PDA

View Full Version : Today we found our first geocache!

keeks
11-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Whoever posted here a few weeks ago about geocaching - thank you!

We finally got round to go in search for our first one. It was nowhere to be found, but when we read people's logs we realised it had probably been removed.

We went for another one in the afternoon, and this time we found it! :clapping:

The only thing is I think we messed up - we didn't realise you weren't supposed to be seen by others. When I read what others had written it was all "lots of people in this area, stealth required" and "lots of mugglers about, which didn't help". Mugglers? Oh dear! :D

We were all calling each other, "look, I think it's over there" "read the clue again", "It says it's only 2 meters away!" in excitement! :blush::D

Looking forward to our next outing!

xx

sarah707
11-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Sounds fun! Well done finding one! :clapping:

PixiePetal
11-02-2012, 10:02 PM
:clapping:

I love it and am spending my evenings planning my holiday in Cornwall with lots to find wherever we go - think I have found 108 at the moment :thumbsup:

You are quite near me - we might bump into each other on a caching trip :laughing:

I got my sister started and she has found over 500 since last summer - and set about 10 of her own where she lives in Essex/Suffolk

AgentTink
11-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi keeks it's sounds like fun. We have been looking at the idea for a while now but not really done anything about it. Can I ask what Internet site did you use to get the co-ordinates? Did you pay anything to do so?

PixiePetal
11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi! Look on Geocaching.com

You need to register - free but you can pay to upgrade to premium member later. Instructions are on the site

You need a GPS - hand held device but if you have a good phone with apps you can use that I think. I started locally without one and guessed where they would be by local knowledge

I now have a simple Garmin Etrex H GPS, most people seem to start with that type

Good luck :)

keeks
12-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Hi keeks it's sounds like fun. We have been looking at the idea for a while now but not really done anything about it. Can I ask what Internet site did you use to get the co-ordinates? Did you pay anything to do so?

I registered the basic membership that is free. I then downloaded the app for my htc phone but I had to pay for that, something like £7 I think. I was a bit reluctant to pay but then I thought about how much it would cost to meet someone for a drink instead and decided it was worth it. It is such a great idea and brilliant for kids (even teens, at least so far).

PixiePetal knows loads more, I have just started scratching the surface. :D

Good luck! :thumbsup:

xx

keeks
12-02-2012, 12:41 AM
:clapping:

I love it and am spending my evenings planning my holiday in Cornwall with lots to find wherever we go - think I have found 108 at the moment :thumbsup:

You are quite near me - we might bump into each other on a caching trip :laughing:

I got my sister started and she has found over 500 since last summer - and set about 10 of her own where she lives in Essex/Suffolk

500! You need to cut down on your work hours if you're going to keep up! :D

I am sure we will meet on the Downs! :thumbsup:

xx

Roseolivia
12-02-2012, 07:07 AM
It's loads of fun isn't it. I think i get more excited than Rose does. My oh doesn't get the whole geocaching thing:(thinks it's daft and if we do any on holiday has no patience at all.

Think i've done about 16 up to now but there's loads to find in our local town so may do some next week.

Have fun

Jellytots79
12-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Ooh this sounds fun :) Have had a quick look and there are loads around here :D

Joda
12-02-2012, 10:05 AM
I went with a friend a couple of months ago who spends her weekends geocaching - I got very excited when we eventually found it and she told me off for drawing attention to it as it's supposed to be a secret.