PDA

View Full Version : brick fireplace

melco
10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi, In my lounge I have a brick fireplace which goes along a wall and there is no real fire there just a stove heater. On my risk assessment I have put that I will buy a play pen that I can put round it for safety but I was just wondering what other people thought or if they have the same problem and whether I am being too careful. I am looking to use the dining room as the main area for childminding and using the lounge more for quiet time but I have pre-reg visit on Monday and want to make sure that my risk assessment are all ok.

Thanks in advance

Mel x

Jiorjiina
10-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I do exactly the same as you're planning with your layout, so I think it's a good idea to have the brick fireplace cornered off. You're likely to have a couple of small children running around indoors, so you can never be too careful with sharp corners. Especially brick ones. My brother has an excellent scar from when he fell on one as a child (He was an adventurous boy).

My tiled fireplace has a fireguard around it to stop mindees falling on to it, and it doesn't work as a fireplace either.