PDA

View Full Version : Ten year old mindee wants to play out...

Sam'sScallwags
10-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone this is the first time I have posted on here and was hoping to get some advice. I mind my friends 10 year old boy, when he is at home he is allowed to play out, go to the park and generally play out and about where ever he likes. I have concerns about letting him out on his own whilst in my care. I don't know where I stand with insurance also what about him walking to mine from school. I have my own 10 year who knows his boundaries and I don't give the freedom that my friends son has. It is getting frustrating for him and myself. What would you do in this situation? Does anyone else mind 10 year olds and have the same issue? Many thanks x :(

sarah707
10-02-2012, 08:30 PM
It depends on who you are insured with - one allows it and one doesn't.

And I can't for the life of me remember which way round it is :rolleyes:

Who is your insurer? :D

rosebud
10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
I had one in the past that was friends with a girl down the road and wanted to play out with her. I always said no, I just couldn't face the responsibility of something happening to her and didn't know what I would do if she had an accident or something and I had the other children to care for. I'm sure others have different views but my own is that I am being paid to care for that child and I need to know exactly where she is (ie in my house / garden!) in order to do that.

BucksCM
25-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone this is the first time I have posted on here and was hoping to get some advice. I mind my friends 10 year old boy, when he is at home he is allowed to play out, go to the park and generally play out and about where ever he likes. I have concerns about letting him out on his own whilst in my care. I don't know where I stand with insurance also what about him walking to mine from school. I have my own 10 year who knows his boundaries and I don't give the freedom that my friends son has. It is getting frustrating for him and myself. What would you do in this situation? Does anyone else mind 10 year olds and have the same issue? Many thanks x :(

I look after an 11yo, he walks from the junior school(about7 minutes away)
I have written and signed permission from the parents that he's allowed to walk home to mine (he lives at the end of my road, mum let him walk home before i had him). I found the permissin form on the Bromley CM site.

Years ago, when i had my son and a cm boy 6 months younger, who wanted to play beyond the gates, I just explained to them and the parents that the children are insurred "whilst in my care" and to play off down the road or up at the park isn't "in my care".

If you have a good working relationship, i would sit down and discuss it with your friend and let her know that "your house-your rules and bounderies" so to speak...let her know that he's getting frustrated but that he needs to know why he can't just go off and ask her to help you and explain this to her son.
Does your son play with him, are they friends? If not, then I can understand how this can be a difficult situation. Maybe find a common interest?

My daughter is nearly 12 and I look after and 11yo boy...but the situation is different because mum and I are friends and so are the children. Sometimes they go upstairs and play in her room without the little ones around(permissin saught from parents as I'm downstairs and they are not in sight) and sometimes they join in with the little ones..."we're just showing them how to do it"...and then really getting in to it! :laughing:

caz3007
25-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I had some children who were 12 and at High School and allowed to play out or go to the park on their own when at home. I explained that when they were with me, things were different and they stayed in my garden, all were fine with it.

They did arrive independantly and I also used a Bromley policy for guidance. Parents agreed with me and they always had their phones and if they were late they either called me or I called them.