PDA

View Full Version : No Pre-Registration session!!!

emmalou1984
10-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi

I was made redundant from my last job so I have decided to use this opportunity and train as a childminder as its something I have all ways wanted to do.

I have read about the steps to take. I got in contact with my local fsi (vale of glamorgan) and tried to book the pre-registration session only to be told the next one is booked and they dont know when the next one will be - the lady on the phone said it might be in a couple of months because of the end of the financial year and stuff is changing.

I'm really disappointed about this and I dont know what else to do! Any one else heard of this? If there is any advice going let me know!

sarah707
10-02-2012, 05:15 PM
It's the same story in England unfortunately - lots of people are struggling to get on courses :(

I hope your sort something out! xx

tulip0803
10-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Unfortunately there is limited spaces on the breifing sessions due to the size of the venue (often an office). Let them know that you would like to be told if anyone tells them know that they are not coming and you would like to take their place.

Unfortunately you have to attend the briefing session to be able to get on to the mext step. They will give you paperwork, tell you when and how to book on the pre-registration course and tell you about what being a childminder is about (many people drop out at this point!). I had to attend a briefing session with the CSSIW despite already having been a childminder in England who had moved!

Caterpillar
11-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi,

this exact same thing happened to me at this exact time last year!

I registered with Ofsted all on my own without the nod or say so of the LA.

It was my understanding that being a registered childminder, I would be working for myself and not under the control of the LA! When I rang Ofsted, they confirmed this!

They directed me to the forms to fill in, basically all you need to do is register for Government Gateway and complete your EY application and declaration, get onto your doctor for medical etc and complete crb check forms for everyone over 16 in your house, which Ofsted send you!

DONT WAIT FOR THE LA TO DECIDE TO RUN A COURSE - ITS YOUR BUSINESS - go for it without them.

I did this and the LA soon got in touch with me and offered me a place on their pre-reg course once I had already registered. Ofsted said that as long as you do the Pre-Reg and Safeguarding courses within 6 months of registration you are fine!!!!!

Don't let the LA rule your business - they are there to support and advise.

Good luck.

aly
11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Hi,

this exact same thing happened to me at this exact time last year!

I registered with Ofsted all on my own without the nod or say so of the LA.

It was my understanding that being a registered childminder, I would be working for myself and not under the control of the LA! When I rang Ofsted, they confirmed this!

They directed me to the forms to fill in, basically all you need to do is register for Government Gateway and complete your EY application and declaration, get onto your doctor for medical etc and complete crb check forms for everyone over 16 in your house, which Ofsted send you!

DONT WAIT FOR THE LA TO DECIDE TO RUN A COURSE - ITS YOUR BUSINESS - go for it without them.

I did this and the LA soon got in touch with me and offered me a place on their pre-reg course once I had already registered. Ofsted said that as long as you do the Pre-Reg and Safeguarding courses within 6 months of registration you are fine!!!!!

Don't let the LA rule your business - they are there to support and advise.

Good luck.

Actually She is in wales so the process is different to england, and therefore she cannot proceed without the briefing session....as others have said it is to do with the funding....You may want to phone back and tell them to put your name down for when the next session starts.

tulip0803
16-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Actually She is in wales so the process is different to england, and therefore she cannot proceed without the briefing session....as others have said it is to do with the funding....You may want to phone back and tell them to put your name down for when the next session starts.

As Aly says it is different in Wales and the breifing session is run by the CSSIW (Wales registering body bit like OFSTED) not the LA. In Wales it is not possible to register the way that you have. ALL required courses have to be done before you can even hand the application forms in (which are only given out on the breifing sessions).

Tillie80
05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Hey, i've only recently started looking into the childminder course, im based in Rhondda Cynon Taff area.

I spoke to LA last week who advised no pre-reg briefing at moment but they gave me info over the phone and then referred me to NCMA Cardiff. There was no course running that i could join so could either wait for one to start or do online course. Waiting to start online CYPOP5. Have spoke to NCMA and LA who both advised this is acceptable to CSSIW.

I am a bit confused with the process since ive seen a lot of threads advising CYPOP5 not accepted by CSSIW.

emmalou1984
06-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi, I have now started the CYPOP5 course through ncma. I looked into it, and you are right its a bit confusing on how to register and how to start. I contacted CSSIW and they said the pre reg session isnt compulsory and i could do the CYPOP online and then register with them.

It sounds like your local authority is a lot more helpful then mine.

Good luck with the course! :)