PDA

View Full Version : help please!

charlie
08-02-2012, 08:05 PM
can anyone help me please? im having an extension built on my house as a playroom solely for childminding. is there any way i can put these costs through my accounts?

MrAnchovy
08-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm afraid not.

aly
08-02-2012, 08:59 PM
not the building work but you can claim to kit it out, ie book shelves furniture etc.

MrAnchovy
08-02-2012, 11:43 PM
not the building work but you can claim to kit it out, ie book shelves furniture etc.

You have to be very careful about claiming for furniture because you can only claim for any furniture that is used EXCLUSIVELY for childminding. Bookcases full of books and toys are OK, but sofas, carpets, curtains, blinds and other soft furnishings will be used by anyone that is using the room: your 10% wear and tear allowance covers these items. If your are saying that you use the room exclusively for childminding, you may be liable for capital gains tax on part of any gain when you sell your house.

charlie
09-02-2012, 12:24 PM
many thanks for the answer. ive also read somewhere that i can pay my teenager to clean up the childminding toys at the end of each day. Is this really the case and if so any ideas what would be a reasonable amount?

rickysmiths
09-02-2012, 12:57 PM
many thanks for the answer. ive also read somewhere that i can pay my teenager to clean up the childminding toys at the end of each day. Is this really the case and if so any ideas what would be a reasonable amount?

Yes you can I, put through £10 a week each for my two for running errands, cleaning up, helping on outings that I couldn't do if they didn't come. Tjis was my accounts advise many years ago.

vickie74
12-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Isnt there something about if a part of your house is used exclusively for business purposes it can affect the council tax?? Like I said, dont know if I have read/heard/or dreamt that one......

V x:blush:

MrAnchovy
12-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Isnt there something about if a part of your house is used exclusively for business purposes it can affect the council tax?? Like I said, dont know if I have read/heard/or dreamt that one......

V x:blush:

Yes it is possible that a Rating Authority may be able to assess that part of the property for Business Rates instead of Council Tax. To avoid this (and the Capital Gains Tax problem), make sure that there is no part of the house that is not used by your family at least some of the time.