PDA

View Full Version : Do you allow time for payment?

greenfields
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
For those who are paid in advance...

I'd prefer to give out monthly invoices in advance, or fortnightly if someone insists. But I'm wondering, do you allow x amount of days for payment to be received before adding late charges?

If so, how many?

Happy Bunny
07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
I give out mine 2 weeks in advance, I say that payment must be made on the last day before the last invoice has run out. If that makes sense.

sarah707
07-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I give invoices out the first week of the month and ask for payment that week.

if it's later than that week I withdraw care until it's paid - I've only had to do it once and surprisingly now money comes in on time.

However if you are with NCMA you cannot do that - you have to take parents through your notice period as stated on your contract.

Hth :D

greenfields
07-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I give invoices out the first week of the month and ask for payment that week.

if it's later than that week I withdraw care until it's paid - I've only had to do it once and surprisingly now money comes in on time.

However if you are with NCMA you cannot do that - you have to take parents through your notice period as stated on your contract.

I will be with NCMA.
So if parents don't pay say, for February, I have to continue giving care for February but give notice and work the 4 weeks notice?

:eek:

sarahjane
07-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I give out my invoices during the last week of the month and state that money must be in my account by the last working day of the month. Most parents manage to achieve this, I only have one who pays via vouchers and this always goes in around 6th of month which is a pain, but they have been with me for 6 years so I let them off!

loocyloo
07-02-2012, 11:30 AM
i invoice about 2 weeks before the end of the month for the following minth, and the money must be in my account by the end of the working day on the 1st of that month!

works well. i check the day before and sent a generic text reminding payment due if anyone hasn't yet paid. always been fine. i have one mum who pays by cheque, and gives it to me the closest session before the 1st her child attends. so then it is down to me to get to the bank :rolleyes: but its ok, as its only one child, a few hours a week! everyone else does internet banking.

i say that if fees haven't been received, then care will not be provided ( haven't had to enforce that yet! )

sarah707
07-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I will be with NCMA.
So if parents don't pay say, for February, I have to continue giving care for February but give notice and work the 4 weeks notice?

:eek:

There is a document in free downloads that discusses the different ways the insurance companies deal with things.

I do not believe anything has changed since it was written.

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/nonpayingparents.html

miffy
07-02-2012, 01:10 PM
My contracts all say monthly in advance by the 1st of the month so I make sure my invoices go out in time for parents to make the payment so that it clears by that date.

If they miss it or payment clears later then I will speak to them about it (I don't jump straight in with late payment charges) but if it happened again the following month I would charge.

Miffy xx

Tatjana
07-02-2012, 02:25 PM
In my new ncma contracts the guidance notes read 'Parents accept the childminder can suspend their services and refuse to care for the child until all fees are paid'.

Thank goodness they changed it!!

Playmate
07-02-2012, 02:39 PM
In my new ncma contracts the guidance notes read 'Parents accept the childminder can suspend their services and refuse to care for the child until all fees are paid'.

Thank goodness they changed it!!

Thank you I was just about to put this :D

We don't invoice parents, because all of ours pay 12 equal payments a year one each month. The fee is due during the first week of the month and all parents set up direct transfer or standing order directly into our bank account. We have never had a non paying parent! Obviously if an adjustment needs to be made then we would put it in writting to them ie if we had time off sick (which we haven't in 5 years :D).

greenfields
07-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Wonderful. Thank you for your help, all.

(I admit to having a little panic over the NCMA contract! :rolleyes:)

Playmate
07-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Wonderful. Thank you for your help, all.

(I admit to having a little panic over the NCMA contract! :rolleyes:)

Its worth spending a little time reading and absorbing even though its quite intense. :D

greenfields
07-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I haven't got the NCMA's toolkit and contracts (yet) but I do have an old sample which I have read quite a few time now. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I start...
If I ever start!! ;)