PDA

View Full Version : Next steps on Learning Journeys

bekki0405
06-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi fellow forum readers

I invited a friend around who knows an awful lot about the EYFS, to discuss about how I could improve on my learning journeys. She told me that Ofsted would look at an observation, for example a photo of a child playing with water, and would look to see what next steps were written about which covered each of the 6 areas of learning. I only write a brief next step, and don't link this to the EYFS. For example in the above scenario, I would have written 'next we will investigate other materials which flow such as sand, pasta etc.' or 'we will measure water using jugs and cuos and saucepans'.

Do we really have to think about this sort of thing when writing these journals??

loocyloo
06-02-2012, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=bekki0405;1049236]Hi fellow forum readers

I invited a friend around who knows an awful lot about the EYFS, to discuss about how I could improve on my learning journeys. She told me that Ofsted would look at an observation, for example a photo of a child playing with water, and would look to see what next steps were written about which covered each of the 6 areas of learning. I only write a brief next step, and don't link this to the EYFS. For example in the above scenario, I would have written 'next we will investigate other materials which flow such as sand, pasta etc.' or 'we will measure water using jugs and cuos and saucepans'.

QUOTE]

thats all i do, my DO and other network assessor were happy with that, as was the deputy head at my childrens old school who was an EYFS lecturer & expert!
i make sure that i note all areas covered by the observation, but generally only look for one next step! sometimes the next step is 'more of the same' !!

miffy
06-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I only write a brief next step, and don't link this to the EYFS.

When you do the next step do you link it to the EYFS? That's what I do.

Miffy xx

rosebud
06-02-2012, 04:26 PM
I also only do brief next steps and they are quite often "continue ......." or "more of the same". The only link to EYFS is to scribble initials (CD, PD, etc) on the top of the sheet to demonstrate which area(s) it links to. I do occasional "formal" observations and do link these using wording from the EYFS guidance and page numbers but I probably only do one every couple of months for each child, the other observations are just things that I notice in the day-to-day run of things. My DO is happy with what I do as was the teacher I had supporting me for 3-4 year old funding and so was Mrs O when she came last year.

lynnfi
17-02-2012, 02:40 PM
What I tend to do is link the observations to the 6 areas, quickly.
I think what they want is that we actually know the 6 areas and not forget to plan things in each one of them to have sth harmonious for the children.
So my advice would be to know them really well, to have an good overview of where each child's dvlpt is at, at any one time, to plan things more in such or such area if you see there is a lack in that field, and plan general activities that you know will cover the 6 if you look at them from an overall point of view.
I link my observations quickly so that I have written proof of my using them, but what I really care about is what is in my head, and how I can use all this for the children. (I am a planning freak:jump for joy:)
So the impt thing is if they ask you anything, you are able to give them a whole well-thought package because you have actually done the work for yourself:)
You can know all this better than they do!:D

lynnfi
17-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Sorry, realised I am not really answering the question:cool:. In a word, I do not write any next steps anywhere as such. I just do some plannings based on assessments made from my observations. The planning is the next step.
Len:)

sarah707
17-02-2012, 03:58 PM
As lynnfi says the child's individual planning is the next step and all planning starts with obs.

They don't have to be complicated - just a note of what the child is doing or saying and a link to the Eyfs.

Then you think - how can i enhance this child's learning experience? This is your next step.

When you have followed through the next step come back to it and make a note to show progression.

Hth :D