PDA

View Full Version : Mindees being ill - what do u do?

johanna77
06-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Hi

Just a quick question, I mind a baby and a toddler and over the past month they have both been ill with different things and the last one it ended up me getting a viral infection and heavy cold. My policy states I will accept with minor coughs and colds, but I have been having them as I didnt want to upset the parents, my mistake.
This morning, just had a text from the babys mum saying she isnt well got a cold, I asked did she have a temptreature she said no but to keep an eye on it. I want to say if she gets worse during the day and I have to adminster calpol I will ring mum for collection.
Just wondering what other people would do
I hate this bit of the job

Jo

llkbabob
06-02-2012, 09:55 AM
My policy is the same coughs and cold fine. I do say if the child has a temperture they have to stay at home or if they get one with me i ask parents to collect. I am quite happy to give calpol, but if i think this is not working i ask them to collect its not fair on the child all they want is mom or dad and to be comfort in their home
you also have other mindees to look after

tess1981
06-02-2012, 09:59 AM
I don't mind having children with colds and coughs but let the parent know you keep an eye on the child and if you feel they are getting worse you will arrange for collection...
just explain you discussed this with (in my case our social worker) who ever supports you being a childminder and they have advised you this is what you need to do. I have been told that if a child has a temp and it needs to be controlled by calpol the child needs to go home because if the child takes a convulsion related to the temp they i am held responsible if i do not ask parent to collect... :(

good luck :):o

rickysmiths
06-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't mind coughs and colds as long as the child can take part in normal daily activities.

If they need Calpol they go home. I do not keep Calpol in the house and never have.

mrs robbie williams
06-02-2012, 05:39 PM
i take them coughs and colds (and usually end up catching them myself :laughing:) but i make it clear that they have to be able to take part in normal day to day activities, schoolies must be able to attend school, little ones must be able to go out to do school run, playgroups etc. I have a little one at the moment who is constantly teething so i do give calpol if mum requests it x

miffy
06-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't mind coughs and colds as long as the child can take part in normal daily activities.

If they need Calpol they go home. I do not keep Calpol in the house and never have.

I am the same. I am willing to give calpol if needed (say to relieve a sudden temperature) and then I send them home :D

Miffy xx

Nick22
06-02-2012, 06:36 PM
This is so tricky - I also think we need to consider relationships with parents - my own daughter has been quite poorly with a chronic health issue for many years and I was out working - I would have had to give up my job completely if I hadn't had such good support from a fab childminder and a fab school.
Our policy is - if they have had meds at home - parents fill in the meds slip 9spare one in the back of the childs diary ready for such occasions) - we will give one further dose of calpol if it is needed, put parent on alert and if no better then send home. Temps above 37.5 we send straight home. Unless the child has a known chronic health issue which we will have planned for - we try to make sure the child is well enough to have a normal day in the setting, if they are needing nursing then they need to be at home. We have had one parent who fought the system and made things very difficult with this, claiming the child was not ill, even when he vomited profusely in our setting she expected to bring him back the next day, we ended up giving her notice and she subsequently made a complaint to ofsted. Our paperwork backed us up and Ofsted were great about it, didn't take the complaint further. It is good to have very clear policies on medicines, accidents and sickness and stick to them, that way parents know the boundaries!