PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal...

lucyD
06-02-2012, 09:09 AM
for parents to go quiet after telling them fees. Told mum my hourly rate when here but said I would email costs based on what she wanted. Have now done this a few days ago & heard nothing!! You would think they would at least acknowledge the email!!! Think she may have been shocked I want to charge her for when 3 year old is in pre-school but she wants to come to me at 7, take her there, collect & then be picked up @ 5pm so have charged her for a full day!!

What are your experiences? I know for a fact she will have trouble finding a childminder in the area to take both her children on that early. Hoping she just wants to check out the competition & she will come back to me but worried I have lost out.

Welcome anyone elses experience of parents as these are my first after reg 2 weeks ago :)

boxtree7
06-02-2012, 09:14 AM
I think its normal sometimes .... I had a young ask for my fees - I pass her at the school and she doesn't acknowledge me.

Mouse
06-02-2012, 09:25 AM
I think it can be quite normal for some parents to be shocked at the fee. Even though they have an idea of what it's going to be, it looks frighteningly real when it's written down!

You could email parents again and say you hope they got your email & if they have any questions, get back to you. Unfortunately though, you have to get used to parents making an enquiry, seeming keen, then never hearing from them again :rolleyes:

You do also find that some parents come to see us, decide they want to use us, then forget to tell us that! They don't realise that we're waiting (not so)patiently to know they're decision and just take their time getting back in touch!

Sunflowers
06-02-2012, 09:30 AM
its the paying for hours when the child is not with you that comes as a shock.
Sometimes you have to very slowly and clearly explain about the limits on numbers, the unlikely hood of filling the 4,5,6 hours between preschool drop and collect and the fact that you could earn a ful day if you had a 0,1,2 year old instead......
often you can hear the cogs turn and the penny drop

you should have seen the faces of parents I had hear last week who only want term time anf 1 hour before and 1 hour after pre school.... wait till you telm some about charging for 6 weeks they wont be attending lol

lucyD
06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks. Yes I did explain about the limited spaces etc I can understand they need to think about it & compare fees elsewhere etc but if it was me I would have the courtesy to at least say thanks for email will let you know!!

Oh well, I have lots to learn don't I!!

Its been my first real enquiry so just got my hopes up & hearing NOTHING is actually worse than them saying thanks but no thanks as I feel like I'm hanging on, keep checking my emails all the time!

Just gotta hope I get more phone calls soon, I can imagine it takes a while when you are a newbie ;)

Sunflowers
06-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Lucy just stick with it! I've not being going long..
was lucky to get 2 part timers when i opened but they were people i knew prior to registering.
this last month though I've had lots more enquiries (ok not all workable) but have a couple families coming to see me this week who would sort the old lack of income our :)

chin up, afraid you may see the worst of some people, but you will also get to see the best too! rough with the smoove and all that

CH1957
06-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Its just part of the job unfortunately!
Ive had parents come to see me and then not get back to me and also parents who make an appointment and then just dont turn up and parents who say they want you to have the child and then dont come back to do the paperwork!
Im fairly new and hoping I get used to this side of things but it doesnt take much to send a quick text or email to say no thanks! I just think if the parents havent got any manners then the children wont be any better.

miffy
06-02-2012, 03:44 PM
You have a choice - either try and put it out of your mind and hope she comes back to you eventually or contact her again to see if she's made her mind up.

Fingers crossed for you

Good luck
Miffy xx

Trouble
06-02-2012, 03:50 PM
i think they are working things out in their head:idea:

one thing you should never do as childminder was second guess what parent is thinking or you will think al sorts :panic:

lucyD
06-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks all!! Yup gonna put it outta my head! If its not meant to be its her loss & it may be best as may get something that is perfect for me & my family! & as you say if she cant be bothered to be polite then may not be the best mum to work with anyway. Onwards & upwards!!:)