PDA

View Full Version : inspector coming and shy 3 yr old and 2 yr old no eatter

chez
05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I have recently had my call for my first grading inspection next mon or tue.

The young 3 yr old I look after is very shy and has speach delay, he will not talk at all around people he does not know and can become withdrawn in actions if you try and talk to him.

When a parent came for a 2nd meeting this week to sign contracts he was silent for the hr she was here tho she tried to talk to him a few times.

Should I mention anything to the inspector about his shyness I do not want her thinking my children are not settled as he is fine when his in familiar company.

I also have a 2 yr old who will go a day with no food then eat loads and then eat nothing for a day or two again - parents arent concerned. Often meal times she will just scream through, and is worse if I stay with her. I normally go into the kitchen which has a hatch through to living room so I can see her then she will eat a little - sometimes.

Inspector is coming at 10.30 either monday or tuesday, if its monday both the children above will be present, tuesday itll be the first child and a 6 mth old. I am going to do snack before 10.30 so she is not there for food to try and keep the child calmer but Im concerned she will stay over lunch time.

Help!

Velleity
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
When my inspector came I warned her straight away that the baby I cared for had really bad seperation anxiety and would cry whenever I put her down or left the room. I even asked her to hold the baby for me while I made her a bottle because if she gets too upset then she can't drink and I didn't want a hysterical baby during my inspection. Luckily it all went well and with Mrs. Ofsted's help we kept her calm and she was really happy throughout! I guess it depends on your Inspector but it doesn't hurt to explain.

sarah707
06-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Your inspector will want to see you meeting the needs of the children - whatever those needs might be.

however it's not good practice to leave a child alone in a room eating because of the risk of choking so you might need to re-think how you manage that one.

Good luck with your inspection. :D

miffy
06-02-2012, 07:57 AM
No advice to offer but just wanted to wish you good luck

Miffy xx

wendywu
06-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Write an assessment of both children and put in place actions on how you will overcome their problems.

Like chatting away to the shy child and not asking questions so that it puts them on the spot having to answer.

Singing songs and rhymes and hoping the child might one day join in.
Have a signing poster up and teach the little one to sign for things he wants.

For the child who does not eat state that you, get them to help prepare lunch, cut sandwiches up with cutters, make pitta bread pizza etc
State that you are taking a calm non stress approach to food and keep offering different foods even if they are refused. You are taking care not to make it a battle.

Children have problems, Ofsted want to see that you have recognised them and are planning to help the child overcome them.:)

VeggieSausage
06-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I would make a note in your records regarding issues with both children and then inspector will see that you have noted and are adjusting your care accordingly to meet their needs - good luck x

chez
06-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Your inspector will want to see you meeting the needs of the children - whatever those needs might be.

however it's not good practice to leave a child alone in a room eating because of the risk of choking so you might need to re-think how you manage that one.

Good luck with your inspection. :D

Next to our table is a kitchen hatch, I stand the otherside of the hatch and watch her throughout. The kitchen door is next to the hatch and the living room door is right next door to that so I am practically in the same room and can see her throughout.