PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to learn to drive?

maisiemog
05-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm taking lessons now. I've had 15 hours so far and just wondered how many you think it would be likely to take??

I would like to have passed by the end of the summer. Is that a realistic time frame???

Theory test booked for next month, might postpone it though as I am a bit pants at the hazard perception part!!! Only pass half my practice ones!!! Then when I've passed that I am going to talk to my instructor to see when to book it!

samb
05-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Gosh it really is very individual. Your instructor should be having a fair idea about how you are doing from 15 hours. Have you asked?

I personally was so worried about failing and having to pay out all over again that I put off booking it and eventually passed first time. I don't remember how many lessons it took and I didn't have a car to practise in either.

I don't think it is unreasonable to say you will be driving by the summer however I wouldn't make any plans as yet. When i started I did 5 lessons and then realised I had no money to pay for any more lessons and so I spent the next 6 months saving up some cash before starting again (waste of first 5 really). I passed in March 2000 - I had the incentive of having to drive to my college course I was signed up to from the Sept!

Trouble
05-02-2012, 03:26 PM
lots and lots:blush:

LOOPYLISA
05-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I really can't remember its been over 10 years :eek::laughing:

I did struggle on the therory test, have heard its getting harder too :rolleyes:

babs
05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
I started in Nov and passed following Nov to the date. although didn't have lesson every week was every two.

Suebb1
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I had twenty five lessons!!! But had no car to practise in as my parents didn't drive. My husband learnt after me- only had 5 lessons then two months practise before he took his test. My daughters 10 and 8 lessons. It really is an individual thing, reliant on a good driving instructor and your own confidence. Good luck x

singingcactus
05-02-2012, 04:50 PM
I had 9 lessons, mon - fri, then the following mon - thurs, took my test on that Friday.

jayjay1963
07-02-2012, 04:28 PM
I had 30 hours in 2 hour blocks over a period of 10 weeks and passed 1st time. Hubby had 3 attempts so I was well chuffed LOL!

loocyloo
07-02-2012, 04:35 PM
i had one driving lesson with a very unfriendly, unhelpful, unsympathetic instructor ... didn't go near a car again for a few months! ( my dad was killed in a car accident and i saw ( and still see ) driving as an evil nesecity!!! if i never had to drive again, i wouldn't miss it at all! )

then i did a weeks intensive course, and failed my test at the end of it, but i knew i wasn't ready to take test! so didn't really mind.

i drove around with my stepdad lots, and then had more lessons with aninstructor who had taught my friend and understood that i didn't like driving. when i felt confident ( i could reverse out of my parents drive happily ( long, thin, onto a busy road! ) i took my test and passed, in total i think it was about 20mths!

DH took his test with only a few lessons and passed, but as i'm older than him, i passed my test before him !!!!

talking to a friends daughter taking her test now, i don't think i'd ever pass!good luck xxx

nikki thomson
07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I had 30hrs and Passed first time, that was 16yrs ago
And I've never had so much as a speeding ticket (which my husband is always surprised at), lol. X

EmmaReed84
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Started lessons in July 2009 and passed in the Nov 2009. Had about 20ish hours, although I did do lessons 8 years previous to that and came close to test standard but family issues got in the way and I stupidly never continued.

lozzy23
07-02-2012, 06:42 PM
12 years!!!!

I started lessons when I was 18, failed 1st test, did not drive again until I was 29 then took another test, failed again and then took another test when I was 30 and passed. Got full marks in theory test though:clapping:. I absolutely hate driving and have not driven for years, I had to drive due to working in the evenings and needing to get home.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM
My 12th lesson was actually my test and I passed :clapping::clapping::clapping:

ELLA_J
08-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I had a few lessons then gave up :( I'm a really nervous driver and not feeling in control of the car scared the hell out of me.....I'm thinking of having some cognitive therapy to help me and my constant fear of crashing and running the local cats over!! would love to have a bit more freedom:)

dette
08-02-2012, 03:11 PM
I never wanted to drive but i was forced into it.My first husband was killed in a car crash when i was 22 so was quite nervous
but one of my best mates was learning to be a driving instructor and needed someone to practice on so they were all free.took one a fortnight for about a year.Was really lucky We used to drive for an hour then have a break and go to ASDA fill the boot with 2 weeks of shopping then drive home which took about another hour.I passed first time.This was 6 year ago when i was 33.Still hate driving but at least i can if i have to

kindredspirits
08-02-2012, 04:21 PM
it took me about 20 hours to pass 1st time - although most of that time was because there was a waiting time for my test.
then I married my instructor!! (and now I hate driving because I feel like he is judging me all the time in the car! lol) In fact my nearly 5 year old DS said to me the other day, 'you can't drive you don't have a driving license' so I had to explain that i can drive its just that daddy does all the driving usually!!! :laughing: