PDA

View Full Version : Think I'm underselling myself

greenfields
03-02-2012, 10:33 PM
I've been looking online and the rare occasions that childminders openly state what they charge, it seems I am undercutting myself by 80p-1.55 an hour in my immediate area. Which doesn't sound too much I don't suppose but over a day-week it'll soon add up.
I was comparing myself with the nearby creche but by the time you add their food charges I'm still a little cheaper than them.

I don't want to be greedy but at the same time I'm thinking it'll be harder to increase my fees later, once I'm registered and working.

sharonmanc
04-02-2012, 08:03 AM
I have been doing the same, and have revised all my pricing, in fact I am still messing aound with it. I would say get your pricing inline with pthers in your area

JulieA
04-02-2012, 08:53 AM
It is incredibly hard to increase your prices once you have a family with you. I really struggle with this aspect of the job.

One thing is possibly to take new families at the increased rate, so that eventually all will be on the higher rate as children leave.

I know some increase their fees on contract renewal.

greenfields
04-02-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm not yet registered so I'm thinking now is the time to play about with my fees. But I had set my fees already and had given it a great deal of thought. I didn't want to have no work due to the creche around the corner. But I'm much cheaper than childminders in my area, on average.

Also I include meals and snacks and as we all know food doesn't come cheap. :rolleyes:

Babycat
04-02-2012, 09:48 AM
IMHO I would match the other minders in your area. As a new minder being undercut is already a problem and upset and if you have a close nit community of minders then they talk about the person who is doing the undercutting! (its very school like!) So if you go on par with them or very close you will cut out the talking for a start. Its so hard getting jobs already without being massively undercut.

greenfields
04-02-2012, 10:03 AM
I think there's only 1 other childminder nearby, the rest are further in town. There is a creche nearby.
I've adjusted my prices. I'm now slightly more expensive than the nearby creche and in line with the childminders although not quite as expensive as some! Fees do vary here but I'm not the cheapest childminder any more. ;)
I personally think I will have to consider the (large and fairly new built) creche and although I am a little more expensive being a lot more expensive would encourage people to look there, in my opinion.

Velleity
04-02-2012, 03:19 PM
I have always charged at least a pound more than others in my area per hour and still have parents who are happy to use me. I would never charge less than others, and I'm not saying this is true but for me personally I would wonder what they were doing to make themselves cheaper i.e. giving cheaper food, not going on outings or spending as much on toys. Sometimes parents think paying a little extra gets them a better childminder and in my case I hope that is true as I am happy to spend more on things generally.

Playmate
04-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I have always charged at least a pound more than others in my area per hour and still have parents who are happy to use me. I would never charge less than others, and I'm not saying this is true but for me personally I would wonder what they were doing to make themselves cheaper i.e. giving cheaper food, not going on outings or spending as much on toys. Sometimes parents think paying a little extra gets them a better childminder and in my case I hope that is true as I am happy to spend more on things generally.

I agree, we are more expensive than others in our area and we are full and others aren't. People do pay for quality, but I know its hard when you are first setting up in business. Long term it pays to charge the going rate. I'm afraid generally (and I know there will always be exceptions!) people who are looking at the price before the quality of the service are the sort who are going to muck you around in the long run. If you think you are worth more stick to your guns and the right family will find you and the rest will follow.:D

CH1957
04-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I put in my 'prospectus' that I increase my rates annually by 5% so when the first year is up I increase my fees. Nobody has queried this yet.

greenfields
04-02-2012, 07:08 PM
That's interesting to know CH, I didn't think of that.

I personally think I am worth the expense ;) . I have years of experience in childcare and education (and the qualifications to go with it) and always buy the best of whatever I can. I take pride in my work and want to do a good job. I so see what you are saying Rayberrys & Playmate!

I just soooo need to earn money right now and I need to get started ASAP.

You have given me food for thought though! :thumbsup:
*Goes off to think some more....*

Velleity
04-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Maybe offer a 10% reduction in fees for your first ever client heh

greenfields
04-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Yeah maybe - a special offer. :D

Now I'm nervous. I've looked through others' fees. OH sitting with me. I changed my fees (for the second time today) and then he convinced me they were still too cheap. So now I'm definitely in line with others... infact a little more expensive than some. And certainly more expensive than the creche! :panic:

I so need this to work so I hope this won't put any off. :blush:

Babycat
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Yeah maybe - a special offer. :D

Now I'm nervous. I've looked through others' fees. OH sitting with me. I changed my fees (for the second time today) and then he convinced me they were still too cheap. So now I'm definitely in line with others... infact a little more expensive than some. And certainly more expensive than the creche! :panic:

I so need this to work so I hope this won't put any off. :blush:

Do creche's not have maximum amount of hours they can care for? and what are they offering in terms of care? do they take kids out etc? x

jadavi
08-02-2012, 04:47 AM
After only six months I am now the most expensive here by 50p an hour but I realised I felt I was feeling resentful for knocking myself out for a day's work for less. I agree with what others have said on here about people expecting quality from a good price. I find parents REALLY appreciate everything being included - top quality meals snacks drinks and trips and most entrance fees(not nappies but considering those too now.) they seem to think it is mean and penny pinching to charge for meals from my feedback.
I am also nearly full and know that my patents are singing my praises to other people cos they tell me so I don't regret my pricing .
Good luck!

greenfields
08-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the advice.

My hourly rate is about the average now. I've found several childminders in the area cheaper than me, several the same and only one more expensive.

I will be including meals, snacks and drinks as I can't be doing with who had what, who's not having this and so on.

I used to work in a creche so I should know of all people that creches don't offer the same service as a childminder. :blush:

Wish me luck! :)

Playmate
08-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the advice.

My hourly rate is about the average now. I've found several childminders in the area cheaper than me, several the same and only one more expensive.

I will be including meals, snacks and drinks as I can't be doing with who had what, who's not having this and so on.

I used to work in a creche so I should know of all people that creches don't offer the same service as a childminder. :blush:

Wish me luck! :)

Just be confident that you are offering the best service. Promote the fact that meals and snacks are fully inclusive, this is a good selling point. I like you can't be bothered with charging extra for meals and the amount I spent on food is is expenditure that keeps the tax bill down! A lot of parents will want this service. We put out out a questionnaire to all our parents last year asking them what had attracted them to us over other childminders and gave them a list of reasons to choose from. The first was our outstanding grading (that will come to you in time if you really want it :D) the second highest reason was our all inclusive daily rate.

Its all about finding your unique selling point and using it :D
:thumbsup:

greenfields
08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Just be confident that you are offering the best service. Promote the fact that meals and snacks are fully inclusive, this is a good selling point. I like you can't be bothered with charging extra for meals and the amount I spent on food is is expenditure that keeps the tax bill down! A lot of parents will want this service. We put out out a questionnaire to all our parents last year asking them what had attracted them to us over other childminders and gave them a list of reasons to choose from. The first was our outstanding grading (that will come to you in time if you really want it :D) the second highest reason was our all inclusive daily rate.

Its all about finding your unique selling point and using it :D
:thumbsup:

I want to do everything to the best of my ablity so I hope I do make this work, that parents see I'm a tryer! Playmate, you must be very proud of your feedback - I know I would be. I have included in my application that I will be giving out questionnaires... what a good question to use. And you can get users perceptions of your unique selling point(s;)).
Well, I hope I am as successful as you and many members of this forum. :thumbsup: