PDA

View Full Version : Is Contract legally binding if parent under 18?

the_nanny_uk2
03-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this as there seems to be a fair bit of confusion.

The parent of my mindee is 17yrs old. My contract is with her and Care 2 learn pay me. She recently broke her contract and I need to collect fees from her for 5hrs Late Collection!!! Some people are saying the contract wont hold up as she is under 18 and needs another adult to sign it with her, whilst others are saying the legal age for consent is 16 plus she is the parent of the child.

Heeelllppppppppppp

Pipsqueak
03-02-2012, 08:44 PM
As far as I am, aware yes the contract is legally binidng.

I would check with NCMA or whomevers contracts you use or your insurers.

Playmate
03-02-2012, 08:57 PM
If the parent is under 18 you should have another adult sign it. When I have worked with under 18's usually their social worker or their parent signs it.

the_nanny_uk2
03-02-2012, 09:05 PM
If the parent is under 18 you should have another adult sign it. When I have worked with under 18's usually their social worker or their parent signs it.

'should' ?? does that mean its not legally binding now?

Pipsqueak
03-02-2012, 09:50 PM

I have always been led to believe this is a grey area:
the parent despite them being under 18 is the legal guardian of that child
now the grey bit comes about an under 18 signing a contract.

Playmate
03-02-2012, 09:59 PM
NCMA contracts stipulate this, but you will need to check your contracts :D

Babycat
04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
It should be legally binding. It would be a disgrace not to. Is it not also discrimination?

If I was 17 and a parent looking for care for my child (also able to join the army etc) and was told my mum had to sign the contract too I'd have a few choice words to say.

Sorry Im no help just read and wanted to comment! lol

The Juggler
04-02-2012, 01:27 PM
i would think that you would need both the parent (as the legal guardian) AND another adult over 18 to sign it to make it legally binding.

Bob
04-02-2012, 08:02 PM
No idea about the contract sorry, but 5 HOURS late! Did she get lost or was she given a detention.

the_nanny_uk2
04-02-2012, 08:18 PM
No idea about the contract sorry, but 5 HOURS late! Did she get lost or was she given a detention.

Who knows Bob! She finally rang me at 8pm (3hrs late) rambling about something, not coherent at all. Something bout sleep, woke, tried to ring. Errr no she didnt! As I had already phoned the Police and Social Services by that time i wasnt allowed to hand him over until they had seen her. So I then had to keep him with me until a suitable family member could be found as the Police didnt deem her responsible either. I felt awful for ringing the Police and SS but what else was I supposed to do? Its not a one off either, frequently doesnt drop child off with out any reasons, late picking up by 15 mins or so, not to this extent!

i hope not all families are like this