PDA

View Full Version : photo ob

claire & steve
03-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi i have been looking through my journals and i use photo obs sheets that i downloaded, do i have to do it this way because my son brought home his learning journal today from school and they have put photos on card and then a comment, link to eyfs and next steps on a white sticker under each photo and it looks so pretty, busy and interesting to look through and read...

moggy
03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
You can do it anyway you like! I do mine with a photo, short paragraph or couple of sentences and then the area such as CD/PD/CCL etc. I do my 'next steps' as a more general thing every few months across all areas of learning, rather than trying to think of a next step directly related to each obs. Everyone has their own way- adapt what you do to suit you own style and preferences.

rickysmiths
03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
I do my LJ like a scrap book. I put lots of photos which I label and use the NCMA stickers to link to areas of learning and examples of any work, this may be a photo if its 'lumpy'!.

About once every 2-3 moonths I do a more formal observation on a sheet and link in next steps. I then link this into the ages and Stages sheet.

I find that this looks fun and shows what the child is doing week on week.

JulieA
04-02-2012, 09:13 AM
I do my LJ like a scrap book. I put lots of photos which I label and use the NCMA stickers to link to areas of learning and examples of any work, this may be a photo if its 'lumpy'!.

About once every 2-3 moonths I do a more formal observation on a sheet and link in next steps. I then link this into the ages and Stages sheet.

I find that this looks fun and shows what the child is doing week on week.

I do the same - I have a ringbinder and add sheets of coloured paper to which I stick photos and add a little caption, then add a NCMA sticker to link to Area of L&D. At the back I have the formal section with the EYFS tracker ages/stages thing which I highlight once a term. I then do a Summative Assessment once a term (April, August and December) with a quick comment on successes against each area, suggestive next steps and a section for parents to comment. Funny enough the parents only really look through the pictures.

claire & steve
04-02-2012, 10:59 AM
do we not have to do next steps for every ob we do then, could i do next steps just monthly... thank you

sarah707
04-02-2012, 11:27 AM
You don't need next steps for every obs because not every obs needs a next steps!

some obs are stand alone comments or statements about the child's achievements or things they have done / said.

However most obs will naturally lead you to a next steps idea which you will use to enhance the child's learning experience.

Hth :D