PDA

View Full Version : Can ofsted out us?

chez
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Im due my first Ofsted inspection, after reading a few peoples inspection Ive noticed a patten that they all start... She lives with her husband .....

I live with my girlfriend and while I am happy for some people to know this and Im not over hiden with it I do not want it to be the first sentance that parents see in our inspection report.

My Girlfriend is also my childminding assistant (soon to be co-minder)

Can I ask Ofsted not to "out" us?

Playmate
02-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Really you shouldn't have to ask, but I do get where you are coming from. I was a single parent for many years (before ofsted and reports:rolleyes:) and whilst It didn't bother me being a single parent, I would have hated this being the first thing a parent read :panic: May be you could speak to the inspector before she comes out to inspect you? Good luck :D

ajs
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Hopefully they will just start " lives with her partner " which should cover all unmarried relationships anyway.

Perhaps if you talk about your partner as opposed to your girlfriend then that's how they will refer to her too.

PixiePetal
02-02-2012, 09:18 PM
I can see where you are coming from - if they have to write something about your living situation can they not write 'partner'? This would not lead anyone to any pre conceived ideas.

As it has no relevance to your work I would think you can word it in a way you are happy with :thumbsup:

chez
02-02-2012, 09:18 PM
I know many parents would be fine but Im also aware sadly that many wouldnt be. Currently I care for a young lad whos family falls into the 2nd group. Im very careful what is said around her and I dont want to have to give her a report that clearly spells it out to her. I also dont want it to put people off - and trust me it would for some, before they meet us.

Mouse
02-02-2012, 09:55 PM
When you think about it, why is it relevant at all who we live with? I know Ofsted have to know who we live with for CRB purposes & numbers, but does it make any difference if we are married, single, co-habiting, or whatever?

If a parent makes a judgement based on our marital status ( as some would), how is that fair? Chez, I would ask why anything needs to be written about who you live with and ask that it be left out completely.

chez
02-02-2012, 09:59 PM
I understand it needs to be written for CRB reasons but T is also my childminding assistant so her CRB is because of that and not because she lives here as my partner.

miffy
02-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Hopefully they will just start " lives with her partner " which should cover all unmarried relationships anyway.

That is what I was thinking and how I would ask the inspector to word it.

Miffy xx

MAWI
02-02-2012, 10:14 PM
I wrote my description of my family life in my SEF, I.e I live in a hamlet with my husband and two daughters blah blah blah. In my report the inspector used it almost word for word. Maybe if you refer to your girlfriend as 'partner' in your SEF also, maybe there's a chance that that is how they would write up the report!:)

wendywu
02-02-2012, 10:21 PM
I would say that she is your partner or just friend if you want and say no more. Ofsted have no right to ask if you are sexually involved with anyone.

You can ask for it to be worded how you want. :D

FussyElmo
03-02-2012, 08:13 AM
When I lived with my now husband they put partner down but when we married they put husband.

chez
03-02-2012, 08:28 AM
The problem is I dont want it to say partner either I dont want it to refer to us as a couple at all.

I have parents currently who I know would have a problem with their child being looked after by someone who is gay and so its something Ive managed to keep well away from minding so far.

If it is to say partner and these parents know that T lives with me (tho Ive never said where she sleeps etc) parent will know straight away.

I dont see its important to describe my family life, as it doesn't effect the way I mind.

I understand that if your husband or my girlfriend was not registered to work with the children then it would be important to tell the parents that they lived her but she is and they know she lives here.

I have a feeling at some stage Ofsted became aware of us as a couple possibley when we completed the EY2 form and we had to put what relationship was between us.

Mollymop
03-02-2012, 08:30 AM

Perhaps if you talk about your partner as opposed to your girlfriend then that's how they will refer to her too.

I was going to say this too.

On my last inspection they stated on my report "lives with her partner.." because me and hubby were not married at that point.

x

Mollymop
03-02-2012, 08:31 AM
The problem is I dont want it to say partner either I dont want it to refer to us as a couple at all.

I have parents currently who I know would have a problem with their child being looked after by someone who is gay and so its something Ive managed to keep well away from minding so far.

If it is to say partner and these parents know that T lives with me (tho Ive never said where she sleeps etc) parent will know straight away.

I dont see its important to describe my family life, as it doesn't effect the way I mind.

I understand that if your husband or my girlfriend was not registered to work with the children then it would be important to tell the parents that they lived her but she is and they know she lives here.

I have a feeling at some stage Ofsted became aware of us as a couple possibley when we completed the EY2 form and we had to put what relationship was between us.

Don't tell her that she is your girlfriend, couldn't you just say she is your friend who lodges with you??

Mouse
03-02-2012, 08:34 AM
If they have to put anything, ask them to put "shares a house with a friend", or "lives in a shared house", rather than " lives with her partner".

Pauline
03-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Could you put "works with an assistant who also lives on the premises"

At my inspection last Sept the inspector gave me the sheets with last times wording and asked me to correct anything that was incorrect. We had moved recently so it did need rewording, as we were now in a bungalow not a house. Perhaps you could pre-write what you would like and as it that is how it could be worded?

wendywu
03-02-2012, 12:57 PM
If they have to put anything, ask them to put "shares a house with a friend", or "lives in a shared house", rather than " lives with her partner".

This is what i was saying, you have a live in assistant, your sex life is none of their business.

:thumbsup:

jane5
03-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Could you put "works with an assistant who also lives on the premises"

At my inspection last Sept the inspector gave me the sheets with last times wording and asked me to correct anything that was incorrect. We had moved recently so it did need rewording, as we were now in a bungalow not a house. Perhaps you could pre-write what you would like and as it that is how it could be worded?

I think this would be a good way to put it.

My friend is gay and they wrote "lives with partner and 6 year old son" but all of her parents knew she was gay and didnt have a problem.

chez
03-02-2012, 06:48 PM
well oddly ofsted called today and they are coming in 10 days time so guess we are about to find out, the inspector sounded lovely and very gentle so hopefully I will survive