PDA

View Full Version : help dont know whether to charge

lucyD
02-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Have a lovely mum with a 1 year old & 3 year old. Wants 2 days a week for both but the 3 year old goes to pre-school 8.45-2.45 so needs me to drop off/pick up. NOW... do I charge her for the full day or just the time I have her for. Thing is she is taking up a space all day as I cant really fill it. Also I am presuming I will have to be free for her all day anyway during the school holidays etc Am I right or would she query this if I said she needed to pay when at pre-school? What do you guys do & do your mums accept this...have to email her prices this evening so would REALLY appreciate your input on this one

mummyMia
02-02-2012, 02:01 PM
You need to think very carefully about how many under 5 places you have available and how much money you need to earn each month to make childminding a viable job. Can you realistically afford to give away an under 5 place and not charge for all those hours? I know most childminders couldn't.

Bananabrain
02-02-2012, 05:55 PM
You need to think very carefully about how many under 5 places you have available and how much money you need to earn each month to make childminding a viable job. Can you realistically afford to give away an under 5 place and not charge for all those hours? I know most childminders couldn't.

What she said!

EmmaReed84
02-02-2012, 06:00 PM
I charge for when mindees are at playschool if I am responsible for their care during that time... If I am taking and collecting, and will be needed during the hols etc.

If a parent says they point blank do not want to pay for the hours a child is at playschool then that is their choice you cannot force them, I will have the child IF I am available but if the opportunity comes to fill that space then I will take it and she will lose it. They can't have it all ways.

If you feel bad charging full for he hours then charge 1/2 as a retainer fee and explain the although they are not "using" the space it is there space and you are holding it open for them so if they need it they can give you notice, use their space and pay full

miffy
02-02-2012, 06:14 PM
I charge whilst the children are at playgroup/preschool as I can't fill their spaces for the time they are there.

Miffy xx

lucyD
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Thank you. I believe that other childminders will charge so intend to. If she challenges me on it I will say she can shop around & if she finds a childminder who WONT charge she may as well go for it. This is after all a space being taken up. Obviously if I do fill it I wont charge her. Think I need to be confident as she seemed happy with me & there aren't many childminders in the area esp ones who will take children as early in the morning as I will. This may sound harsh BUT I am looking after her two most precious things so its her call!!