PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted Outstanding...

dmss001
02-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I would just like to let you all know out there that Ofsted are not as bad as you think. A friend/childminder of mine in Camberley has just got outstanding. She deserves to be outstanding as she is a fabulous childminder. BUT I thought there was no way she would get outstanding due to her paperwork.....

It USED to be alot about paperwork, I know my last Ofsted inspection was about paperwork as she was trying very hard to find missing papers etc...

The way to go about your Ofsted inspection is talk, talk and SELL yourself. Tell the Ofsted inspector about the childs needs, wants, daily routines, where you take the children, what you do with them, where you want to take them in the future. We all believe in ourselves otherwise we would not do this job - all we need to do is prove to the Ofsted inspecters.

Good luck to all those who are due....

Sarah

Penny1959
02-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I would just like to add that from Sept 12 under the revised EYFS the advice given by the OP is going to be even more true.

From my experience in the pilot inspection - paperwork will not be that important - Ofsted will only be sampling doucments such as risk assessments, policies , procedures and even planning.

The child and his / her emotional well being and rate of development progress are all going to be much more important that paperwork.

As an example - just a snippet from the revised EYFS (although not final yet so may change) it says smething on the lines of Providers must have a written procedure to say how they will risk assess. (so if in your head on an on going basis - you put that) It does say that providers have to determin if useful to have RA written to inform staff or parents - but it does not say you have to do them in writing.

Sorry I can't use the actual words - but I have been told not to.

Certainmly with reguard to Ra's the pilot inspector was not at all interested - she just asked how I keep the children safe as part of the discussion on safeguarding.

Penny :)

supermumy
02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
i have to agree a friend of mine is outstanding yet her house or equipment isnt up to scratch and her paperwork is abit miss match yet she can talk about the eyfs standards etc till the cows come home and the osfted officer loved it.>>>

i had my inspection monday and she looked at my setting paperwork etc yet hardly asked me anything and we was in slience most of time with me playing with kids and her on her laptop!
maybe i should of started the talking ?? but surely that down to her to ask
but i got a good with no to dos so im happy :0)

Playmate
02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I have been advocating talk the talk for years.

Pieces of paper do not demonstrate passion. At an inspection I never stop talking about what the children are doing, have done and what I'm going to do within them next :D

Roseolivia
02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
My inspection last week was similar, she looked at all the paperwork especially the LJ as that's where she can see development progressing and even though i did a strength/weakness chart instead of SEF she wasn't bothered. Most of my report mentioned what she saw with the children whilst she was in my setting. I got outstanding too.

sharonmanc
02-02-2012, 02:33 PM
this is good to know :thumbsup:

Penny1959
02-02-2012, 04:24 PM
i have to agree a friend of mine is outstanding yet her house or equipment isnt up to scratch and her paperwork is abit miss match yet she can talk about the eyfs standards etc till the cows come home and the osfted officer loved it.>>>

i had my inspection monday and she looked at my setting paperwork etc yet hardly asked me anything and we was in slience most of time with me playing with kids and her on her laptop!
maybe i should of started the talking ?? but surely that down to her to ask
but i got a good with no to dos so im happy :0)

You will find under the revised EYFS - this sort of inspection is out - instead will be discussion and observation, talking to the children and just sampling documents.

karensmart4
02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
My inspector early last year didn't even stay in the same room as me and the children, she sat at her laptop until her last 15 mins with me, then she watched me for about 2-3 mins, went back to her laptop then fired questions at me. I was very upset and complained but I just got told that she could tell what I was doing as she was very experienced :eek:

My co-minder had her inspection 4 months later and 90% of it was done on observation, we got the same grade but the second inspection was so much nicer and I felt much more focused on the actual welfare of the children rather than what was written in RA's etc.

So I think that all inspectors at the moment work to whichever way suits them and there doesn't seem to be any uniformity :(

erinlouise
02-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I have Ofsted coming out in the next month so all this info is sooo useful...thanks :) Quite nervous but could to get a heads up as to what they are looking for. New to all this, only been childminding since Nov 2011 :jump for joy:

Daftbat
03-02-2012, 08:22 AM
I agree - my mantra is that if you don't actually put things in front of their eyes the inspector will not realise you do it and that includes showing your own good points not just the paperwork. Talk about how you go that extra mile to make sure that each child is cared for individually and that their needs are met. How you research additonal needs, seek out information and work with outisde agencies and parents to maximise a childs developmental needs.

Your inspection is basically a job interview in my opinion and a chance to put yourself on a pedastal - lets face it there are enough people out there willing to knock us off it so be proud and hold your head up high:clapping:

Blades35
05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Reading all your threads is very encouraging, I have my first inspection on WEDS! I'm new to this too, Eek, though I feel quietly confident, as I believe in what I am doing, and all my mindee's are happy, as are their parents, but I got my code for the SEF on Monday, they called me on Tuesday to say they were coming the following Weds, so I haven't had a chance to complete my SEF, I've made a start on it, but it's quite indepth! I mentioned this to her, she sd not to worry as long as I have something to basically describe my setting, so I have completed the first question "Describe your setting" and also, when it gets to the bit where you grade yourself, is it advisable to put Outstanding? I was advised that you should as you should aim high, why not?! but I don't want to seem, erm, vain? over confident? but if you put Good, and they thought you were outstanding in that area, that would look like you are not confident? Conumdrum! What are your thoughts? So, I think I am prepared for the big day, just pray my DD behaves herself, 20 months and starting to be a real cheeky monkey! Gulp!x:eek:

Blades35
15-02-2012, 02:45 PM
well, just to let you know, my first inspection went really well, i got a Good with an outstanding in one area! So i'm chuffed with that!xx:clapping:

buildingblocks
15-02-2012, 03:06 PM
You will find under the revised EYFS - this sort of inspection is out - instead will be discussion and observation, talking to the children and just sampling documents.

I'm stuffed then as I become a gibbering wreck with someone there (hard to believe for those who know me) if I can show it in writing eg my SEF I'm fine

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
15-02-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm stuffed then as I become a gibbering wreck with someone there (hard to believe for those who know me) if I can show it in writing eg my SEF I'm fine

Me too I just cannot talk as I am soooo nervous or I cannot remember the easiest thing when Ofsted are here, my friend got outstanding last year but she can talk the talk.

Penny1959
15-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Don't worry the SEF is staying for those that like to fill it in - if you find talking to the inspector difficult make sure you put as much as you can into your SEF.

And as a suggestion could you try talking to the children instead of the inspector.

So' Come on X lets change your nappy - now lie down on your own special mat (that mummy provided / I brought for you) These are you wipes aren't they - the ones for sensitive skin, and this is your cream mummy likes you to have ...' and so on

AnD ' Lunch time - thats right Y lets strap you into your booster seat - cause you can't reach with out it can you, here is you cup soon we will have to get you new one without a lid. Now lets see X you are having cheese sandwih because you really like cheese, Y would you like ham today - I know you can;t have cheese because it makes you poorly ......' and on and on - getting in all those extra details that the inspector might miss. And the good thing is you can practice for months in advance

rickysmiths
15-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I was inspected in Sept. I hadn't done the Sef and the inspector and her side kick followed me around all the time they were here.

I talked to them all the time and they asked questions. I must say my paperwork was all in order and I do have good resources that are kept in good order.

I got good with Outstandings even without a Sef because I was talking about everything, what next steps were what I had been doing, how I changed things how I used the info learned on the courses I go on etc. I also showed that I know my children inside out and where they are in terms of EYFS.

Ripeberry
15-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm just like you. Did my SEF and did not have much talking to do.

Penny1959
15-02-2012, 06:52 PM
I was inspected in Sept. I hadn't done the Sef and the inspector and her side kick followed me around all the time they were here.

I talked to them all the time and they asked questions. I must say my paperwork was all in order and I do have good resources that are kept in good order.

I got good with Outstandings even without a Sef because I was talking about everything, what next steps were what I had been doing, how I changed things how I used the info learned on the courses I go on etc. I also showed that I know my children inside out and where they are in terms of EYFS.

I agree RS many do get good grades without a SEF by being able to talk about what they are doing and why they are doing it ( I myself being one of those that hates the SEF and has never done one) HOWEVER for some the SEF is a very useful tool and helps them to explain their practice in writting rather than having to talk about it - which is why I am very pleased that Ofsted are retaining SEF as a option in Sept 12 under the revised EYFS - I won't be using it myself but I know lots who will.