PDA

View Full Version : keeping learning journal

claire & steve
01-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Hi all i have had the same mindee now from 4months and is now 3 years old, i have a lj folder for every year mindee has been with us, mum is now asking if she can take learning journals home to keep from previous years... how does this work as i wont have any evidence to show ofsted her development from baby to now, just what we have been learning/doing over the last year

rickysmiths
01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
The LJ belongs to the mindee and should always go with them when they leave so they can be shared with the new carer or kept as a memento.

Ofsted are not interested in the LJs of children who are no longer in your care.

In fact when I was inspected in September I only put out the LJs of the children with me that day and that was all they wanted to see anyway.

Mouse
01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I have given all filled up LJs and daily diaries to parents and only keep the current ones. One mindee is on his 3rd daily diary and the other 2 have been sent home. I have nowhere (and no desire) to keep all their old stuff here. I figure, what's the point of keeping all this paperwork for Ofsted coming for a few hours every few years :rolleyes: If they can't see what I do from current files and from the children themselves, then I'm beyong caring :laughing:

What you could do is a summary sheet from each LJ to put in the next one, That way you would have a record of progress. Or, just ask mum for them back when you have Ofsted coming :thumbsup:

miffy
01-02-2012, 06:16 PM
So far I have kept everything here for all mindees until they either leave or come to the end of the eyfs, then files are given to parents.

But if mum wants the other files then I'd let them go but ask her if she will let you have them back when Ofsted come out, although, if you have other children in the eyfs Ofsted may not even want to see them - my inspector only looked through the files of the children who were there on the day even though I gave her everyones to see.

Miffy xx

sarah707
01-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I usually keep them until the child leaves and then hand them over.

However if mum wants them then I don't really think you can refuse :D

Bluebell
28-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I gave parents the one I had when I started and then regreted because I didn't have any others at all in case Ofsted came but now I have more children and ongoing journals I am a bit more relaxed about it. Although Ofsted still haven't been!! If you want to evidence all of them would the mum mind lending it back to you if you let her know when Ofsted ring to say they're coming?

I used to hand write mine but now I do them on computer and e-mail the page with photos to parent - that way they get kept up to date with everything and I can print a copy off for the learning journal / scrapbook. I also then have it on my computer if I need to reference anything or want to print it out for my own records. I make it personal by copying and pasting pictures of what we've done, divali pictures for example, photos of the children and little images representing the 6 areas of the EYFS. I also then stick art work or certificates in the book too. Again the art work usually goes home with parents or goes on my wall but I leave space in the book for them.

Also if there is a particularly fun thing we did and there is a page in the scrap book that has lots of photos etc I take a picture of that for my records. Probably completely ridiculous but at least I can say this is one I made earlier that I have already shared with the parents!