PDA

View Full Version : 15 kids and counting

JCrakers
01-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Really intesting programme on last night. Looked at the life of 3-4 large families. I have a lot of respect for these families as the parents obviously had no time to themselves at all and family was everything to them. Makes my two children look a breeze.

I was ashamed of myself though and have changed my attitude since watching this. I dont usually judge people before Ive met them but I assumed, like a lot of people do that they were living on benefits. Thinking that they had had lots of children to get money and a house etc. Which is what you read in the papers...(which is why I dont read the newspapers) How do they afford it etc.
But one family in particular were amazing. Dad was the earner and supported all the family, £200 a week on food :eek:

The other family had been supported by Dad until something happened with his job and he was struggling to support all the children so was actually done for benefit fraud and went to prison. But like he said he was desperate and has taken his punishment.
All the kids were lovely but most had lots of problems with other people bullying and saying things about their big family :(

Mouse
01-02-2012, 10:42 AM
I haven't watched it, but have learnt over the years that people are very judgemental when it comes to larger families.

I have 5 children, which doesn't actually seem a lot to me! DH has always worked, as have I (apart from when I've been on maternity leave). We've never claimed benefits and have always supported ourselves.

People tend to assume that

a) we don't work and claim huge amounts in benefits
b) our children are badly behaved
c) we are a bit thick!

When the children were younger we'd often walk into a restaurant and see the look of horror on people's faces when they saw all the children. Our children are all very well behaved and these same people would often come over at the end of the meal to say what a lovely family we were & how they had never seem such well behaved children! They thought they were being nice, but it just showed that they had been thinking the worst & how we'd surprised them so much they had to come over to comment :rolleyes:

And as for being thick, people don't even try to hide their surprise when they learn that we are actually well educated, articulate people who have a lot of children through choice!

LOOPYLISA
01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Me and hubby were adding up all the child benefit they must get with 15 children from one weeks programme :eek::D

Mouse
01-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Me and hubby were adding up all the child benefit they must get with 15 children from one weeks programme :eek::D

I do think there should be cap on the number of children you can claim child benefit for.

kindredspirits
01-02-2012, 12:16 PM
£200 a week in just child benefit!!! :eek: