PDA

View Full Version : Conservatory

Nix
31-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Hello

I'm after some advice and I'm sure my friends on here will be able to help.:)

I'm keen to have more space at home, for the children, and am having quotes done for a conservatory but which type of roof should I have... glass or polycarbonate?

I've heard polycarbonate is cheaper but noisy in the rain. It offers privacy as the roof is white.

Glass means you can see the stars and is better insulated.

Any suggestions and thoughts would be most welcome. I can't make the decision on my own!

Thanks in advance.:)

Winnie
31-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I inherited the conservatory when we moved here & its my playroom, it has a polycarbonate roof & yes its noisy in the rain but only gets 'unbearable' in really heavy downpours.
One thing I will say is if you can afford it then put in underfloor heating :)

sarah707
31-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I have polycarbonate with a special coating to deflect the sun - though when it's hot in there I use a fan.

You will love having some extra space! :D

Nix
31-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I was put off underfloor heating as it's expensive and takes a while to warm up... is that the case? I planned on just having electric heaters wired in!

Can you both use them all the year round? As in not too hot in the summer or like a fridge today!

I will love having the space... we need it:jump for joy:

Joda
31-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Although it cost a lot more, we had the self cleaning glass roof in our conservatory when it was built 2 years ago, and have never regretted it.

karensmart4
31-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I use my conservatory as my playroom, it frees up some of my house and keeps the toys etc in one place.

I have poly roof and I have a radiator in there plus an oil filled heater that I keep on low overnight in the winter.

My playroom leads onto a sheltered decking area with a playhouse and shelving for the toys, this is fenced and has a gate, if it's raining we keep the gate closed, if not we open it and the children move freely from the playroom to the sheltered area, to the garden.... works for us :thumbsup:

Nix
01-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Interesting comments and such a dilemma!

Mine will be an extension to our current playroom and will be space for messy play in the winter months.

My next step is deciding what to do with our covered decking area, it would be good to use it with the conservatory like you do Karensmart4.:D

Thanks for your help.

rickysmiths
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
You are not allowed a radiator in a Conservatory these days, you have to have underfloor heating.

When we were thinking of having a conservatory we were strongly advised to have a proper extension with Velux windows instead. You can have windows all down one side so it is light and airy with French windows. It is much better insulated and you can have a radiator and it actually costs less to heat.

You don't get any of the disadvantages of a Conservatory with a glass roof and heating.

A proper room doesn't cost much, if any more, than a Conservatory.

Nix
01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Ah Rickysmiths I hadn't thought of that but I quite like the idea of it being like an extention of the garden, a bit of a plus if I sell, no planning permission and it doesn't take too long to do...:D

mushpea
01-02-2012, 05:04 PM
we had ours built almost 3yrs ago and last winter we had the radiator put in, it is just as warm in there as it is in the rest of the house and we have the poly roof with the sun deflection thingy. it gets noisey in the rain but only when its a really heavy rain other than that its not too bad, ours is attatched to our living room and I like the idea that at night all the toys go in there and the living room curtains get closed so we dont have to sit and look at toys all night.

Nix
01-02-2012, 05:32 PM
So now I have one company saying glass and the other saying with glass there'll be too much glare for the children and I'll need blinds so go polycarbon... arrgghhhh I don't know what to do!:panic:

My daugher thinks it would be nice with glass to look at the stars... nice though but primarily it's an extension of the playroom and will be full of toys at night and the weekend!!

karensmart4
01-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Unless it's tinted glass (which I guess it would be) I would go with polycarb because of the sun (when/if we get some) :)

rickysmiths
01-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Ah Rickysmiths I hadn't thought of that but I quite like the idea of it being like an extention of the garden, a bit of a plus if I sell, no planning permission and it doesn't take too long to do...:D

Under Permitted development you wouldn't need planning permission for a small extension though it would have to comply with building Regulations. I must confess theses days I wouldn't buy a house with a Conservatory. My SIL has a large one and it is horrible in the summer. A cm friend has one and is always be moaning the fact that it is so hot in the summer and in the winter she doesn't use it because it is too cold.

Demonjill
01-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Under Permitted development you wouldn't need planning permission for a small extension though it would have to comply with building Regulations. I must confess theses days I wouldn't buy a house with a Conservatory. My SIL has a large one and it is horrible in the summer. A cm friend has one and is always be moaning the fact that it is so hot in the summer and in the winter she doesn't use it because it is too cold.

I dont fancy a conservatory for theses very reasons!

i would love a small extension though and would have the french doors and windows just the same but would like proper tiled roof lol

Rickysmiths what size is yours roughly and if you didnt mind giving me an idea of how many pennies :blush: that would be fab cos i am saving up for lots of things and this is one:D:thumbsup:

Trouble
01-02-2012, 11:58 PM
we have polycarbonate sometimes its noisy

also we have a electric oil heater

in the summer we just leave the windows on the first lock all the time to let the heat out and the inside door open all the time

put a thermometer in there just so you can go out if it gets to a certain point:thumbsup:

Nix
05-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I thought I should give you an update as you were kind enough to share your views. Thanks.

The conservatory will have a glass roof.:D

Work is starting in the next couple of weeks. I am sooooo excited.

I should post pics! I came home on Saturday and my decking has been taken down... such a mess.:panic:

mushpea
05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
we have polycarbonate and yes it is noisey in the rain, reminds me of camping as a kid, but its only really noisy in heavy rain otherwise you can hear it but its ok

hullabaloo
05-03-2012, 09:33 PM
we have a conservatory attached to playroom. Love the space it gives us, also the fact that all childminding paraphanalia(spelling)!!Can be closed behind a door !!:)

Have poly roof , only noisy during heavy rain. Leads to singing 'its raining its pouring ' really loudly !!

Glad to hear you've made a decision, hope all goes well and that your pleased with the end result. You may need to go shopping for more resources to fill the space !!!!:laughing:

Von xx

appleblossom
07-03-2012, 12:24 AM
I'd like a conservatory but have always been put off by the problem of cleaning the two windows on the first floor above where the conservatory would be.

There must be others who have had to get around this problem. Any ideas?

Nix
09-04-2012, 05:13 PM
You may need to go shopping for more resources to fill the space !!!!:laughing:

Von xx

I just may!

The building work has commenced and the main structure is up:jump for joy: It's going to be fantastic...