PDA

View Full Version : Flu Jab

rickysmiths
31-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Reading this thread has made me think.

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1045608#post1045608

I have only had true flu twice in my life (and I am 56) and it is truly debilitating. I went to bed and could hardly move for a week, ached from head to foot and wished I could die I felt so poorly.

Before I moved to SW Herts 8 years ago my old GP at his suggestion when I became a CM always gave me a Flu Jab. I was 39 then, no health issues that indicated I needed to have it. He just said you should have it because if you are off sick it has a knock on effect on all the families whose children you care for. Far sited gentleman.

We we registered with a GP here I went along for my flu ab and was swiftly turned away because I wasn't old enough or in an 'at risk' group. But I am a Cm and if I'm off sick etc etc. GP here wasn't interested :rolleyes:

Last year I tried to have one done at Tesco and they had run out of Vaccine. Last autumn I asked the GP again and was told no but I could go to the chemist over the road who gave them. dh and I had them done for £15 each.
It has gone in as an expense because I wouldn't have it done if I was a cm.

Do any of you have a Flu Jab?

Does your GP do it for you?

LOOPYLISA
31-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Im not a cm but yes i have the flu jab by the doctor :thumbsup:

Caught pneumonia through the flu once and now have it every year, ring up every year to book and they automatically say yes don't even ask why :littleangel:

Trouble
31-01-2012, 12:09 PM
asda do them

snufflepuff
31-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I had one in November because I'm pregnant. Very much doubt our GP would give it just because of my job, they wouldn't even let my son have it and he's asthmatic so is meant to have one!

Carol M
31-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Good idea, but if you have to pay for them i don't think you can put it as a business expense.
Carol xx

miffy
31-01-2012, 01:28 PM
For the first time ever this year I've had a flu jab - not sure why the drs surgery offered me one, I don't fall into any of the at risk groups. I did get a reaction to it though so not sure if I'll do it again next year.

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
31-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Oh dear Miffy that's not good. I had a hot lump on my arm for a couple of days but that was all.

Playmate
31-01-2012, 01:58 PM
I had one in October through my GP. I'm afraid as with alot of these things it is a lottery :angry:

I had the swine flu jab 2 years ago when it was rife, because I was caring for a child with a low white cell count. This year I went to docs about something else and nurse asked me do I want my flu jab. I said "I didn't think I was entitled", she said "I don't see why not" Who I'm I to argue :rolleyes: I'm very for fortunate to still have a proper family GP he is on his own in practice with his nurse and knows all his patients and remembers everything. When I walk in the surgery he always asks how all the children are by name, even though he has only met my younest once in 11 years :) He's due to retire soon and I fear this will all change :panic:

FizzWizz
31-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I got one done at boots in November - £12 I think. I did feel a bit rough after it but at least I could still work unlike if I had actually caught the flu. Will def do next year too as you lose so much money even taking a couple of days off sick!

kindredspirits
31-01-2012, 02:11 PM
i was made to have the flu jab every year when i was in boarding school - every year i got the flu for at least a week if not longer. when i stopped having the jab, i stopped getting flu - only had it once since then.
i don't in general like injecting my body with rubbish - they've told me I need the MMR again because I'm not immune to rubella but i'm not keen on having it - i only gave my DS 1 dose of it, not the 2nd and i plan on doing the same with Arla.

Tippy Toes
31-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Ive had the flu jab the last 2 years, I get it done in the GP's and I am only offered it because I have asthma.

Although I must admit the 1st time I had it I was really ill shortly after (flu!) so it did make me wonder if it was worth it :rolleyes:

cara1235
31-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Had mine done on thursday at local day lewis pharmacy because it was on offer at £4!!!!!
My local authority used to fund it for all childminders a few years ago.

breezy
31-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I have it done but was told I was only entitled because I'm my dd's carer! Dh had to pay for his in Sainsburys!

Penny1959
31-01-2012, 04:46 PM
I get mine done at GP's because I am diabetic - I don't get flu - but boy do I get a lot of very bad colds - far more than I hasd before I started getting the flu jab.

Penny :)

CH1957
31-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I got one this autumn from GP because Im over 50, a CM and I got flu last year which progressed into a chest infection. So thought I'd be ok this year after having the flu jab but I ended up with pneumonia and was in hospital for 3 days!!

Donkey
31-01-2012, 10:14 PM
I have the flu jab as I care for a child with low immunity

argued case and point with gp and got it done...

1st time arm was hot, this year, no reaction...

AliceK
31-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I always used to have it at the Dr's as I'm asthmatic but the last 2 years they have combined it with the swine flu vaccination so it's all in one and I refuse to have the SF vaccination so I haven't had it for the past 2 years :(

xxxx