PDA

View Full Version : Is a learning journal an EYFS requirement

toddlers896
30-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I read somewhere that its not a requirement of the EYFS to do a learning journal. Is this the case.

sarah707
30-01-2012, 08:06 PM
It is a requirement of the Eyfs to note a child's progression through the learning and development requirements of the Eyfs.

Most childminders do it in a learning journal booklet or document - some use a photo album with brief notes linking photos to the Eyfs.

An actual learning journal is not what is important - it's the progression of learning that you have to record. You can record it in any way you want.

However it must be clear to an Ofsted inspector what you are showing and how the child is progressing from the first day they started with you.

Hth :D

toddlers896
30-01-2012, 08:11 PM
It is a requirement of the Eyfs to note a child's progression through the learning and development requirements of the Eyfs.

Most childminders do it in a learning journal booklet or document - some use a photo album with brief notes linking photos to the Eyfs.

An actual learning journal is not what is important - it's the progression of learning that you have to record. You can record it in any way you want.

However it must be clear to an Ofsted inspector what you are showing and how the child is progressing from the first day they started with you.

Hth :D

Hi Sarah, Thanks for that. Ive just had a look at my eyfs book and should have refreshed my memory before posting.

hollyoaksmad
30-01-2012, 09:04 PM
I was told by ofsted it is not essential and if you cant do it you dont have to is it a legal requirement?