PDA

View Full Version : smoke alarms

mrsgiraffe
29-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi all just wondering whether this is going to hold me up, been told I need mains smoke alarms fitted in the house as I only have bog standard battery ones. Has anyone any idea whether fire service would fit them or who can sign them up, costs etc . thanks `:o

danasdaycare
29-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi again,

As I did not have mains wired smoke alarm in the bedroom I was using for play and daytime rests/sleeps, I did have to get this. The fire service visit will advise you to get alarm in any bedroom used for cm use but as far as I know, no they will not fit.

I sourced a SELECT registered electrician via netmums for my area (Edinburgh). He quoted, checked position with me before and provided receipt as well as mains alarm with manual for £95. This is claimable as your business expense for first year.

There may be a grant available for childminding start up costs so alarm, safety gate if required, socket covers, hse approved fire blanket and hse approved first aid box. It is with the scottish childminding association if still running. You would need to become a member if not already. Can find them via internet search.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Amyclark32
29-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Hi there, the fire service will not fit them for you. You will need to call an electrician to do it for you. I was £190 for two smoke alarms and a heat detector in the kitchen. The alarms have to be interlinked and have a battery back up. I only needed the 1 in the kitchen due to the layout of my home.

As Dana said you may get a start up grant to cover costs. I received mine from the local council, aberdeenshire childcare partnership not SCMA. It covered the cost of alarms plus £500 for toys and equipment.

Hope that helps and good luck getting registered.
Amy x