PDA

View Full Version : First graded inspection can't get more than satisfactory?

Mrs Dolphin
28-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Hey girls, Well I have my first graded inspection on Thursday :panic: When the inpsector phoned me to set it up she said that I was not to expect more than a satisfactory as I have only been registered for 4 months (working for 3) so I won't have enough evidence to show her for a good :( This is the same inspector who did my pre-reg visit and she said the same then that for a first inspection not to expect more than a satisfactory, this has really upset me as I feel like she has decided before she has even got here :( Well I have been going through all my paperwork today and think I have everything (I hope) I was looking through the welfare requirements in the EYFS and it states the legal requirements and then the statutory guidance and I have gone through and gotted down in the margin how I have met all things required and more. After I started I wondered if this was something I should be doing or no but really felt like I wanted to show her that I can acheive a good, and just because she says I am due an inspection after 3 months doesn't mean I am not a good childminder, after all this grading is going to be with me for 3 years. What do you think?

kirstya
28-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I got goods in all areas when I was inspected after 5/6 months of minding. I don't see why you can't get more than satisfactory if you can show what you are doing, regardless of how long you have been doing it, that is just unfair. If she won't budge I would speak to Ofsted as there is definitely no rules to say this. Good luck hun, hopefully she will change her mind when she comes and sees how well you are doing! xxx

jadavi
28-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I asked my O inspector who registered me this question and she said there's no reason why you cant be awarded an outstanding straight off..... so annoying that its down to different personalities.....

Playmate
28-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I would ring ofsted and tell them you want a different inspector who is not going to pre-judge you, I would be fuming :angry: I got outstanding at my first graded inspection, granted I had previously been registered but still it is possible.

Mouse
28-01-2012, 09:11 PM
In my area there has been one cm who got outstanding on her first inspection. She had only been minding for a couple of months, only had one mindee and only had him for a couple of afternoons a week. She had very little evidence, but what she did have was very good and she could demonstrate her knowledge in other ways.

There are also many cms in this area who had been graded good on their first inspection.

Like someone else has suggested, I would phone Ofsted and tell them what you've been told and I would ask that another inspector is sent.

Penny1959
28-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Agree with Playmate - phone Ofsted and say you want a different inspector - you can get good and outstanding at first graded inspection

Inspectore must not pre judge - and you must complain

Penny :)

Mrs Dolphin
28-01-2012, 09:33 PM
What worries me about complaining before the inspection though is it might put me in a bad light for the other inspectors iygwim. I know they shouldn't pre-judge, but if I phone up and say i'm not happy and want someone else and then that someone else has to fit me in however professional she is meant/tries to be she is probably gonna be a bit narked and worry it will affect me in that way.

Cazz
28-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I had my first inspection 4 months after starting and got good with 3 areas of outstanding.

I had the same inspector as my pre-reg and it really put me at ease because she was really nice (and she was here for less than an hour and half because I'd done such a detailed SEF which she'd been able to read and take notes on the day before).

I can see what you mean about them seeing you in a different light if you ask for another inspector, but at the same time they shouldn't be pre-judging you.

Only you can decide whether to request another inspector or just do your best to prove them wrong!

Good luck - let us know how you get on x

onceinabluemoon
29-01-2012, 07:21 AM
I got outstanding in all areas on my first inspection. I had been minding for 6 months and had 2 children on roll.

I would also call ofsted and ask for another inspector as this one has judged you before she has even walked through the door!

miffy
29-01-2012, 08:53 AM
What worries me about complaining before the inspection though is it might put me in a bad light for the other inspectors iygwim. I know they shouldn't pre-judge, but if I phone up and say i'm not happy and want someone else and then that someone else has to fit me in however professional she is meant/tries to be she is probably gonna be a bit narked and worry it will affect me in that way.

But if you don't do anything you will most likely get a satisfactory grading - if you will be happy with that then fair enough do nothing now.

This inspector has told you twice now that you will be unlikely to get more than satisfactory at your first inspection - I would want someone with a bit more of an open mind about the process.

Miffy xx

boxtree7
29-01-2012, 09:16 AM
I was always under the impression Ofsted only went back 2 or 3 months on your work so really it should not matter if its your 1st inspection or your 5th - I now people who up there game when there inspection is coming up they get everything in order just for an inspection and then go back to not doing the paperwork. I have also heard of childminders using there conservatory just for inspections but not for everyday childminding. I would ask ofsted if it is correct what the inspector is saying if its wrong I would request a different inspector. Best of Luck

AgentTink
29-01-2012, 09:21 AM
When I was inspected in nov I had only been minding for 10 weeks, and had no prior background experience with childcare. I achieved 1 area of outstanding and everything else was good.

It really is up to you if you wish to complain, however I understand what you are saying about not wanting the next inspector to have a negative start when she inspects you.

You have to weigh up how would you feel being satisfactory for the next 3 years? I had heard that when you are new that you could only get satisfactory so I had prepared myself that this was the grade I was going to get, but I made sure my SEF had lots of information and really sold me and my setting. I then made sure that all my paperwork was watertight and that everything I said I did in my SEF was available for the inspector to see.

I went into my inspection expecting satisfactory and had convinced myself that it would be fine and easy to explain to parents in the future that it was because of how new I was and that it actually meant that I had provided everything that was expected of a childminder.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do

christine e
29-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Reading your first post you state that the inspector said not to expect anything more than satisfactory she/he didn't say you can't get a higher grading than that so go ahead and prove him/her that you are more than satisfactory!

Cx

rickysmiths
29-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Hey girls, Well I have my first graded inspection on Thursday :panic: When the inpsector phoned me to set it up she said that I was not to expect more than a satisfactory as I have only been registered for 4 months (working for 3) so I won't have enough evidence to show her for a good :( This is the same inspector who did my pre-reg visit and she said the same then that for a first inspection not to expect more than a satisfactory, this has really upset me as I feel like she has decided before she has even got here :( Well I have been going through all my paperwork today and think I have everything (I hope) I was looking through the welfare requirements in the EYFS and it states the legal requirements and then the statutory guidance and I have gone through and gotted down in the margin how I have met all things required and more. After I started I wondered if this was something I should be doing or no but really felt like I wanted to show her that I can acheive a good, and just because she says I am due an inspection after 3 months doesn't mean I am not a good childminder, after all this grading is going to be with me for 3 years. What do you think?

I would ring the Complaints dept of the company Tribal or Prospects and give the name of the inspector and say you will not be allowing them into your home on the grounds that they have already prejudged your setting by stating that they will probably not give you more than a Satifactory and this is not acceptable.

How can she say you wont have enough paperwork that is absolute nonsense. She will only need to see the LJ of the children in your care on the day she visits, for my inspection in Sept I had 2 of the four children on my books with me and those were the only LJs I had in my locked box for her to access, I removed the other 3. I also removed their contract because it is none of the inspectors business to see them or indeed any of your financial records.
Can they please make arrangements for another inspector to do the inspection and let you know by the end of the day who it will be and whether they will still be coming on Thursday or if a new date will need to be arranged.

If they haven't rung you by 4.30 ring again and ask what they have done, if they have done nothing and make it very clear you will not be letting xxxx into your setting, ask for their email and email your concerns saying that if you do not have a phone call by midday on Tuesday confirming the new arrangements you will have no alternative but to go to Ofsted about the matter.

They have to respond to your complaint.

How can she say you wont have enough paperwork that is absolute nonsense.

She will only need to see the LJ of the children in your care on the day she visits, for my inspection in Sept I had 2 of the four children on my books with me and those were the only LJs I had in my locked box for her to access, I removed the other 3. I also removed their contract because it is none of the inspectors business to see them or indeed any of your financial records.

She will see your Policies and these would be the same whether you have been working 4mth or four years, same with your RAs and your planning for the individual children. Attendance records are kept the same way for 4 mts or 4yrs, same with Accident/Incident records.

If you have a Parent Info folder this would be the same, I have had one for 10yrs and although It has changed over the years it is essentially the same and I am always changing odd bits and have recently added a few photos of my setting because I had a few mums visit and take it home to read and thought it would be nice for the dad to see what my setting looked like. This is called reflective practice!!!

You may find this document from Ofsed useful:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-requirements-for-written-documents-childminders-delivering-early-years-foundatio

This one might also be helpful:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/are-you-ready-for-your-inspection-guide-inspections-of-provision-ofsteds-childcare-and-early-years-r

CH1957
22-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I was told by my DO that there is an inspector doing the rounds in my area that is suggesting that you can only get satisfactory on your 1st inspection, and DO says if she actually says it out loud they will come down on her like a ton of bricks!! So, no they are not allowed to say that.
How did your inspection go??

babs
22-02-2012, 07:15 PM
think id be fuming .. i was inspected on my 4th day of childminding although had be reg for 6 months but had to have operation.. the children started with me onthe monday i was inspected thursday morning and i got a good...

chez
22-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Ive been awarded an Outstanding on the first inspection. Id certainly be asking for a new inspector

betty boop
22-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I got a good for my first after 6 months of minding seams to depend who you get

Sweetpea
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
You may want to complain in writing via email as then you can reread and edit it until you're happy.
You're not blowing your own trumpet, you're asking not to be prejudged.

I got outstanding on my first inspection, I think my written sef really helped and I used Sarah's wonderful book

Stay strong,

Sweetpea

Linda Mc
02-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I had my first graded inspection yesterday, started minding in Sept 2011.

Mrs O was lovely & didn't mind that I hadn't had a chance to complete my SEF, after being here for 2 hours she graded my Good! :clapping:

Like the other ladies have said I'd ask for another inspector, one who hasn't made their mind up before they've even walked through your door!

Good luck :thumbsup:

miffy
02-03-2012, 08:32 PM
What did you decide to do Dibblemeister?

Miffy xx

Mrs Dolphin
05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Well I didn't say anything and had my inspection and got an overall good :) She said she doesn't like to suggest to new mindees that they can get more than a satisfactory as it can be hard to prove you are meeting all the requirements and looking at the other reports in my area most childminders are rated as Satisfactory!! However she was really pleased with everything I had done and how I intereacted with the children. She had to give me a satisfactory for interacting with other organisations as I don't have a child that goes nursery but she said she really didn't want to give me any satisfactories so she gave me an outstanding in working with parents lol. To be honest it all seems a bit of a farce. She was the same inspecter who did my pre-reg visit, so she didn't look around my house at all, she sat at my table typing on her laptop and occasionally asking questions then after 2 hours she left. I have to say I don't hold out much respect for the ofsted grading as the nursery I took my daughter out of because I wasn't happy this same inspecter has just awarded it an outstanding and when I told her the reasons I wasn't happy with that nursery she just said its what you see on the day!!

I am happy with my overall good though and the report reads very nicely.