PDA

View Full Version : Check your Fuel Bills!

rickysmiths
26-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I thought I would post this as I have been quite shocked this morning. We had a combined fuel statement in the post this morning.

I'm pleased to say with the mild winter and careful us our consumption has gone down. However even though our Direct Debit was reduced by a generous £5pm in Nov I noticed that we had a large credit on our account, £107. I did some quick maths and have just been on the phone and reduced my DD by another £44pm so a reduction of £49 since Nov.

That is a 25% cut and £49 left in my Bank account each month instead of Scottish Powers!.

Please check your dd I think the energy companies are dreadful taking so much more than they need to. £5 difference I don't mind but fifty quid!

Pixie dust
26-01-2012, 12:50 PM
We had a large amount credited back to our account last year as we were £125 in credit with british gas.....like you say better in our bank than theirs:thumbsup:

Playmate
26-01-2012, 01:23 PM
This happened to us last year and we really had to fight to get it recredited and have our dd reduced, but we did it :thumbsup:

Sparkles
26-01-2012, 01:28 PM
we checked ours yesterday and even though we are in the winter months and I switched to the online tariff with BG for our gas and electric, we are currently £420 in credit combined for both!!! We were shocked. We have only 1 more month in our contract and then we can switch. I am angry that they never contacted us to reduce our DD's as this money has obviously accumulated over sometime and we have struggled to pay some bills the last few months that we could have used this money for. Rip off Britain at it's best!!! :angry:

SandCastles
26-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for warning - will check mine and let you know.

BuggsieMoo
26-01-2012, 01:37 PM
We got ours this morning and we are £358 in credit for duel fuel to British Gas. We were £312 in credit on our last bill. We pay £150 a month for both - clearly far too much!

Tippy Toes
26-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Gosh that is a lot per month! :eek:

Will be checking mine ASAP.

EmmaReed84
26-01-2012, 01:46 PM
DH rang up EDF because they had INCREASED the DD without even saying anything :eek::eek: The only reason DH noticed was because he check his on-line banking... DH was furious he called them up to ask why and they said..."We anticipated the increase in consumption for winter and increased your bill accordingly" DH was soooo annoyed and rightly so. Then they said "Oh actually your account is £60 in credit anyway!" :eek::eek:

CH1957
26-01-2012, 02:32 PM
This happened to us last year and we really had to fight to get it recredited and have our dd reduced, but we did it :thumbsup:

Me too but they were really difficult about crediting it back so now I just pay when the bills come quarterly.

Trouble
26-01-2012, 02:46 PM
DH rang up EDF because they had INCREASED the DD without even saying anything :eek::eek: The only reason DH noticed was because he check his on-line banking... DH was furious he called them up to ask why and they said..."We anticipated the increase in consumption for winter and increased your bill accordingly" DH was soooo annoyed and rightly so. Then they said "Oh actually your account is £60 in credit anyway!" :eek::eek:

british gas has done this with us:angry:

Trouble
26-01-2012, 02:47 PM
if you are with british gas you can go online and decide what payments you are going to pay and when over the year but you can have 2 months holiday breaks:D

stardust
26-01-2012, 03:07 PM

I had this problem with British gas. I was on mat leave and we were struggling to cover bills and they kept increasing the bills so i canceled the direct debit as I was £800 in credit!
My mum has said that years ago you paid the cost of the energy and the cost of maintenance and that was it because the energy companies were owned by the public not private companies.

This country has gone to pot people are paying more and more for less, Did you know that if energy companies and other big companies paid the full amount of tax instead of making 'deals' they estimate that last years underpayments along would erase our deficit!

The Juggler
26-01-2012, 04:57 PM
last xmas we were £500 in credit but we didn't mind - meant xmas was sorted :D:clapping:

rickysmiths
26-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Gosh British Gas are bad aren't they!

At least we were on £100 in credit I would have gone mad if it was more than that and £800, that's outrageous, I hope they paid you interest for borrowing all that!

I am quite happy with the £153 a month, we live in a now large (we had a big extension built) 4 bed house with a large rooms downstairs, we have nearly doubled the ground floor space and we cook all electric I have a huge American double oven. Overall the bills haven't gone up since the extension which says something for all new windows and modern insulation.