PDA

View Full Version : How much do I charge??? Advise needed

afsha1810
25-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Hi all,

I have just had my 1st enquiry today :clapping:

The enquiry is for 2 siblings , aged 9 and 7, during easter and summer holidays. My hourly charge is £5 per child, as that is the going rate in my area.

Parent works local so travel issues would not be a problem and works 25hours per week.

Should I charge hourly or set a daily rate and should I offer a sibling discount.

She seems really interested and I don't want be too expensive or too cheap. I am totally confused :confused:

Afsha

greenfields
26-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Hi all,

I have just had my 1st enquiry today :clapping:

The enquiry is for 2 siblings , aged 9 and 7, during easter and summer holidays. My hourly charge is £5 per child, as that is the going rate in my area.

Parent works local so travel issues would not be a problem and works 25hours per week.

Should I charge hourly or set a daily rate and should I offer a sibling discount.

She seems really interested and I don't want be too expensive or too cheap. I am totally confused :confused:

Afsha

It's all up to you. If £5 is the going rate then go with that. If you want to do a 'bit of a deal' you could offer a daily rate. Do an internet search and have a look what others in your area charge daily.
As for sibling discount, if you're giving discount with a daily charge maybe you won't want to discount further.
These are just my initial feeling as I'm not registered myself yet!
I suppose it's whatever works for you. :)

EmmaReed84
26-01-2012, 06:37 AM
I wold say BE CAREFUL!

My first parent was for siblings both under 3 50 hours per week including all meals. I worked out what the fee would be for my standard going rate, including my "sibling discount" I fell on the floor!!! I felt sooo bad asking for this much so offered a HUGE discount.

I worked out my bills and then worked out what I could afford to take and offered that. However I did not take in to account how my food bill, gas, electric etc would go up... I am now faced with having to increase her fee. I feel soooo terrible about it but I literally cannot afford to keep going at this rate...

My advice again, think and be careful, remember this is YOUR BUSINESS, not a charity, only offer what you can afford to offer and keep in mind if you have time off it will be less. Dont do yourself out for the sake of a parent... Like I did :o

The Juggler
26-01-2012, 09:26 AM
i agree hon. work out the actual monthly cost then maybe knock a small amount off this monthly. Don't drop your hourly rate or overtime etc will be affected.

Also be careful, if mum works 25 hours per week then your contract will need to allow for her travel time.

A mum once told me she needed 0815-1515 - I was dropping LO off to her at her work (the school). What she forgot to mention was that she worked until 1530 every day :rolleyes::panic: and stoopid me stood around waiting every day after fetching the older kids and NEVER charged her for that extra 15 mins for the first year - then I got tough with her.

So if she works five hours per day she'll need at least six hours with you :thumbsup:

Tippy Toes
26-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Like others have said I would be careful offering a sibling discount, at the end of the day its your business and you don't want to do yourself short.

Its a difficult situation, I can see why your worried but mum must know what your fee is and so should of considered the cost first.

Hope you work things out xx

afsha1810
26-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, it has made it a lot clearer. :thumbsup:

Now all I have to do is sit down and work out the price and let parent know. :)

Afsha x