PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with receipts & invoices?

claire250182
25-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I registered in November and despite my best efforts, I still do not have children. I am just wondering what I do with all my receipts and invoices as I have spent hundreds of pounds. Do I have to put them in now or can I do it in the new tax year. Thanks

Cazz
26-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Hi,

Sorry, I don't know the answer but there's always someone on here that does! As you've not had a reply yet, you could try re-posting on the bookkeeping/accounts/tax section and then you're more likely to get someone who's really knowledgable in these matters replying to you.

I also wanted to say don't get disheartened about no mindees - when I was first registered I had no-one for the first couple of months, then I got my first family, followed by a little boy one day a week (who's still with me 2 and a half years later!), I then plodded along for about a year and for the last year or so I've been really busy and turned work away several times.

Mrs.L.C
26-01-2012, 07:47 AM
I am assume you mean for tax purposes? You will need to file a tax return which you should get sometime between April and July (contact HMRC if you dont by July)

I am sure some will correct me if im wrong but I think -
You will just need to put 0 in income then put in your expenses. It will show you as working at a loss and this is carried over to the following year.
The only thing im not sure is if to file a tax return you do need to have a little income but if you contact HMRC they will let you know

CH1957
26-01-2012, 09:22 AM
I registered in November and despite my best efforts, I still do not have children. I am just wondering what I do with all my receipts and invoices as I have spent hundreds of pounds. Do I have to put them in now or can I do it in the new tax year. Thanks

If you registered as self employed in November 2011 then you will not need to do a tax return until end of January 2013.
As OP said, they will send you a form by about June this year and you can either complete the paper form which will need to sent to HMRC by September or you can do it online so you have longer to complete - by 31 Jan 2013.

HTH

claire250182
26-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Am I suppose to contact HMRC to tell them I am self employed? I haven't done this as I have no children yet. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

CH1957
26-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks everyone. Am I suppose to contact HMRC to tell them I am self employed? I haven't done this as I have no children yet. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Yes, you have to contact HMRC within 3 months of becoming self-employed. I registered last year even though I didnt earn any money til Jan 2012 but I think you can do it once you are earning. Just look on their website, there is a form to complete and register online, they will then send you a letter letting you know what your UTR number is. Dont leave it too late once you are earning as they can fine you!!

picklepick
26-01-2012, 02:23 PM
You don't have to register until you start earning money unless you want to start paying NI contributions. Which of course is a good idea for your pension etc.

You need to register within 3 months of receiving any money as part of your new business.

I'd give them a call, they are really helpful over the phone. No need to be intimidated because they know it's confusing when you first start out.

Good luck with finding some children to mind