PDA

View Full Version : EYFS review - new information / website

sarah707
24-01-2012, 07:00 PM
The section of the Early Years / Foundation Years website for providers is live!

It gives an overview of the current Eyfs and some information - if you read down - about the changes they are making.

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/quality-provision/early-years-foundation-stage-framework/

The 'Characteristics of Learning' are interesting - they will run alongside the 7 areas of learning and development and be used during obs and assessments.

Other pages link to information about working with parents, child development and much more.

What do you all make of it then? :D

zippy
24-01-2012, 10:00 PM
oh joy, just as ive finally got my head round the last lot. Thanks for giving us a heads up though, happy reading ahhhhh

zippy
24-01-2012, 10:03 PM
haha, just read about the childrens centres being piviotal, ours is great and we hae a great partnership, sure i remember reading some childminders were banned from theirs, eat this better get them unbarred sharpish love it

Rubybubbles
24-01-2012, 10:08 PM
was in a network meeting today and got given these details with work!

All the old national stateriges (spelling) stuff is on the library on there (so I have been told):clapping:

not looked yet, but thank you x

The Juggler
24-01-2012, 10:10 PM
i hate the new areas of learning and development - thought the old ones were fine - to split them into two will just make obs harder and to include characteristics of learning will just make it even more complicated - especially for new minders.

keep the old ones I say :angry::angry:

sorry.... rant over:laughing:

zippy
24-01-2012, 10:15 PM
I like the old way too, could of done with tidying up and getting rid of a few bits, but on the whole worked well once we were used to it. I think they'd find things worked better if they left it alone for a bit and just did mild tweeking

zippy
24-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Having now actually read it, I stand corrected, it looks ok, not the radical overhaul I was expecting, was worried about losing psrn, but its all still in there just seems to be more of a language we can all understand, and relate to parents with. Fingers crossed but from I've read looks good. Still think they could have got rid of a few more risk assesments though yawn

moggy
25-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Is this the official government website? No reference to UK Government in the small print etc...? Just wondering where this website came from.

miffy
25-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks Sarah, I'll have a look later.

Miffy xx

BuggsieMoo
25-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Just book marked it for a read later on.
Thanks Sarah
BuggsieMoo
Ps: Im also slowly but surely going through the e-books I brought off you - very good and making some sense of the muddle I got myself into :clapping::clapping:

Penny1959
25-01-2012, 09:12 AM
I shall take a look Sarah - I find it interesting than the term 'characteristics of learningis not mentioned in any of the documents provided by Dfe / Ofsted for the piolt inspections.

Will feedback if I find anything that was reflect in my pilot inspection

Penny :)'

*daisychain*
25-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Thats my evening reading sorted :)
Thank you

Penny1959
25-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Right have had a look and found the reference in the documents I have

It appears that the characteristics of effective learning are ONLY needed in the assessment at END of EYFS - and it will be in the form of a summary to the profile as a short commentary on the child's skills and abilities in relation to the the three key characteristics of learning.

Therefore it is not linked to the seven areas and not required as part of on going assessment.

Also Remember that the 2 year development check is ONLY on the 3 prime areas.

I think it is important that we all ensure that everything is based on fact so that we do not become responsible for misleading or spreading rumour.

So with that in mind - I will stress that my information is based on the piolt documentation - and also stress that NO ONE not even DfE or Ofsted have the final versions of the documents yet - so anything in the press or on website is opinion rather than fact.

Penny :)

angeldelight
25-01-2012, 09:31 AM

It appears that the characteristics of effective learning are ONLY needed in the assessment at END of EYFS - and it will be in the form of a summary to the profile as a short commentary on the child's skills and abilities in relation to the the three key characteristics of learning.

Therefore it is not linked to the seven areas and not required as part of on going assessment.

I think it is important that we all ensure that everything is based on fact so that we do not become responsible for misleading or spreading rumour.

So with that in mind - I will stress that my information is based on the piolt documentation - and also stress that NO ONE not even DfE or Ofsted have the final versions of the documents yet - so anything in the press or on website is opinion rather than fact.

These were my thoughts too Penny, couldn't have put it better myself

Angel xx

sarah707
25-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Hmmm interesting Penny thank you.

I found a document yesterday (can't see it now I've put it somewhere safe :rolleyes:) which suggests that the characteristics of learning are going to be used to run alongside the 7 areas of L & D - not for summative assessment purposes but definitely to be used in formative.

I suppose like all these things we shall have to wait and see :D

Penny1959
25-01-2012, 07:31 PM
You are right Sarah - we will have to wait and see - when the final documents are out.

This is the actual wording from the document I have which is the current 'working draft of the revided EYFS' in other words as up to date as there is at the moment.

'Providers must supplement the profile assessment with a short commentry on each child's skills and abilities in relastion to the three key characteristics of effective learning'

But of course even that might change.