PDA

View Full Version : Why would Ofsted not register?

melco
24-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Hi,

I am really nervous about pre reg visit, I have my ra's done, policies and fire evacuation procedure. I also have safety stuff brought but not in place yet. I also have EYFS info printed off to read and most of the questions in the booklet answered. I was just wondering what reasons ofsted give for not registering you. I really want this but am worried that they will find something and I won't be able to do it.

I was made redundant in July and this is something I have always wanted to do so this is my opportunity to do childminding. I am working as a lunchtime controller at a school but its quite far from my house so spend more time walking there than I do working. I have to give a months notice but also don't know when to hand in notice so I can concentrate more on the childminding as I don't want to hand in notice then Ofsted say no!! Just scared that this is my dream and it won't happen for me! Any advise?:panic:My friend think I am just being stupid and will be fine but there the ones with jobs!!

onceinabluemoon
24-01-2012, 05:38 PM
You're not being stupid I felt exactly the same when I was registering. I thought my house would be too small or the fact I had home schooled kids would be a problem or that we had cats, all sorts of things went through my head!

I think if your premises is suitable, you are suitable and so are other adults in your home suitable you should be fine (unsuitable may be something like having a police record for violence or drugs maybe or having a really unsafe or dirty house etc. Really obvious things).

If you've printed up the standards check out the statutory ones and you will see what you have to be, that should put your mind at rest. :) It's a scary process but we're all here for support.

Ripeberry
24-01-2012, 06:58 PM
It's normal to feel nervous. I did not fill in my booklet and didn't have full RAs done, the kitchen was being renovated and the sun room was leaking, but I was still accepted and since then I've had an Outstanding.
As long as your CRBs don't show up anything nasty and you don't have a cage in the corner of the room or shackles on a wall. You will be OK :):thumbsup:

singingcactus
24-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Okay, I never went through all this new way of registering buuuutttt I am pretty certain you will actually do fine. I think this will be a two way discussion with the great and glorious ofsted, it is not a tick test. You will be asked questions, given chance to respond, if you do not understand something, or you require advice then ask! Get their opinions, show you are open to changing the way you are planning of doing things if your planning is not to ofsteds tastes, but I kinda think you have everything pretty much covered. So breath, relax and sell yourself....in the nicest possible way of course.

Zoomie
24-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Regarding handing in your notice, unless you really don't need the money or hassle, I would keep working until your registration has come through. I am not sure of current timelines but when I registered it took 2-3 months and then you may still have to wait for mindees.

Good luck for your pre-reg. I am sure you will be fine.

Jiorjiina
26-01-2012, 08:38 PM
I think if you've got to the stage where you're organising a pre-reg visit, you're basically going to get registered. The stuff that will really put them off is the stuff that you've already done, like the CRB check.

I do agree about not handing in your notice though. I was registered in October, and I'm still waiting for mindees. :(