PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please....guilty conscience

Petal291
24-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi all, I didn't really know where to post this and as it all boils down to money, I thought i'd post here. I'd like opinions from other childminders please, on what they would do in my position.
I'm allowed to look after one child in EY as I have two EY children of my own. I took on a child last December who attends nursery every morning. I collect the child from nursery and have the child for four hours per day, Monday to Friday term time only until August this year, as the child will be going to school in September. As you can imagine i'm not earning alot of money having this child around £300 per month.
I have had parents come to see me as they want me to look after their baby from April full time which means i'll be earning around £700 per month.
Now this is where I'm having problems, if i agree to take this baby in April, which I want to do as i'll be earning more money, i'll have to give notice on the nursery child.
Would other childminders do this??? Or is it wrong?? My conscience is telling me it's wrong, but my husband and friends are telling me I have to do what is right for my family, i.e. Money!!
I know i'm going to be leaving a mum to have to find other childcare.
I know I can have this nursery child and school children, but my phone isn't ringing off the hook with work. Lot's and lot's of child minders in my area!!
What would you guy's do, take more money and let down another parent, or accept that you took on the child and live with it???
Opinions would be great.
Thank you
Petal

Pipsqueak
24-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Having no conscience or morality about me :rolleyes:;):D - I would ditch the lower paid job and go with the higher paid job - if it was about finances and providing a better quality of life for my family. Hey ho thats business - right or wrong.

I work to earn money to provde a roof over our heads, food on the table, bills paid, clothes on our backs and possibly a treat here and there.... I don't work to please other people and what is best for them

My own family comes first and foremost. Having been in dire straits before and having no intention of heading back that way - my approach to business is pretty clinical now a days. I will try to be accomodating and flexible with clients ONLY if i am in a position to be that way.

wendywu
24-01-2012, 05:05 PM
I would take on the full timer if that was the only choice.

But I would take on the full timer on paper before April and for hours when you don't have the part timer. Then say mum has changed her hours and apply for a variation until August :thumbsup:

francinejayne
24-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Being honest I'm not sure (sorry i know that doesn't help!) - it would depend on how much I needed the money (if I really needed it then I would terminate for lower paid care), but if I could manage then I would prob stay with first family, assuming you get on with them, have no issues re payment, late pick ups etc.

Is there no way you could apply for a variation? I know you can't have it for new business, but if you could say take on the baby for a few hours in the morning, then ask to increase it to cover all day? I have done something similar in the past and it has been approved - twice! you have to word your variation form carefully!

francinejayne
24-01-2012, 05:06 PM

But I would take on the full timer on paper before April and for hours when you don't have the part timer. Then say mum has changed her hours and apply for a variation until August :thumbsup:

great minds think alike - you posted just as I was writing my response and we had the same idea!

Petal291
24-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Thank you Pipsqueak
What you have said has helped me.
I really do need to toughen up at this childminding lark!!! what you have said is exactly what my husband has said to me. I know i'm being soft, like hubby said, parents wouldn't worry about me if they had to give notice.
It is a job and I need to remember that :o) and it's more money, would mean we could have a holiday this year.
If anyone else has opinions would be great to hear them.

Petal291
24-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Thank you all, it has been a great help.
I'm going to look into this variation further.
so i guess i'd sign contract now, stating I have the baby every morning.
then in a few weeks time apply to ofsted for variation on the grounds that the mum is now going to be working full time and wants me to keep the baby. But that i'll be losing the older child in August as she will be starting school.
Thank you all, any further advice on this variation would be great
Petal.

Mouse
24-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Personally I have never given notice to a family just because something better came along. If I agreed to working part time hours, but was really looking for full-time work, I would have told the family from the outset that I may have to consider giving notice if the right enquiry came along.
I could never imagine giving notice to a family who had done nothing wrong.

But then I've always been lucky and managed to fit several part-time contracts around one another.

Pipsqueak
24-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Thank you all, it has been a great help.
I'm going to look into this variation further.
so i guess i'd sign contract now, stating I have the baby every morning.
then in a few weeks time apply to ofsted for variation on the grounds that the mum is now going to be working full time and wants me to keep the baby. But that i'll be losing the older child in August as she will be starting school.
Thank you all, any further advice on this variation would be great
Petal.

the variation sounds good.

but why would you loose the child when they start school - can you not collect/go to that school or wont the parents need you?

Petal291
24-01-2012, 06:04 PM
pipsqueak
The mum will be collecting the child from school, as she finishes work in time, to do this.

sarahjane
24-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I would be looking at the variation angle too, I am going to be doing something similar in the summer when the family that are on maternity leave return to me so I can accommodate the baby and the older brother outside of nursery hours. It's sneaky but I've had variations in the past so know that I would get it anyway if they weren't classed as new business as they'll have been off for a few months.

Saying that, I have one child one morning a week and would drop her if it meant I had someone for more hours. I can't afford to be nice and having had unexpected notice given twice in the last few months I have learnt that parents don't worry about us!

The Juggler
24-01-2012, 06:29 PM

I agree. see if the new mindee can come mornings for a while then mum can 'ask' to go full time. I don't see why ofsted wouldn't then grant a variation for continuity of care. :thumbsup:

rosebud
24-01-2012, 06:53 PM
I agree with the others about trying to get a variation but if this is not possible I would never give notice to a child just for more money. Children need continuity, this job isn't like nursery - the children bond with us and grow to love us, of course we all work for the money but thats not the only consideration.

I am not looking to offend anyone here - just a difference of opinion.

jojobell
24-01-2012, 07:04 PM
if i had to beacuse i couldnt pay my bills ect i would take on the better paid child, however if i could get by i wouldnt. ( beause of continuty for the children ect)....... i have partimers and have had enquires for full timers now that i just cant sqeeze in, i havent given anyone notice and im not gnna beacuse id feel quilty as im not despate........... i think if its somthing you need to do to get buy then dnt feel quilty as after all your bussisness has to wrk for u!! ;)

uf353432
24-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I have to say I wouldn't give notice either just because a better enquiry came along. I would do what I could to see if I could accomodate a variation by doing shorter hours initially and then increasing later down the line - but if that wasn't possible I wouldn't terminate an original contract. I think that in this job we rely on word of mouth advertising. A satisfied customer might only tell 3-4 other like minded parents about how great we are - a dissatisfied customer would tell anyone who would listen and there is a good chance that the people they bad mouth us too would pass that information on as well to people they know. I think the variation route is a good route for you to try and it could mean you can help both parents and give your income a boost for a few months as well. Plus you don't know what will change for the original parent later down the line - the child after a few months is settled in school and she considers doing longer hours at work - then she will be looking for after school care - if you treat her right she will be knocking on your door rather than someone else.

Petal291
24-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Thank you all for your replies and opinions.
I'm going to look into the variation and really appreciate everyone's honesty on how they would deal with this situation.
Petal

flowerpots
24-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Id definately look into the variation hun and if it was me i would be giving notice if the variation didnt work out, MY FAMILY COMES FIRST, end of!

Bear23
25-01-2012, 04:43 PM
There was a time when i would have said, stay loyal to the family you've already got! but i've learnt that parents wouldn't think twice about us ( in some cases). Do all you can to get the variation, shouldn't be a problem if you can get her to start earlier x

Katiekoo
25-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I had to do this recently and it was the right thing for my business and family BUT it was really dreadful and it did not go well. Mostly because I was completely honest about what I was doing and why, as I always try to be. Sometimes though it's better to say less :)
You will feel bad if you're anything like me, but if it's the right thing then you must do it.

cupcake22
26-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I have to give notice to a family shortly. The child was full time but went down to 3 days in january as he at nursery the other 2 days. I know it sounds hard but they didnt think of my finances when they reduced my days so now another full timer has come along i will be giving notice as I cant afford to work for them on a part time basis.

cupcake22

miffy
26-01-2012, 11:09 AM
pipsqueak
The mum will be collecting the child from school, as she finishes work in time, to do this.

Would she need you in the holidays though?

I definitely think trying for a variation would be a good way round the problem for everyone.

Miffy xx