PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone remember what I was doing today?

Penny1959
24-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Just wondering - and wondering if anyone would be interested in finding out how it went?

Penny :)

mama2three
24-01-2012, 04:31 PM
ooh ooh pick me pick me. Im jumping out of my chair with my hand in the air!

Bet you were brilliant and thoroughly wowed them. Slightly worried that they will base the gradings around your practice! No hope for me then!

Penny1959
24-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Well done Mama2three - you have clearly remembered. Lets see who else remembers - then I will let you all know how it went

mama2three
24-01-2012, 04:38 PM
can i have a stifficate then please?:D

rickysmiths
24-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Now if its what I think it was I thought that was on Thursday? Maybe I got it wrong. How did it go Penny?

Toothfairy
24-01-2012, 04:52 PM
You were being inspected using the new (un-finished) guidelines, if I remember rightly :idea:

Carol M
24-01-2012, 05:04 PM
You gotta tell me all about it or I will continue driving to Scotland tonight till you do!
Glad it went well :)
Carol xx

Pipsqueak
24-01-2012, 05:06 PM
:D
Now if its what I think it was I thought that was on Thursday? Maybe I got it wrong. How did it go Penny?

I thought it was Thursday too???

:doh::doh: sorry Penny

so .. do tell them.. hows it gone????? any more info??? spill the beans and peas and coffee and gravy and so on....:D

Penny1959
24-01-2012, 05:07 PM
can i have a stifficate then please?:D

Well you could Mama2 three - but you will have to provide evidence that have used the learning outcomes to improve your practice :D

Penny1959
24-01-2012, 05:08 PM
You gotta tell me all about it or I will continue driving to Scotland tonight till you do!
Glad it went well :)
Carol xx

Oh yes please keep on driving until we get to Scotland - then I will tell you :D

desiderata
24-01-2012, 05:39 PM
How come we all thought it was later this week cos I did too. Hope it went well cant believe you were brave enough to do it. Hope you have lots of answers for us . You deserve a treat tonight. :clapping:

sarah707
24-01-2012, 05:42 PM
I was just coming on now they have all gone home to find out how you went on Penny.

I bet you were fab! :D

miffy
24-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I thought it was later in the week too - did they turn up early to surprise you? :eek::panic:

I'm sitting comfortably Penny so you can begin.........................................

Miffy xx

loocyloo
24-01-2012, 05:45 PM
i'm here, ready & waiting!

had to wait till everyone gone home or out !

.... hope it was ok! x

Mouse
24-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I've obviously missed something :huh:

But it sounds exciting, so I'll hang around to be enlightened :thumbsup:

Penny1959
24-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Well done to those who remembered - yes - it was the pilot inspection - both for the revised EYFS and the ofsted inspection framework.

Those of you who are on the ball will know that the inspector chnged the day from Thursday to Tuesday.

Those even more on the ball will know I receive lots of confidential documents (that I am not allowed to share)

And those who spend far too much time on the forum (like me :blush:) will know that I spent the weeken in pain and in Primary care - so preparation just did not happen.

Not got much time to give detailed feedback at moment (as Carol M picking me up to take me to Healthy Lifestyles workshop)

So I will write some feedback later or tomorrow.

But for now - I did not let myself down :D

And the inspection was very different to the one I had in 2010 - in a positive way.

PixiePetal
24-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I thought it was Thurs too :o

well - how did it go?? even though you can't tell all ;)

Carol M
24-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Plan B
Yes, lets keep driving and escape it all.
p.s I haven't had such an outstanding day as Penny :D
Carol xx

miffy
24-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm glad it went well, look forward to reading your feedback

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
24-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Well done to those who remembered - yes - it was the pilot inspection - both for the revised EYFS and the ofsted inspection framework.

Those of you who are on the ball will know that the inspector chnged the day from Thursday to Tuesday.

Those even more on the ball will know I receive lots of confidential documents (that I am not allowed to share)

And those who spend far too much time on the forum (like me :blush:) will know that I spent the weeken in pain and in Primary care - so preparation just did not happen.

Not got much time to give detailed feedback at moment (as Carol M picking me up to take me to Healthy Lifestyles workshop)

So I will write some feedback later or tomorrow.

But for now - I did not let myself down :D

And the inspection was very different to the one I had in 2010 - in a positive way.

crossed our posts!

well done, looking forward to hearing more if you can tell us!

Carol M
24-01-2012, 05:57 PM
(as Carol M picking me up to take me to Healthy Lifestyles workshop)

Us, healthy? thats a laugh!!
Carol xx

Penny1959
24-01-2012, 06:16 PM
(as Carol M picking me up to take me to Healthy Lifestyles workshop)

Us, healthy? thats a laugh!!
Carol xx

Not us silly - the children - the inspector read all the lovely comments from parents about fruit, veg and healthy food that I provide - she saw me give them a snack of water ,strawberries and pear - AND THEN because silly billy here forgot to eat breakfast :panic: she saw me eat a chunky kit kat in front of the children.

And she still thought I was brilliant (and no I diod not give her a chunky kit kat to bribe her

Pipsqueak
24-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Plan B
Yes, lets keep driving and escape it all.
p.s I haven't had such an outstanding day as Penny :D
Carol xx

ooooh a covert clue!!! lol:clapping:

Twinkles
24-01-2012, 07:09 PM
ummmm..... is it today that the cross dressing firemen were coming round to perform a private show ? Or is that next week ?

SYLVIA
24-01-2012, 07:13 PM
I remembered it was this week but missed the change of day somehow. Sounds as if it was a positive experience. Here's hoping you have good news for the rest of us

Bluebell
24-01-2012, 09:46 PM
I've come straight in from work (my other job) and come to find out how you got on. Glad she thought you were brilliant! Are you sworn to secrets on the specifics? Still sounds like it went well and everything is sounding like all the changes are going to be really positive!

Cammie Doodle
24-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Hey dont you drive to Scotland without me :panic:
I will wait with baited breath for your report. :D

charleyfarley
24-01-2012, 10:02 PM
ummmm..... is it today that the cross dressing firemen were coming round to perform a private show ? Or is that next week ?

No that's Thursday silly :laughing::laughing:

Well done Penny :clapping::clapping:

Carol xx

The Juggler
24-01-2012, 10:15 PM
WE all knew what ofsted would say before they came ;)

zippy
24-01-2012, 10:19 PM
please just tell me one thing, did the inspector take their head out of the laptop for at least 5 mins, my first inspection was lovely back in 2005 we were all in the garden for most of it, 2nd went fine, but she was permently attached to thi slaptop, did my head in.

samb
24-01-2012, 10:39 PM
OOOO exciting I am waiting with baited breath!

Penny1959
24-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Ok so here is the feedback - at least the stuff that I am allowed to tell you (and I did check with inspector as do not fancy being shoot before dawn for breaking the official secrets act)

First a little bit about the documents provided - there is an inspectors guidance on carrying out the inspections it is Very detailed and very clear about what the inspector should and should not do - as a taster here are two of the points

CHECK the description of the setting section and UPDATE it ready to share and agree with the provider (mine was emailed to me - I made a factual changed, we agrreed on it)

Inspectors DO NOT need to check all the policies, prodcedures and documentation held by the setting but should sample them to:

gian an understanding of whether the provider is meeting legal requirements
ensures documentation supports observed practice (note observed practice)

So back to the inspection

Inspector comes in - asks to be introduced to the children - chats to the children and puts thenm at ease

I show where my folders are and asks if she needs to be 'plugged in' - oh no she says - we are moving away from that - (yippee - inspectors who can move around)

Sorry you are going to have to wait for rest - need to sleep!

Penny1959
25-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Ok to continue

The inspector has out her notes / guidance/ paper for writing on the children show the inspector the photo's that we 'happened' to be be printing as she arived 2 way questions between children and inspector - a few words added by me to explain what the children were saying.

Free play follows (playing in pop up house / threading / playing with cars/

I explain to inspector that paperwork not up to date - due to lack of tme (and believe me the LJ's - both last years paper version and this years powerpoint ones were (are) very behind)

I told her I graded myself inadequate on the paperwork side of things

Some disagreements breaking out between the 4 children - I follow my procedures and luckily the children listened and took notice

Snack time next the inspector sits at table with me an children ( some question to me about preparing the children for school - I told the inspector that I do not have professional links with the schools - as I don't know which school. they will go to in 2 years +)

The inspector asked if I had any previous
experience of working with school - yes I have (Good news - this counts as it will have built up my knowledge ahd understanding on such things)

Then into lounge for dancing (children's idea) singing (my idea) story (selected by children) children got fed up half way through story - I let them go off and did not finish story.

Next duplo play - more questions for me - on keeping children safe / safeguarding - I did not always understand what the inspector was asking as she - but she re phrased

Then into all in suits and wellies for outdoor play - inspectors pops head outside then sits in lounge to see what evidence i have in LJ's / planning etc

Then a round of nappies

Then lunch time - again inspector sits with us asks more quesions both to me and children.

Children then all go down for nap and within 5 mins all 4 asleep.

Back later for info on judgements and feedback from inspector

Penny1959
25-01-2012, 07:54 AM
And so - on to the most important bit - the judgements - and what the inspector was looking for

These are theTHREE KEY judgements used for the pilot - they might change - but will be similar

Outcomes for children in the Early Years Foundation Stage

The quality and standards of the early years provisionincluding :-
- the role of the practitioner in supporting children's learning and development
- the effectiveness of care practices in helping children feel emotionally secure and develop independance

The leadership and management of the early years provision.

From my experience - the inspector very much focussed on these aspects

During feedback she referred to her PAGES of evidence and observation and mentioned over and over again THE CHILDREN and STAGE AND AGE APPROPRIATE. I found this very reassuring having 2 year olds in my care.

She had picked up on all the little things I do (without thinking) to support the children's learning and independance.

She had picked up on how emotionally secure the children are their social skill s and their language skills (all the things in the 3 Prime Areas that in the revised EYFS children of 2 need to be developing in and becoming secure in)

The inspector had (and I have copy off) extensive guidance notes on making the judgements - the requirements for outstanding are many and in depth looking for things like -' children ............. are making rapid and sustained progress' - to evidence this you do need starting points and development recorded - but not always to the ELG and from my experience you do not need to check priogress that often with under 3's - I had initial - extensive photographic evidence / notes - 2 year development check - and for the revised EYFS this is spot on (according to inspector)

The inspector very much focussed on her observatyions of the children to back up my summary of their development - in other words such could see the result of everything we do.

The inspector said Ofsted are looking for high quality HOME BASED childcare - they are not going to view the following very highly

Childminders who take the children out to toddlers groups (and similiar) all the time - think she means that more time should be spent in the setting or on outings with the childminders - rather than going to lots of toddler groups - of course once or twice a week is fine and good for social development.

Childminders who do not implement knowledge and understanding from courses attended - you have to evidence the impact on the children and also how developed own practice and procedures. In otherwords having a certificate is not enough.

Childminders who have no evidence of developing own documents (ie policies etc) for their own setting - in other words just downloading or copying someone elses is not good enough - they must reflect the needs of the setting.

Don't shoot me - I am only passing on what I was told

Other things that were important - outdoor play/ helping children manage own risk / independance skills / social skills including communication/ and the skills the practitioner has - and uses.

Ofsted are going to be less bother about breaches of legal requirements - and if there is one and it can be resolved straight away they will not 'mark down' for it - so things like a signature missing - or a policy review date passed. However they will be somethings that you must do / have in place nomatter what.

The inspector told me the the recent stories about the satisfactory grade are based on truth - yes they are looking up changing for all settings - the new man at the top thinks that in the future Good should be the required min standard and that those with satisfactory will be either new and still gathering evidence / experiences (so ok to be satisfactory in first inspection)
or will be someone who does not reflect on practice and make changes - (so everyone will be require tomake improvements with the aim of achieving good at next inspection.

Well it is mindees breakfast time - will be back later for the final bits of my feedback

miffy
25-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback Penny.

Looking forward to the next installment

Miffy xx

wendywu
25-01-2012, 08:05 AM
I cant see how 1.5 hours out of a 10 hour day at a toddler group can harm a child.

I have two training sessions on the new EYFS soon so i will have to question this.:D

Penny1959
25-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I cant see how 1.5 hours out of a 10 hour day at a toddler group can harm a child.

I have two training sessions on the new EYFS soon so i will have to question this.:D

In this case Wendywu - you would be spending more time in the setting or on outings such as to park/ shops etc - than at toddler groups.

The inspector was refering to those who go on school run - straight to toddlers then sleep time strainght to school run - or worse lunch in toddlers hall then onto another toddlers - and doing this 4 or 5 days a week. I do know childminders where the children never actually play at the childminders setting

1.5 hrs at a toddlers is not excessive and so you would not have a problem :D

From my own practice Igo to a soft play session on a Thursday - the children get in the car at 9:10 it is a half hour drive we are at soft play for 2 hrs then half hour drive back - so my children are not in the setting for 3 hours on a Thursday - and that is fine - if I did the same thing every day it would not be fine.

Also have to remember that not all groups are just toddler groups - they are music groups library sessions and so on.

It is the run around / ride on trikes / free play type groups that are causing concern - if go to too often.

Hope that gives some reassurance

jumpinjen
04-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write all that Penny - I think it sounds really positive and very sensible approach to inspecting - I don't think I have anything to worry about - especially on the group thing - i alternate between two groups both on a tuesday morning that meet different needs and otherwise we are at home or on other outings, occasionally at other minder's houses - I can't get anything done if we are always out LOL, apart from the summer hols, we do a lot of outings then!

Thanks, Jen x