PDA

View Full Version : Help with scrap books..learning journals?!

Jelly Baby
24-01-2012, 11:12 AM
This is where i will fail miserably on my next inspection (April) and panicking some what!

I do the children i care for:

Daily diary
Observation sheets
Planned observations
passports

However I usually photograph all their work and keep as an observation and work from that as what to do next but reading on here i am thinking i should keep all the work and keep in their scrapbooks? I dont and give it back at the end of the day.

Should i ask for the work back from parents to put in the book or photo and give back? Stuck on this bit tbh

Thanks

sarah707
24-01-2012, 11:37 AM
I only keep one piece of work a month if it shows something about their learning and development.

Otherwise things go home or are photographed and split up (models etc).

If you want to change things, use it as self reflection and note it in your SEF that from now you are going to try something new.

However a lot of children get upset if they can't take things home so you are not meeting their needs by insisting.

Oh and have more confidence in yourself! We all do things differently xx

wellybelly
24-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Hello Jelly Baby.

I wouldn't worry about getting the work back. Perhaps from now on save some of the work the children do and send some home. You can use this as a reflection point that you realised you needed to keep some back as eveidence of the child's learning.

I keep my learning journeys in files where I can hole punch everything.

I have a section for Observtaions, assessment and planning.

From the observations, I link them to the "development matters" section of the EYFS (what the child can do), this is located in my assessment part of the learning journey.

Then using the "planning and resourcing" section from the EYFS as a reference guide, I plan something else to extend the childs learning further.
This is logged i9n the planning section.

Not sure if it helps xxxx

JulieA
24-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I keep a sample of pictures and paintings and the rest go home. However, I have now started to photograph their work and stick it into their LJ (I have a separate section marked Creative Achievements - and stick it in there with a date.)

This way you have evidence of what they have done and mum has the joy of the original too!

chez
24-01-2012, 05:21 PM
We photograph or photocopy their pictures etc, the children even photocopy their own bits now and ask for them to go in their special book

miffy
24-01-2012, 05:48 PM
I try and keep some of their art work but it is difficult as some children want to take everything home so then I photograph it so there's a record for their lj.

Miffy xx

zippy
24-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I send all work home, except what mindee has said they have specifically made for me, i generally photograph most work in progress and end result and have never had a problem with ofsted, ive got a good grading, not sure if you need it for outstanding grading but doubt it.

JulieA
25-01-2012, 09:07 AM
We photograph or photocopy their pictures etc, the children even photocopy their own bits now and ask for them to go in their special book

Ooooh, photocoping - now there's a thought! Just not the gluey, glittery things if I want to stay married!!!! Hubby is a little possessive over his gadgets!