PDA

View Full Version : Notice to a Parent - Your thoughts...

annaross
24-01-2012, 08:26 AM
I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment!

I have been minding from friends little boy which I thought was going to be a permanent thing. I have been messed about so much with fees and hours etc, one day she is giving up work, the next day she isn't so as you can imagine I have found it very frustrating.

My friend told me nearly a month ago that 2 out of the 3 days that I look after her little boy that she no longer needed me as she is giving up her job due to financial reasons. I have a week left of the notice period to work and will be relieved that our friendship won't be under so much strain.

I have been asked however to continue to look after her little boy one day a week from 9-1. I have had several enquiries of parents looking for a full time place for a child. This would make me more money (obviously) but I am unable to offer a full time place as I have my friends little boy.

I only have one EY's place to offer as I have 2 children of my own under 5 so this one place is the one that is going to earn me a little bit of money.

There is a potential family that I would like to offer a full time place to but am fretting and worrying about what to do. I know I am within my right to give notice to my friend but I feel bad about it. I can't run my business at a loss and just feeling that I am doing a favour for a friend.

I have tried to make her understand how Childminders work and how we are actually running a business - not a babysitting service but no matter how I word it to her it just seems to go in one ear and out of the other.

Do you mind me asking what you would do if you was in this situation?

Thanks,
Anna

EmmaReed84
24-01-2012, 08:52 AM
If she was a good friend I would explain it to her, as you have to us.

She dropped your days because of finances so she should understand your situation.

Explain that you would love to have her child but you cannot afford it. If she doesnt understand it as a "Business" explain it as a job. If that makes sense

rickysmiths
24-01-2012, 08:53 AM
I think I would give notice and take on the full timer. Maybe point her in the direction of another minder you know who has a vacancy.

or I would go for a Variation for the few hours on the day you would need 4 under 5s.

wendywu
24-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Just tell her that her few pounds a week stop you from earning a proper living wage. So no contest really. Just as she cannot afford to work you cannot afford not to.

Take on the full timer, or as Rickysmiths says ask Ofsted to be allowed to have both children. :D

annaross
24-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone, I am going to tell her this afternoon when she comes to pick up her little boy. Her life/choices/circumstances are nothing to do with me so I know that I shouldn't feel guilty about the decision to give her notice. Just hope it doesn't affect our friendship!

Lesson learnt - don't mix business with friendship!

x