PDA

View Full Version : Important Information regarding Tumble Driers

desiderata
21-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Please check all your tumble driers as mine caught fire about 1 hr ago. This was found to be due to a build of of the lint inside the workings of the drier.

I clean all the filters that you can get to but this was actually inside the workings of the machine. I have just had 4 fire engines here to sort it out and they stripped the machine and showed me what had caused it. There is no way of getting at it without taking cases off. please take care xx

SYLVIA
21-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Oh poor you, hope you're ok. Was it an old machine? I assume the lint must build up over time. Thankfully I've just replaced mine

betty boop
21-01-2012, 06:12 PM
oh my good god hope everyones ok. Ive got mine going now thats really scared me, I leave mine on when I go out but not any more though.

BuggsieMoo
21-01-2012, 06:14 PM
I hope you are all ok - I know theres no good time to have a fire - but thankfully at least mindees werent about who would not doubt be scared and fascinated at the same time x

onceinabluemoon
21-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Hope you are all ok and there was no damage to surrounding areas etc.

Thanks for the info, I'll check mine

rickysmiths
21-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Gosh I hope you are alright. Thanks for the warning. I have never had a drier.

I know when I had my home safety check they advised never to go out and leave driers or washing machines on because of the danger.

mushpea
21-01-2012, 07:05 PM
oh dear,,hope you are all ok and not too much damage,, thanks for the warning

clorogue
21-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Oh my goodness poor you - sincerely hope you, your family are ok and there is not too much damage, I recently had my tumble drier fixed and the engineer showed me where lint can build up and cause a fire, fortunately there was none in mine but he has seen in others.

Thank goodness you were in. I never leave my tumble drier, washing machine or dishwasher on when i am out for that very reason. The engineer said something about that if you were not in and there was a fire, there is something in the insurance clause about payouts.

Soon hope you get back to normal soon.

sarah707
21-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I am pleased to hear you are all ok! xx

hello kitty
21-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Oh poor you.

I had a close call too.

I pulled out my dishwasher today to clean and found that the plug had melted into the back casing of the dishwasher which was pushed right back against the wall! Fortunately no permanent damage was done but who knows if it had been left unattended what may have happened!! :eek:

nic t
21-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Blimey! Hope you are all ok, must have been so scary.

Made me think twice about leaving mine on when I go out. My tumble dryer gets alot of usage. :blush:

*daisychain*
21-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the warning, I shalll not be leaving mine on when i go out or at night (which I do a lot )
Glad you are safe x

cherry
21-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Oh dear that must have been so scarey for you.

With all these reports of tumble drier fires I had my partner put a smoke alarm above ours today.

Demonjill
21-01-2012, 10:23 PM
OMG glad you are all ok but very very scary

I only use my drier maybe once a week if that but will be more careful :thumbsup:

RachelE
21-01-2012, 10:55 PM
OMGoodness!

Good job that you were in at the time!

very very luck that it didnt get any worse.

Luckily we dont have one.

Glad you are all ok.

Rachel x

Chimps Childminding
22-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Glad you are ok!!! My tumble drier stopped working once and as it was quite old dh thought he would have a look at it before calling someone out!! He took the top off and like yours the inside looked like someone had insulated it it was full of fluff :eek: I emply my filter everytime I use it, but like you say you can't get into the insides without taking the lid off!!!

jadavi
22-01-2012, 09:35 AM
We time ours to do a cheap cycle in the wee hours.
This worries me now.:(

FussyElmo
22-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Oh my goodness poor you - sincerely hope you, your family are ok and there is not too much damage, I recently had my tumble drier fixed and the engineer showed me where lint can build up and cause a fire, fortunately there was none in mine but he has seen in others.

Thank goodness you were in. I never leave my tumble drier, washing machine or dishwasher on when i am out for that very reason. The engineer said something about that if you were not in and there was a fire, there is something in the insurance clause about payouts.
Soon hope you get back to normal soon.

Sorry this isnt true speaking from personal experience insurance companies do and will pay out. It may take them forever to do :rolleyes:

To the op I hope its not caused much damage :thumbsup:

mrsmaggy
22-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I have just took the back off mine and hoovered it all out there was massive clumps of fluff stuck around the fan - no wonder it smelt of burning sometimes :panic::eek:

desiderata
22-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Glad your all listening. Yeah thanks we are fine house stinks but that can be sorted.

The Juggler
22-01-2012, 10:57 AM
so glad you were in hon. Fussy had the same thing a while back and had to move out of her house for months and months :panic::panic:

samb
22-01-2012, 11:00 AM
How awful for you! I am also put it on and do the school run person :o Won't be any more!