PDA

View Full Version : Nursery charges

It's a small world
21-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Hi

I know there are several posts on this but just want to clarify some things:

Q Child going nursery in the morning (not sure if Im taking them but will def have in the afternoon and afterschool sibling.)

A Charge if I am emergency contact whether or not I take them - so full days fees.

If not responsible till the afternoon just these hours charged for.

Q Child goes to nursery afternoon. If I am emergency contact - full days fees.?

AIf not emergency carer just charge mornings I have mindee and afterschool hours?

N.B: Will have child all day in school holidays. :rolleyes:CONFUSED:rolleyes:

Do you offer sibling discounts and could I be cheeky and ask what .? I charge £4 ph . Sibling would just be after shcool and during holidays..

What to help parent but also want to earn a living...:blush:

My head is spinning so many things to arrange and sort this weekend :panic::panic: Trying to get my head around new mindees, rising 5;s and change in contracts...too much for my brain... few more hours and time for a large vodka and DIET coke :laughing::laughing:

snufflepuff
21-01-2012, 05:33 PM
I had a mindee who went to nursery in the morning and I had to collect her and have her for the afternoon (Mum dropped off) I charged half fees while she was in nursery because she needed the space all day during the holidays.
I did it as a set fee though- rather than half fees in the morning and full fees in the afternoon. Cost the same but just worded it differently, so that if someone ever wanted the morning only term time only I could let them have it (doubtful but you never know!)

hullabaloo
21-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi, First time posting on here so i hope it do it right !:laughing:

I have been minding snce 1997 and have always charged half fee if a child attends nursery/playgroup during our contracted hours. I have a little girl at the moment who is dropped off here in morning, i take her to nursery , mum brings her back to me and she is with me for afternoon. Full fee is charged for the hour in the morning, half for the hours at nursery and then full fee for the afternoon hours. I have never had a parent question this , as i explain that they are taking a full time place which i can not fill. Hope this helps.:laughing:

Von x

poppy1
21-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I charge full fee if i take and collect.
if only collection or take for an afternoon session i charge for attended hours.
but would only offer the same hours in the holiday unless the full place was paid for. :)

karen m
21-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I have this lo gets dropped to me for 1 hour then i take to pre-school ,no fee paid while lo in pre-school mum does not agree i should be paid for sitting at home,i collect lo have him till 5.45.Last holidays mum told me on dropping off lo was not back at school till next day "but am paying you now "so surely you can't have a problem, well last week sent a letter to all parents so that it did not look like i was picking on 1 parent stating for school holidays if place is needed costs must be paid when booking place as i only have limited places,was told yes but you will have place for lo,no i won't even if i have horrible as i may seem,i don't charge for my holidays but charge for lo ,if differant to mine never been a problem this 1 parent says she wants same as me so she does not have to pay ,not happy when i said not having holiday this year as i had took 6 months of last year

It's a small world
21-01-2012, 07:55 PM
As parent is going to be paying for 2 children do you think I could be fair in saying:

Full fees whilst child with me. Half fees when at nursery this covers as I cannot / will be difficult to fill this space (only 3 hours at nursery) and then obviously full fees during holidays as well.

Or no fees whilst at nursery but will not be emergency contact :huh:

Then for sibling full fees after school and during holidays. Otherwise I know it will be alot for parent if I charge full fees especially if 5 days a week . It will be like £160 per week plus £30 for after school child.

If I do half fees whilst at nursery and full fees rest of hours so £130 nursery child and £30 afterschool?

Bearing in mind this parent will be paying £320 per week during holidays :eek::eek: if thats right 2 x8 hrs per day £4 per hour 5 days a week ..

Think I may do sibling discount that's alot of money..:eek: Oh not sure what to do just seems like alot of money and such a nice lady :panic:

Hate this bit ..I know thats good money but I will have extra paperwork etc :rolleyes::huh::huh:

green puppy
21-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I charge normal fees when child is at nursery as I have lo's for an hour before and then pick up after. Nursery is 9-11.30 but I have to leave just after 11 to get there, plus nursery session is funded so parents are not paying 2 sets of fees. I can not fill the 2 hours the child is at nursery and this equates to 10 hours a week! Also the space is then secure for the child when nursery is closed and in holidays. Would parent be happy having lo for "nursery time" in these incidences if you managed to fill the slot with another child as parent didn't want to pay for the place? It is your business and your choice but do not feel guilty about how much parent will be paying. You are providing space for 2 children and catering for those children's needs. Parents will be aware of increased charges for holidays so should be budgeting for this.

It's a small world
21-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I charge normal fees when child is at nursery as I have lo's for an hour before and then pick up after. Nursery is 9-11.30 but I have to leave just after 11 to get there, plus nursery session is funded so parents are not paying 2 sets of fees. I can not fill the 2 hours the child is at nursery and this equates to 10 hours a week! Also the space is then secure for the child when nursery is closed and in holidays. Would parent be happy having lo for "nursery time" in these incidences if you managed to fill the slot with another child as parent didn't want to pay for the place? It is your business and your choice but do not feel guilty about how much parent will be paying. You are providing space for 2 children and catering for those children's needs. Parents will be aware of increased charges for holidays so should be budgeting for this.

Guess your right. I do feel guilty as seems alot of money but then again parent approached me and I know they are with another cm at the moment but cm cannot accommodate from Sept so approached me as I wasn't sure I was carrying on but really please when I said I was. Plus they may be getting help with childcare costs. Ok. If Im not responsible for child at nursery IE: Just collecting then will only charge for afternoon session. But if child in afternoon session at nursery and I have in the day I will charge for full day. May do a daily rate this could knock a little off days fees. She can only say its too much to pay and we can discuss again and come to some agreement.. What you and every says makes sense xx thanks again..

green puppy
21-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Just be confident when discussing fees and have them typed up in a fees policy so it is all clear. It's your business and you do not need to negotiate your charges.:) I have a child who is full time but attends nursery as I said in my other post. Younger sibling has now started with me and their full time fees are £320 a week all year round (minus my 4 weeks hols) so it's perfectly normal. All of my parents can get childcare vouchers through their work which actually gives them a tax saving every year, both parents can get these if their workplace offers them. We on the other hand do not get any funding to run our businesses. When lo's are at nursery, before I had the baby siblings, I used to be planning, doing paperwork and preparing lunches so did not sit around doing nothing for those hours. Good luck with whatever you decide.:thumbsup:

miffy
21-01-2012, 09:29 PM
I charge full fees whilst they are at nursery or play group. The child is taking up one of your valuable under 5 spaces, you would find it difficult to fill the place whilst the child is at play group and the space is needed in the holidays.
I don't give sibling discounts anymore either.

Miffy xx

nic t
21-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I charge full fees when mindees are at nursery and I do not offer a sibling discount either-they take up a space and normally when you lose 1 you lose the other so double hit on your income!

lucyD
23-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Just remember a lot of mums get money back for childcare costs, you are running a business-dont feel sorry for them! I know its hard but you work hard dont sell yourself short x

Wendybird
24-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Agreed, don't sell yourself short. I do offer a sibling discount for one family - only because I wouldn't be able to fill the other space as I have a variation to have them. If I had two spaces available I would not offer the discount (also they are lovely and I wanted them :D).

rosebud
24-01-2012, 01:39 PM
no sibling discounts here either. If dropping off and picking up at nursery I would charge full fees, if only picking up but they need the space in the holidays i would reduce the term time fee slightly (£30 for full day in holidays, £25 for short day during term time).