PDA

View Full Version : Informing other parents of new mindees

Lear
21-01-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm just putting together a folder for a new mindee who will be joining my setting next week and have realised that I have not informed one of my other mindee's parents that they will be coming! To be honest contracts were only signed last week so it has been a bit rushed.

Oh dear......I'll have to send them a quick text now and hope they will be OK with this and happy that their daughter will have some company!

onceinabluemoon
21-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I never tell parents in advance that a new LO is coming in. I usually just say to the child as it's coming in that we have a new little friend to play with today. One of the reasons for this is because in the past we have been messed around and a child has not come in, leading to disappointment from the children and questions as to why they didn't come from the parents.

What will you do if the parent was unhappy with it?

Maybe I am in the wrong, I'll be interested to see what other minders do. :)

Mouse
21-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm just putting together a folder for a new mindee who will be joining my setting next week and have realised that I have not informed one of my other mindee's parents that they will be coming! To be honest contracts were only signed last week so it has been a bit rushed.

Oh dear......I'll have to send them a quick text now and hope they will be OK with this and happy that their daughter will have some company!

Does school or nursery contact parents each time they have a new starter and hope they will be ok about it ;)

I wouldn't worry about it and certainly wouldn't text parents to tell them. What would you do if they turned round and said they weren't happy?

I would wait until next week and say how exciting it is that you're having a new starter that day and how lovely that X will have someone new to play with :D

rickysmiths
21-01-2012, 10:59 AM
To be honest I wouldn't text them I would tell them when you see them.

I had this exact same thing ove Christmas all my current mindees were away from 17th to 3rd Jan and I had a couple visit on 23rd, sign on 30th do a couple of settling sessions and started at the beg of Jan when the others came back!

They were a bit surprised but pleased and actually at the end of the day it is your business so they have no choice really.

nic t
21-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Please don't worry of they will be Ok or not, and def don't apologise for not letting them know, it kind of puts in their heads that they have a say in what you do.

I do always (if I remember!) tell parents when I have a new mindee starting. That's a far as it goes they certainly have no say!

The only time when the conversation goes alittle bit further maybe is when taking on an afterschooler if I already have one in the same class to see if there are any potential issues.

kellib
21-01-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't tell parents until the child is actually here and I've had no problems so far. Parents can't expect there not to be new children from time to time, that's what happens in a childminding setting.

Lear
21-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I'm a fairly new childminder so need to 'find my feet' and get a bit more confident!

Playmate
21-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I just introduce them when they start :thumbsup:

sarah707
21-01-2012, 02:51 PM
If I remember I put something in my newsletter - we are looking forward to welcoming xx who will be joining us at the end of the month, we are sure you will all help her to settle in.

But I don't make anything more of it than that :D

maluvsya89
26-01-2012, 10:04 PM
never thought about this!! thank you. this site helps so much with such little simple things that get missed x

miffy
27-01-2012, 07:56 AM
If I remember I put something in my newsletter - we are looking forward to welcoming xx who will be joining us at the end of the month, we are sure you will all help her to settle in.

But I don't make anything more of it than that :D

I do the same as Sarah.

You don't have to let other parents know at all - it's your business not theirs :)

Miffy xx

wendywu
27-01-2012, 08:14 AM
[Q
UOTE=onceinabluemoon;1040357]I never tell parents in advance that a new LO is coming in. I usually just say to the child as it's coming in that we have a new little friend to play with today. One of the reasons for this is because in the past we have been messed around and a child has not come in, leading to disappointment from the children and questions as to why they didn't come from the parents.

What will you do if the parent was unhappy with it?

Maybe I am in the wrong, I'll be interested to see what other minders do. :)

[/QUOTE]

No i am the same, i tell the parents once the new child has started. MY business i tell them who and how many children i take on. :thumbsup:

Tippy Toes
27-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Ive never heard of this before, have never told parents when a new one is starting. Its part of my business little ones come and go.

Jules12Wed
27-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I do the same as Sarah.

You don't have to let other parents know at all - it's your business not theirs :)

Miffy xx

I do the same too