PDA

View Full Version : Woe is me....

Lear
19-01-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm not really sure where this thread would go but here goes......

I mind a young boy and have been doing so since August - one of the questions his parent's asked me at our initial meeting was would I be taking on any more children. I had just started out minding and was happy with the number children I had so said no. Anyway, since then I've been asked to take on a young baby and did!

I have just found out that the boy's Mum is pregnant - she is nearly 30 weeks and I only found out as he told me (I'm not sure when the Mum was going to tell me, she managed to hide her bump under a big winter coat so I never had any idea she was expecting)! I feel terribly guitly as I won't be able to mind the new arrival - perhaps they asked me if I was going to take any more children on because they were planning a new addition and wanted to make sure I had the space (although nothing about this has ever been mentioned).

The little boy is so happy here, I love him to pieces and know that the parent's are happy with him being with me too! Due to the nature of her job I'm 100% the Mum will be returning to work and if they do ask me to mind the baby I'm going to feel so awful saying no!

Tippy Toes
19-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Don't feel bad, you cant hold a space that mum maybe wants for her second child. Especially if you had no idea until she was 30 weeks!

I presume mum will be off with baby for maternity leave, so that will be some time down the line if she did need you to have her new baby. You never know what is around the corner, the child you have taken on recently could leave etc.

I would just see how is goes, maybe mention to mum did she want you to have the new baby and take it from there.

I hope this makes sense :blush:

loocyloo
19-01-2012, 01:29 PM
don't worry,

you are not a mind reader! if parents don't tell you anything, or ask if you will be able to help, then you have every right to take on new children as YOU run YOUR business! ( plus if you said you weren't taking on anymore children, then in theory, you STILL wouldn't have been able to take on the babe! )

has mum actually told you yet? maybe you could ask what her plans are for maternity leave etc, and if the older child will be staying with you etc. if they do ask you to care for babe, then you may be able to get a variation to care for a sibling/continuity of care.

xxx

miffy
19-01-2012, 02:07 PM
I think you're perhaps getting a bit ahead of things and worrying too much. I'm sure mum will be taking some maternity leave and then, if she does want you to care for both children you stand a good chance of getting a variation for the baby as it's for continuity of care.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
19-01-2012, 02:11 PM
hon, dont' worry - she didn't tell you so why should you be expected to keep a place! plus she might take a year off so just wait and see what happens :)