PDA

View Full Version : Baby sleeps on tummy - permissions?

Helcatt
17-01-2012, 09:08 PM
What do you think?

I always monitor how babies sletep as part of the checks I do in the day

But as its not the norm for babies to sleep on their tummies, would you ask a parent to sign a permission of some description to say that that is what they do and are happy for me to?

HX

Katiekoo
17-01-2012, 09:33 PM
I'll be interested to see the answers as I have a liitle one who tummy sleeps, parents were advised that this was preferable for this child as a tiny infant for a medical reason, but the child continues to sleep this way.

rickysmiths
17-01-2012, 09:36 PM
My two were always tummy sleepers. Many of the mindees I have had are including one at the moment. It is perfectly normal once they can turn over and there isn't much you can do to stop them. I have never worried about it to be honest.

Helcatt
17-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm like that once they can turn themselves over, but this is a tiny one, which is why I was wondering.

I didn't even think of it, mum suggested it as she knows its not seen to be the done thing

I said I'd have a think but thought it would be ok, as I check on her every 15 mins when she's asleep anyway as well as have the video monitor

HX

Katiekoo
17-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm like that once they can turn themselves over, but this is a tiny one, which is why I was wondering.

I didn't even think of it, mum suggested it as she knows its not seen to be the done thing

I said I'd have a think but thought it would be ok, as I check on her every 15 mins when she's asleep anyway as well as have the video monitor

HX

That's funny, mum suggested it to me too. I think the sleeping on the back campaign must be working very well! :)

onceinabluemoon
18-01-2012, 07:27 AM
It's bizarre isn't it? When my eldest children were babies we were told to lay them on their tummies with their heads to one side as it helped with digestion, wind etc and prevented them from choking if they were sick. Now the advice is to lay them on their backs as laying on their tummies can make them suffocate!

I always laid mine on their backs or sides even when advice was to the contrary as that seemed the most natural thing to do.

I'm not sure that signed permission would be any good if anything did happen when you'd laid the baby on its tummy. I would contact your insurance company and ask them where you stand and what permissions you need in place, preferably in writing so you have the answer in writing.

rickysmiths
18-01-2012, 07:42 AM

HX

The advise is to lay new babies on their back for good and proven reason, it has reduced cot death.

I think if a parent wanted something different I would at the very least want a letter from the doctor/health visitor confirming there was good medical reason why this baby should be put down on their tummy. If this is not forthcoming then I would explain that I have to act in line with the national guidelines, if you don't without medical reason you would not be insured if anything went wrong.

Of course what the parents do in their own home is their own affair.

I wonder why this mum wants to go against the solid advise? Does she give her reasons?

catminder
18-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I would always place a baby to sleep on his/her back. If they manage to move themselves onto their tummy then I think that would be ok as they would also be able to move themselves back onto their back or side. If a parent asked me to place a baby on his/her tummy then I would refuse and explain why ie risk of cot death etc.

The Juggler
18-01-2012, 01:44 PM
problem is you can put any baby to sleep on its back as per advice but if the baby turns over in their sleep you can' t keep turning them back.

I would not get a permission form hon, I would put baby down on it's back and let them choose their way of sleeping :)

waterwaybabies
18-01-2012, 01:45 PM
tricky one.
i would get them to sign something just in case the tummy sleeping caused a problem.
we put all our mindees down on their backs as its supposed to be safer but they end up in a position comfortable to them anyway.

if the number of flat heads im seeing on babies at the mo is anything to go by the back to sleep campaign is very popular?