PDA

View Full Version : Massage in Schools

catlyn
17-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi everyone...just been reading this online
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2087753/Parents-uptight-primary-school-gets-pupils-massages.html

just wondering what your thoughts were on it....tbh Im not sure Id be happy if it was my childrens school....if I had any little ones as mine are grown up now.... but i can see why they thought it was a good idea in the first place

Mouse
17-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Typical Daily Mail blowing things out of proportion. The way the headline is worded you'd think children were lying on massage beds, stripped off & being rubbed with massage oil :rolleyes:

My experience of school massage is that one child sits down while the other stands behind them giving a gentle massage on their shoulders & upper back. No one is forced to do it & the children generally enjoy it. I wouldn't have any problem at all with my children joining in if they wanted to.

HELEN10
17-01-2012, 01:52 PM
It's done in the primary school I pick up from and the children practice on me
when they come home :)

They learn different techniques called, the elephant, giraffe, butterfly etc. One little girl is only six and she is brilliant, and yes it is only back and shoulders, fully clothed !

louise
17-01-2012, 10:20 PM
My Ds has been doing it since reception and he is now in year 3. Like it has been mentioned its only the shoulders and head over clothes. I got to watch last year as the kids where taught a new one linked to the weather. School also does massage breakfast where you get to see what they have learnt and I must say it is lovely very light and relaxing. The children have to ask permisson and ask if they aren't doing it too hard. The children or parents can opt out if they wish.

catlyn
17-01-2012, 11:41 PM
ah I see thanks for the info....it doesnt happen in schools around here so I was just going by what it said in the paper...should have know with the Daily Mail :rolleyes: and also the picture this morning on the website had a child lyng down on a couch with another child massaging their back,.....now the picture is of a childs head and shoulders being massaged ?????

tulip0803
18-01-2012, 12:28 AM
It's done in the primary school I pick up from and the children practice on me
when they come home :)

They learn different techniques called, the elephant, giraffe, butterfly etc. One little girl is only six and she is brilliant, and yes it is only back and shoulders, fully clothed !

Our local school has been doing this for about 3 years. It promotes caring, working together, relaxation, co-operation etc. It was started when there was a spate of bullying in the older class.

In our school (reletively small, about 90 pupils from age 3-11) each class sits in a circle massaging the back of the child in front. If a child does not want to take part that is fine but they all seem to love it. Everything is named after animals:)