PDA

View Full Version : Am I being unrealistic?

lucyD
16-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Hi. I got my reg cert friday! Now want to get started finding mindees! My problem is I only really want 2 under 5's 30-40 hours a week. Not keen on school runs as small car & logistics is making my brain ache!! :panic: Just wondering how realstic this is, do people mainly want after school etc Now this is all real I am wondering how its all gonna work out. Having a nightmare trying to work things out in my head! How do you guys get on?

rickysmiths
16-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Its hard to tell what inquries you may get.

I have done before and after school for the last 6 years but at the moment there have been no requests for it. Whe my own two were in Primary I choose to have 3-4 years only doing before and after school term time only but I was in the school and so people asked me for that kind of care. Now mine are in sixth form and Uni I don't have that connection and in this area there are breakfast and after school clubs.

However if you don't want to do school runs you don't have to. Just because someone phones for a certain kind of care it is up to you completely if you want to take them or not. You are not compelled to take every family who comes to see you.

For example I will have a vacancy in April, a couple came to see me yesterday afternoon who seemed ideal on the phone having met them I wouldn't feel comfortable having them in my setting so I won't be offering them a place simple. Do remember that interviews do work both ways.

snufflepuff
16-01-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't do school runs, I only care for under 5's (infact only under 3's currently). I did have one little boy to take to school for about 6 months but hated every minute, it wasn't worth the money at all and made my son poorly (asthma)

I now work 3 days a week, 3 mindees on a Monday (with a variation) and 2 mindees on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Plus my own son. Perfect for me as I never wanted to work full time, and also really dislike having just one mindee because then I'm not even earning minimum wage which really annoys me!!!

lucyD
16-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Thank you for that. I was just worrying due to equal op etc that if I turn a parent down they could get funny but I suppose as long as you explain it will be ok. I will just hold out until I get some under 5's I think as that is what I want. I have a 13 month old son & think it will be best for him as well if I dont have to drag him out all the time! Do you have funded children? thinking of doing level 3 so I have more to offer but as I am new think I need to take one step at a time!! just worried I will never get my first mindee...

lucyD
16-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't do school runs, I only care for under 5's (infact only under 3's currently). I did have one little boy to take to school for about 6 months but hated every minute, it wasn't worth the money at all and made my son poorly (asthma)

I now work 3 days a week, 3 mindees on a Monday (with a variation) and 2 mindees on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Plus my own son. Perfect for me as I never wanted to work full time, and also really dislike having just one mindee because then I'm not even earning minimum wage which really annoys me!!!

How did you get that variation? Is it worth checking with ofsted if you do get more than 2 wanting a place, as I have my own son he is counted so am limited to 2 but think I could handle 3 as I know this age group really well.. Thanks :)

snufflepuff
16-01-2012, 11:00 AM
How did you get that variation?

I have it because 2 of the mindees are brothers, so they granted it for sibling continuity (otherwise one of them would have had to go to a nursery instead.) I think variations are usually only granted for continuity of care.

I don't do the funded hours. I already have a level three but didn't really want the extra pressure and work involved in becoming accredited. I might do it one day!

mummyMia
18-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Thank you for that. I was just worrying due to equal op etc that if I turn a parent down they could get funny but I suppose as long as you explain it will be ok. I will just hold out until I get some under 5's I think as that is what I want.

I only take on under 5's and have not found it to be a problem at all. I do get quite a few enquiries for older children but I just say 'Sorry, I only look after children aged under 5" and leave it at that without offering any other explanation. Nobody has made an issue out of it so far. :)

jane5
18-01-2012, 08:29 PM
I only have under 5's and I am full and have a variation for 2 days for 4 under 5's.

I advertise this as a plus point and the parents I have, choose me because they didnt want a minder with lots of older children and school runs in all weather.

Good luck

loocyloo
18-01-2012, 08:39 PM
i currently only have under 3's ! as thats is what i have been asked to have! ( well, i do take a 8 yr old to school one morning a week, but he arrives, plays lego/football/DS with my DS and then we go to school! )

i would actually like a couple of schoolies, as i'm doing school runs fro my own children anyway !!! ( i have been offered some, but one of the days would be difficult and the parents would drive me potty, so currently i don't have a vacancy! ;) )