PDA

View Full Version : Should I backdate?

JennyM
15-01-2012, 08:21 AM
I have been minding J since July and C since October. They are my only mindees in the EYFS.

I have been doing observations, taking lots of photos etc but I have yet to put anything into their learning journals. I have also only just got my head round planning :o and I finally feel confident that I know what I am doing.

Should I just start their Learning Journals/planning from now when it will all be in good order or do you think Ofsted would prefer me to backdate to when they started with me?

muffins
15-01-2012, 08:37 AM
I think I'd back date a couple of mths at least so it gives me a good starting point! As far as ofsted are concerned I think it would depend on the inspector!

Sorry that wasn't much help was it!:rolleyes:

Zoomie
15-01-2012, 03:57 PM
You should be able to tell from your photos when they were taken, so that will help you with their dates.

sonia ann
15-01-2012, 04:00 PM
i would include your obs and photos that you have already done............i spend my life putting things in my elj's retrospectively :blush:

sarah707
15-01-2012, 04:16 PM
it is very important that you can show the child's starting points - the things the child could do and say and play with etc when he first started with you.

This then leads on to obs, assessments and planning for the future... and is how you show evidence of progression.

I would use the photos to show progression and then write in your SEF how you are evaluating the ways you work and making changes to the LJs.

Hth :D

miffy
15-01-2012, 10:57 PM
I agree with Sarah - Ofsted will look for evidence of how you know what the child could do when they started with you, eg from talking to parents and your own observations and then what you have done to help the child progress.

Whatever evidence you have I would put it in the child's Lj even if it is a bit sketchy at first, then build on it from now.

Miffy xx

JennyM
16-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks all, I have enough info to go back and think about how they have progressed.

I will use the SEF to explain how I have progressed/am progressing too.

angeldelight
16-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks all, I have enough info to go back and think about how they have progressed.

I will use the SEF to explain how I have progressed/am progressing too.

Good luck in writing it up all ... more time needed ha

Angel xx

JennyM
16-01-2012, 09:50 AM
I know! :panic: