PDA

View Full Version : 4 year old in a buggy

MargoLeadbetter
14-01-2012, 09:14 PM
I am a new childminder with a 4yo child starting Monday after school. The parents only phoned up and signed contracts this morning. Parents say child isn't used to walking and will run off:eek: so I should collect him from school in a buggy.

I really don't want to collect a 4yo for a ten minute walk in a buggy, should I just go along with the parents or encourage him to walk?

Zoomie
14-01-2012, 09:30 PM
As you don't know the child, I think the first time you should play it safe and take the buggy. RA the situation very carefully.

You might find though, that if you lay the law down very clearly at the beginning the child will be perfectly behaved for you :)

Mollymop
14-01-2012, 09:30 PM
A 4 year child will be too big for a buggy.
A 4 year old will be starting school in September so I would definately expect the child to be walking along sensibly with me by the age of 2/2.5

It sounds to me as if parents are putting child in buggy because the child is running off and do not know what best to do to stop child misbehaving,

At the age of 4 the child should understand how to behave when out and about, she should understand not to run off when you ask her not to.

You will find children behave better when they are with you rather than with their parents (hopefully) , so don't put child in buggy.. make child walk - ask them to hold buggy and be firm at all times if they let go.
If child goes to run off explain to the child that they must stay with you and be firm... purchase a wrist strap.

Hope it works out well x

Mouse
14-01-2012, 09:42 PM
If there is not a medical reason why the child can't walk, I would not be putting a 4yr old in a buggy, especially if it is a short walk.

I would thank parents for warning you that he may run off and tell them that you really appreciate them telling you. But explain that for a child of that age you would prefer to get their child used to walking asap.
Perhaps suggest they may be happier if you used reins, or a wrist strap to start with. It does sound as if their concern is about him running off, so telling them you will use a wrist strap may make them feel a bit more confident about letting him walk.

sarah707
14-01-2012, 09:42 PM
I would use a wrist strap until I get the measure of the child... then do regular risk assessments to check his ability to listen to instructions, do as he is asked, understand the risks of running off etc.

I would combine it with lots of road safety activities.

hth :D

MargoLeadbetter
14-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Thank you very much for your replies. I have to take the buggy on Monday as the dad is insisting he meets me at school at pick up time to check the child is ok. I very much feel there is something they aren't telling me here, they seemed very concerned that I didn't have a car (for the ten minute school run). I believe kids should be walking as soon as they are able.

Mouse
14-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Thank you very much for your replies. I have to take the buggy on Monday as the dad is insisting he meets me at school at pick up time to check the child is ok. I very much feel there is something they aren't telling me here, they seemed very concerned that I didn't have a car (for the ten minute school run). I believe kids should be walking as soon as they are able.

Have they ever used childcare before? It could be that they are just very anxious parents. Sometimes it does take time for parents to trust that someone else is more than capable of safely looking after their child.

Or, as it was all done very quickly and they do seem overly cautious, it could be that there's more to it :rolleyes:

MargoLeadbetter
14-01-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't want to say too much, but I understand that he's been to another childcare setting for a short time and not settled, I have heard one story from them and another from children who know him. I am being very wary with this one and don't want to give them any cause to complain :(

Mouse
15-01-2012, 12:17 AM
It sounds as if you're being very sensible. Have you got a settling period written into your contract so you can terminate it easily if things don't work out? Hopefully it won't come to that and you'll be able to work together with the parents. Always best to err on the side of caution though.

sharonmanc
22-01-2012, 09:47 AM
How has it gone this week with little one without the buggy??

The Juggler
22-01-2012, 11:06 AM
yes hon. how did it go? I would def. challenge the parents on the benefits of him learning how to walk sensibily and the physical benefits too :thumbsup: