PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you NOT use photos in Learning Journals?

Maza
14-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Basically, although they look fabulous and are the parents favourite bit, I resent printing out photos of mindees. I don't even print out photos of my own DD (much to the annoyance of her grandparents) because it is costly. Because we all do it it has become the norm and I fear we might be marked down if we don't. Don't mean to sound like a heartless minder - I'm always taking photos of mindees because I am so proud of their achievements throughout the day. I often email them to parents so that they too can be proud, but I'm just going through so much ink! Moan over.

Velleity
14-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I use photos.
It looks so bland without them I think.
I don't use printer ink to print them out though.
I just go into Boots and print out the few that I need each week.
Can't be costing me more than a pound a week I believe.

BuggsieMoo
14-01-2012, 08:45 PM
There is only one LJ I dont put photos in and that is because the parents refused to give permission for photos to be taken of their child so it is now a LLB (Look Listen and Note) LJ. Ofsted have seen this and together with the refusal to have photos taken are happy that there is none included within it.

For the others I either batch order photos (like the OP does in Boots) or I use my Pogo printer as other than buying paper at 70 sheets for £8 I do not buy ink for it.

I think it is just personal preference but as a parent as well I loved seeing my LO's LJ from nursery and the pics showing me their day when I was not there. Its certainly something I will treasure.

Mollymop
14-01-2012, 08:49 PM
I print the children's photos out on standard paper from my printer l dont go out of my way to go to stores and get them done on proper professional paper etc costing the earth!
I do think you need them though, more than just for parents to see, it is important in my opinion to have them as evidence to link the children's formal observations to their next steps and development matters grids. It just wouldn't be the same with a photo :)

loocyloo
14-01-2012, 08:59 PM
i either print them out draft onto normal printer paper, or i bulk buy photos on truprint and then get each photo quite cheaply when i order them.

i use my pogo too, but not so much at the moment, as i seem to be printing loads everyweek! ( i am just finding this current batch of children so amazing! and they are ALL always doing something new !!! ) where do you find your pogo paper at £8 for 70 sheets??? it cost me a fortune last time.

i like photos in the LJ, i usually write what else was going on with it, but i think it says what i am trying to say, so much more clearly than i can in words!

Carol M
14-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I print my photos off and file them in my album. I have years of photographic evidence here and at my last inspection (Jan 09) the inspector spent quite alot of time looking through them. She said it was fantastic evidence. I have continued to do this and parents can request copies.It's a shame not all parents look at the pics !
I have just decided to produce a powerpoint of pics that will link to the LJ's I do. I do not want to print off more pics to put in the LJ's! I use enough ink!
Carol xx

sarah707
14-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I sent off a batch at a time for online printing and never resent the expense as I feel it is a professional way of presenting evidence that will hopefully be treasured... and even if it isn't I know I have done my best.

It is also a legitimate business expense :D

sonia ann
14-01-2012, 09:44 PM
I use standard paper and my photo printing options gives me the option to do 9 wallet prints to a page, if I select quick print as well it is really economical and the prints are fine for diaries and journals

Zoomie
14-01-2012, 09:54 PM
I print 12 photos to a A4 page (I use googles picasa 3), and find I only do 1-2 pages per month for all my mindees.

Seems quite economical to me, but I do know that the nursery prints even smaller photo's - almost a thumbnail / computer icon sized one, so they must easily get about 60 per page.

Edited to say that I give the parents digital copies of the photo's so they are able to print professional looking photo's if they are a particularly good shot.

Mollymop
14-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I use standard paper and my photo printing options gives me the option to do 9 wallet prints to a page, if I select quick print as well it is really economical and the prints are fine for diaries and journals

Same here so much cheaper and stays behind the display pocket so it matters not! :) x

Cazz
14-01-2012, 10:52 PM

I do the same - wallet size on normal paper. I don't use scrapbooks though, my learning journeys are the 40 page display folders with the clear plastic sleeves and I stick the photo's on to coloured card (different colours throughout to brighten it up) and then put them back to back in the sleeves. The sleeves make them a bit shiny as if they were glossy photo's and they're also protected.

My dw told me to use plenty of photo's because anyone can write down that a child has done something etc but a photo is evidence and Ofsted like to see that.

RedDragon
15-01-2012, 08:48 AM
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/page/snapfish

99 Prints for 99p.

keeks
15-01-2012, 09:04 AM

I do the 9 prints on standard paper too. I don't know about quick print though. Where do you select it?

xx

rickysmiths
15-01-2012, 02:20 PM
I sent off a batch at a time for online printing and never resent the expense as I feel it is a professional way of presenting evidence that will hopefully be treasured... and even if it isn't I know I have done my best.

I am the same as Sarah. I have always given my parents photographs. They pay me a decent fee to care for their children and I have never minded having photos printed.

rosebud
15-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Mine LJ's are at least 50% photos. The children love looking through them and talking about them, it helps them reflect on their own lives and learning and its lovely to listen to them remembering things we have done together. I print 4 per month on a sheet of A4 photo paper per child and don't find it particularly expensive, its just one of the costs of providing a service - same as food, etc.

Ripeberry
15-01-2012, 02:41 PM
I print out small photos for the LJ's. I always take way too many photos anyway. So at the end of each term I share the relevant photos with each family through Google. They each have their own account and I just upload a new album each time :thumbsup:

Maza
15-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Okay, you've all talked me out of being a stingey old moo and I've just printed off tons of pictures - but I ran out of ink before I had finished. GRRRR.

miffy
16-01-2012, 07:42 AM
I print out photos at home on ordinary paper - smallish so 10 or 12 to an A4 sheet. Parents love to see them in the lj and they break up the writing! :D

Miffy xx

mama2three
16-01-2012, 08:15 AM
I print out photos at home on ordinary paper - smallish so 10 or 12 to an A4 sheet. Parents love to see them in the lj and they break up the writing! :D

Miffy xx

they do break up the writing , and also cut down on the writing by at least half - whats the saying? Something about a picture saving a thousand words - its certainly true for my ljs.

sonia ann
16-01-2012, 09:32 AM
I do the 9 prints on standard paper too. I don't know about quick print though. Where do you select it?

xx

probably depends on your printer but on ours select file; select print;window comes up for printer; select properties; select printing preferences

angeldelight
16-01-2012, 09:37 AM

I do the same

It does look nice too when you can see the children doing activities and having fun

Angel xx

catminder
16-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Basically, although they look fabulous and are the parents favourite bit, I resent printing out photos of mindees. I don't even print out photos of my own DD (much to the annoyance of her grandparents) because it is costly. Because we all do it it has become the norm and I fear we might be marked down if we don't. Don't mean to sound like a heartless minder - I'm always taking photos of mindees because I am so proud of their achievements throughout the day. I often email them to parents so that they too can be proud, but I'm just going through so much ink! Moan over.

I buy my ink from ebay - I get 20 cartridges for £10. You can get ink for most printers on there.

juelmer
18-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi,

I don't put photos in my LJ, I post them to a secure website every Friday so the parents can view them with their children over the weekend. Grandparents can also log in and view them too. This way I can put lots on and it doesn't cost me anything and at the end of the term I burn them to a DVD with the videos I've took and the children take them home to keep forever. The parents, Grandparents and children say this is their highlight.
The only time I print photos is when I'm doing an obs sheet and would like to include photos as evidence.

maisiemog
18-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I have my internet through virgin media so get 50 free prints a month through snapfish. I only have to pay for postage then so it isnt expensive at all. I sometimes go over the 50 photos a month (like before christmas and when we had a big party) but its still not expensive. And it keeps my tax bill down!!!

buildingblocks
18-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I have my internet through virgin media so get 50 free prints a month through snapfish. I only have to pay for postage then so it isnt expensive at all. I sometimes go over the 50 photos a month (like before christmas and when we had a big party) but its still not expensive. And it keeps my tax bill down!!!

Ooo I never knew that how do I do that please as I pay for mine in town