PDA

View Full Version : Totally Ot but help me please before I go mad!

jumpinjen
13-01-2012, 05:52 PM
It's about my house move, or the lack of it - we had an offer accepted the first week in November and they are still faffing around.... my husband told them firmly on Monday that they had til Thursday (yesterday!) to come up with a date for the end of Jan or we were pulling out - I have cancelled contracts and my mat leave is running out and the beginning of March (four months since offer accepted) just won't work for us financially....

well they didn't come back with a date last night so hubby called the solicitor and mortgage advisor and called off the purchase today - then this evening the estate agent came back with an offer for the end of Feb with £2000 cashback on completion if we go ahead with it......

thing is, I have had major doubts about this house in the few months since and couldn't stop thinking about another house we saw that was in a terrible state but is in a dreamy location where all I can hear is BIRDS, no trains, no traffic, no helicopters, no sirens.... OMG but it is a tip and will be a tip for so long and cost so much money to do up.. and pulling on the current house will cost us about £1500 in new searches too and solicitors fees.....

we aren't rich, we can afford to change our mind but goodness knows when we could afford to do all the house needs doing for it....

I am totally tormented, feel bad for the other people selling, do I follow my heart or follow my head?

HELP ME!!!

Jen x

Mouse
13-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Oooh, what a dilema :panic::panic:

Have you tried writing a list of pros and cons of each house to see if one comes out above the other? And what does your DH think?

I wouldn't feel any guilt about pulling out of the first house. You've given them plenty of time to sort something out, but they chose to wait until after your deadline.

Would the second house be habitable, and OK to work from, without getting all the work done? Would you be prepared to live & work in a house that needs lots doing to it, or would it drive you mad seeing it all every day?

It does sound as if your would prefer the second house. I would seriously look into it. Find out exactly what needs doing, how much it will cost, time scales etc. If you can see any way to do it...I'd go for it! Sometimes life is too short to take the easy, sensible option and you have to be prepared to take a leap into the unknown :thumbsup:

jumpinjen
13-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Oooh, what a dilema :panic::panic:

Have you tried writing a list of pros and cons of each house to see if one comes out above the other? And what does your DH think?

I wouldn't feel any guilt about pulling out of the first house. You've given them plenty of time to sort something out, but they chose to wait until after your deadline.

Would the second house be habitable, and OK to work from, without getting all the work done? Would you be prepared to live & work in a house that needs lots doing to it, or would it drive you mad seeing it all every day?

It does sound as if your would prefer the second house. I would seriously look into it. Find out exactly what needs doing, how much it will cost, time scales etc. If you can see any way to do it...I'd go for it! Sometimes life is too short to take the easy, sensible option and you have to be prepared to take a leap into the unknown :thumbsup:

I was hoping someone would say something like that - I'm not very good at taking a leap into the unknown, it scares me and I've always liked to stay in my comfort zone! I would love to be braver though - this might be the perfect opportunity! It is 'liveable' - with several coats of paint to cover the dark blue walls, some fresh carpets to remove the doggy stink they currently hold, and a damn good clean (think several bottles of that cillit bang stuff and about twenty scourers!) I can work from there, and the set up of the house means we could live in one half whilst work was going on in the other half. I think it would drive me mad but ten minutes up the
garden with a cup of tea listening to the peace and quiet would restore me and eventually we would have the home of our dreams! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply mouse.... I think we have to be true to ourselves and go for it!
:eek: Jen x

ajs
13-01-2012, 09:07 PM
It's about my house move, or the lack of it - we had an offer accepted the first week in November and they are still faffing around.... my husband told them firmly on Monday that they had til Thursday (yesterday!) to come up with a date for the end of Jan or we were pulling out - I have cancelled contracts and my mat leave is running out and the beginning of March (four months since offer accepted) just won't work for us financially....

well they didn't come back with a date last night so hubby called the solicitor and mortgage advisor and called off the purchase today - then this evening the estate agent came back with an offer for the end of Feb with £2000 cashback on completion if we go ahead with it......

thing is, I have had major doubts about this house in the few months since and couldn't stop thinking about another house we saw that was in a terrible state but is in a dreamy location where all I can hear is BIRDS, no trains, no traffic, no helicopters, no sirens.... OMG but it is a tip and will be a tip for so long and cost so much money to do up.. and pulling on the current house will cost us about £1500 in new searches too and solicitors fees.....

we aren't rich, we can afford to change our mind but goodness knows when we could afford to do all the house needs doing for it....

I am totally tormented, feel bad for the other people selling, do I follow my heart or follow my head?

HELP ME!!!

Jen x

Your heart, you can do it up slowly, which is what we've done

~Grasshopper~
13-01-2012, 09:11 PM
follow your heart hun. buy the dream home in the location, you can do it up slowly.

i am impulsive and i bought my current house with out thinking of the bigger pucture, it was the only house i viewed (first time buyer aswell). it fitted mine and dp's needs at the time but now 7 years and 2 children later its far to small and has no land to extend and we have way too much debt to get another morgage if we sold. so we are stuck in a tiny 2 bed house forever.

i wish id bought a bigger house that needed working doing on it.

good luck x

Mouse
13-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I think we have to be true to ourselves and go for it!
:eek: Jen x

What an adventure. Good luck :clapping::clapping:

jumpinjen
13-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks everyone! We put in an offer this morning and they are considering it overnight - if they say no then we can't give them anymore so we will be back to the drawing board but if they say yes then odds are we will go for it! We did our current house up totally from it being a real throw back to the 30's with bacolite (?) light switches and the works and I think doing that made us realise just what havoc major rennovations can be like! Part of the house we offered on is 17th century and needs restoring before it can even be renovated! Well, wish me luck, pray for me, cross you fingers, whatever you do, I'll let you know which way it goes!
Jen x

Chimps Childminding
14-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Good luck!!! have to admit don't envy you!! Would love an old place, but couldn't do with having to live in it while doing it up :panic: but at if you think it would be worth it, you have to go for it!!

Demonjill
14-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Def follow your heart.

It will all fall into place

You will only think what if and regret it if you dont give it a go.

Maybe thats why things were dragging along - things happen for a reason - i would take that as a sign - but then thats just me lol:blush:

Good luck:thumbsup:

PixiePetal
14-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Really hope this falls into place for you :thumbsup:

I live in a Victorian farmhouse (on our farm :))on a quiet lane - I do get traffic going past so not feeling totally isolated but the peace is fantastic and the birds in the garden are worth living here for to say nothing of peaceful nights and no street lights:D

If you get it, it was meant to be, if not then that was meant to be too:)

Carol M
14-01-2012, 06:05 PM
OOohhhh exciting times for you. I was going to answer, go with your heart as it will be your home, but have read your updates. Fingers crossed they accept your offer. How I would love to be able to buy an old house to do up but I do not have the time or money so I am looking forward to retirement in a little log cabin in the country. I can dream anyway.
Carol xx

jumpinjen
22-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Well.... they finally accepted our offer but we probably won't be moving til next year now once everything has gone through as they still have another house to sell (they are blending two families) and we have done some of the most urgent work...... so one of my littlies is returning to me and i am back to work on the 9th Feb!!

Jen x

smurfette
27-01-2012, 11:00 PM
:clapping::clapping: great stuff, was meant to be so!!

nipper
27-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Are you still coming to Shropshire? If yes, pm me and you can pop round for a coffee and chat!:)