PDA

View Full Version : Day rate in school holidays

vickie74
12-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Help, had my first parents around today. They are with another cm at the moment, but are wanting to change for a couple of reasons, but one of them being price!! She has 2 lo's who she wants everyday afterschool 3.30-5.30 with a cooked dinner. She wants this on a per hour basis, however I have said to her that if she picks up from school on an ad hoc basis, I will still charge her, she was fine with that. However she also wants school holiday cover which is fine as it would be 2 or 3 days per week which is what I would like to do. Again she told me that she is being charge £28 per day. I have said I wouldnt do it at that rate, but I am thinking... I would quite like to get the kiddies, as it will work within my family etc. How much would be a good day rate 9.00 - 5.30 is what she wants, my hourly rate is £4.25..... This is my first contract as I have just started......advise appreciated.... thanks x;)

miffy
12-01-2012, 09:53 PM
If she is paying £28 per child per day from 0900 to 5.30 that seems cheap to me. Is she expecting you to undercut that?

My advice is don't underprice yourself as you'll only regret it later.

Miffy xx

vickie74
12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Yes she is paying £28 per day per child. I was thinking of charging £32 per day per child, yes this is more than she is currently paying, but I am discounting her - that makes my hourly rate £3.76!! I feel I dont want to loose her kids, but dont want to be taken for a ride either!!
:p

miffy
12-01-2012, 10:02 PM
If she has a problem with the price at £28 a day then surely she won't want to pay £32????

I think it's a very generous discount on your part though

Miffy xx

Zumba-mum
12-01-2012, 10:03 PM
It's hard when you first start out but what ever you do dont under charge this is your job and you have bills that need paying. I think your fee sounds good. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

vickie74
12-01-2012, 10:23 PM
So do you think I should charge £32 per day per child?? If I was a parent , and I was trying to negotiate with a childminder, I would probably say I was paying slightly lower than I actually am!!!!

Zumba-mum are you busy at the moment as I think you are in Bristol??

Vx:clapping:

Twinkles
12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
If you undercharge you will come to regret it.

You may be thankful of the work at first but when you are out and about with other childminders doing the same job as them but earning less you will resent it.

Here in Surrey she would be looking at £40 - £45 per day. Much more the closer to London you get.

JoJo*
25-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Dont forget you need to think about outings and costs for packed lunches and other treats which come with the half term -
Im in the same position - only 3 hours extra a day for me but it soon mounts up over the week.
I think parents will pay the extra to get someone the fully trust and are happy leaving the children with..... Dont under cut yourself its your job at the end of the day.

nikki thomson
25-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Help, had my first parents around today. They are with another cm at the moment, but are wanting to change for a couple of reasons, but one of them being price!! She has 2 lo's who she wants everyday afterschool 3.30-5.30 with a cooked dinner. She wants this on a per hour basis, however I have said to her that if she picks up from school on an ad hoc basis, I will still charge her, she was fine with that. However she also wants school holiday cover which is fine as it would be 2 or 3 days per week which is what I would like to do. Again she told me that she is being charge £28 per day. I have said I wouldnt do it at that rate, but I am thinking... I would quite like to get the kiddies, as it will work within my family etc. How much would be a good day rate 9.00 - 5.30 is what she wants, my hourly rate is £4.25..... This is my first contract as I have just started......advise appreciated.... thanks x;)

Sorry I'm abit confused and it doesn't take much, if she pays £28 a day per child already surely she won't want to pay more? If price is an issue with the other cm?.
But don't give her a big discount as you will regret it when there there all day and your being payed so little, think long and hard before making a decision. X

Goatgirl
25-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I find that some after schoolies are harder work in the hols as they want to be entertained constantly. You may well find you are spending alot to keep them amused, so I would make sure you are charging enough to make it worth while. Also amazing how exhausting it is to get through a day of 'what are we doing now?' every 10 minutes!

Up to you though. If £32 a day sounds ok to you, go for it :thumbsup: You could also always ask parents to provide packed lunch in holidays as a saving to you ... and if you're including trips e.g. to soft play in the price point this out to her ;).

Let us know how it goes!

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Mummits
25-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Do you know the other CM? Could you ask what her rate for holiday care is? I would be more inclined to met the parents half way if I was sure I was being told the truth about what they are paying.

But even then, I wouldn't necessarily match or undercut their figure, since they are apparently unhappy with the other CM for other than financial reasons too. I'd also want to know more about what those issues were, so as to avoid them (or avoid the family if I thought they were being unreasonable).

TRACEY1969
25-01-2012, 02:12 PM
i would certainly find out about the cm before taking on the mindees. Also do they get tax credit as this helps with fees. When i get approached about minding and parents want to change cm i do my homework first and find out why as there are always two sides to a story.

vickie74
26-01-2012, 09:11 PM
The parents came back and said they were going to stay where they were for the time being, they also said one of the kids has had a tough year etc. I dont feel down by this, as I am not sure I really wanted it to be honest, but as it was my first it was a learning curve!!

Interesting though, the mum did say she hopes she is making the right decision staying with her current cm...... I am not sure I want to be working with someone who isnt necessarily loyal (or as much as you can expect!!). ;)x