PDA

View Full Version : can somebody advise me about hourly rates please

toddlers896
12-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Hi
I started my childminding today and I had to be there for 8am. Mum finishes work at 2 but by the time she got home it was 2.30. I dont want to be greedy but at the same time I dont want to be out of pocket. My question is do I just charge till 2 or do I charge till 2.30.
The same goes for if she gets in from work at 2.20, what would you charge.

Thanks for your help
Tracy x

kellib
12-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I would charge until 2.30, you were with the child until 2.30.

I have a parent who finishes at 2pm, her LO is contracted to me until 2.30pm to give her time to get here etc, today she turned up at 2.20pm but I'm still paid until 2.30pm as that's what's in the contract.

Pipsqueak
12-01-2012, 04:07 PM
you had to be where hun? are you not childminding from your home?

You would charge till the time you worked till.

snufflepuff
12-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm a bit confused- are you working from your home or the child's home? The way you post is worded makes it sound like you are going to the child's home?

Anyway, yes I would charge. My late collection fee is £5 per 15 minutes- of course if it's just a one off and they have let me know they will be late I don't charge. Or perhaps speak to the parent about changing their contracted hours as they clearly need you until later than 2pm.

toddlers896
12-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Hi again,

Ime looking after the child in her own home just until she gets used to me.

Tracy

karen m
12-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Firstly i would not care for lo in her home ,when does mum decide she is use to you, does she not then have to get use to differant surroundings,secondly what if you get enquiry from someone looking for a start in a couple of days, how will it work if a parent wants to visit to see you with other children in your surrounding you cannot take them to lo home what if Ofsted decided to do spot check unlikely i no but so many differant things

Mouse
12-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Even though you're not registered yet you should still have some agreement in place for what you are going to charge. Have you sat down with parents and discussed an hourly rate, a minimum number of hours you will do etc?

Even though you don't need to do it, it would all be good practice for when you are registered. It also stops things like this happeneing as you & the parents will both know where you stand.

Mouse
12-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Firstly i would not care for lo in her home ,when does mum decide she is use to you, does she not then have to get use to differant surroundings,secondly what if you get enquiry from someone looking for a start in a couple of days, how will it work if a parent wants to visit to see you with other children in your surrounding you cannot take them to lo home what if Ofsted decided to do spot check unlikely i no but so many differant things

Karen, in other posts Tracy says she's not registered yet, so is working in the child's home until her certificate comes through.

The Juggler
12-01-2012, 07:18 PM
i would definately have a word. ask mum does she need to review the hours she needs. If she says no, say that it might be better to do this as the late finish normally incurs a late fee (a higher rate fee) than if she just increases the hours she needs. :thumbsup:

karen m
12-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Sorry have not seen post were it says she is not registered yet,i do apologise

Mouse
12-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Sorry have not seen post were it says she is not registered yet,i do apologise

No apologies at all needed!

It only saw because I looked back on her previous posts to see whether or not she was already registered. I just pointed it out so it makes her current post easier to understand :thumbsup:

toddlers896
12-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Sorry guys, ime probably not explaining myself too good. Will make sure when i post again I will explain better.

Ime not registered yet, have had my inspection and have been approved but am still waiting on my hubbys crb coming back. Ofsted have said you dont have to be registered to look after a child in their own home so ime doing that untill my reg comes through.
Thanks for all you advise
Tracy x