PDA

View Full Version : do parents think paperwork is OTT?

Bluebell
11-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi i was just wondering if many of you found that parents seem to think paperwork is OTT? do you find it embarrasing asking them to fill out several pages of contracts and child record and then handing them a wad of policies and procedures that frankly i bet none of my parents have ever bothered to read!
I like the paperwork that sets out the contract and will explain to parents my terms. I also like that it seems professional. However there are so many pages! I feel a bit awkward asking parents to sign it all. Am I just being daft? How do you do it too - do you sit down with parent and read it out or emphasise important bits OR just send it home with them to read through and sign??!

www.bluelionchildcare.co.uk

Ripeberry
11-01-2012, 11:08 PM
I give them a file with all the policies to read at home at the first meeting. If they wish to go ahead they come for a second meeting and sign contracts. If they don't go ahead, then I ask for the file back and so far I've had them back.
When they do the contract, they sign a permission form as well and at the end it says that they have read and understood all my policies.
So it's in their interest to do so.

rickysmiths
11-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I give them a file with all the policies to read at home at the first meeting. If they wish to go ahead they come for a second meeting and sign contracts. If they don't go ahead, then I ask for the file back and so far I've had them back.
When they do the contract, they sign a permission form as well and at the end it says that they have read and understood all my policies.
So it's in their interest to do so.

This is what I do and I warn the parents that it will take at least an hour and would be quicker and easier if they are able to do it child free. I also offer to go to their house to do the signing process after the child/children are in bed to make it easier for them. I do visit them at home anyway if I can so I get an insight into the home environment.

singingcactus
12-01-2012, 07:19 AM
I keep my paperwork down to a minumum. I generally just email the policies to parents, they can read a copy in my house file while they visit. My forms only take a few minutes to complete. It helps that we all use the same doctors, schools, HV, place of work and well pretty much everything here so I already have all the numbers I need apart from parents mobiles and landlines.

EmmaReed84
12-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Parent understands WHY I have to do all the paperwork and get her to sign a million things, and give her slips of paper when mindees have an accident, had medicine etc. Although we both laugh and say "Another tree suffers"

Bluebell
12-01-2012, 09:25 PM
ok - thanks - its just i always am apologetic and end up blaming Ofsted but I know the paperwork is for my benefit as much as the parents and to clarify everything and make me look professional! Need to get some confidence in myself and my business. thanks for the advice

curly
12-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I understand the importance of it all and comply with all the paperwork, I also explain the importance of it fully to my parents however I think my parents think I had nothing to do at the weekend when they get their newsletter or planning with the knowing smiles I get :laughing:

lisa1968
15-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Parents don't know-and don't really want to know!!

When parents first come to me,they get my prospectus.
If they decide to use my services,then there are contracts to do and they are given a copy of my procedures and policies to keep,which they sign for.
I explain,and show samples of LJs and scrapbooks....

...other than that THEY HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE!!!!!
They don't know about risk assessments,planning,attendance registers etc-all theyre bothered about is that their child is happy and well cared for!!
And,to be perfectly honest,if it wasn't for Ofsted,I wouldn't do half the paperwork that I do!!!