PDA

View Full Version : How to work out a retainer

LisaCat80
11-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Hiya

I'm really confused by how to work out a retainer for a term time placement being held for a child i look after in the holidays.

Anyone got any advise?

Lisa

The Juggler
12-01-2012, 11:11 AM
i would not charge a retainer for a holiday only child hon, unless it was an under 5?

If its a schoolie, I'd be happy they just came in holidays and then see if I can fill place with a termtime after schooler.

I would maybe insist that all holidays are booked and paid or 50% paid for, a month before the holiday care is due as a form of non-returnable deposit though.

EmmaReed84
12-01-2012, 12:13 PM
I would always charge a half fee retainer to keep the space available. I annualise my fee so charge full fee for 38 school weeks and half fee 14 half terms/Summer hols. Obviously I would swap it round if I had a holiday only child... What would happed if the school was closed? Teach training days, snow days etc... Plus by annualising it it means you get a steady wage each month and parent has reassurance you would be available for care with notice if needed

miffy
12-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I would always charge a half fee retainer to keep the space available. I annualise my fee so charge full fee for 38 school weeks and half fee 14 half terms/Summer hols. Obviously I would swap it round if I had a holiday only child... What would happed if the school was closed? Teach training days, snow days etc... Plus by annualising it it means you get a steady wage each month and parent has reassurance you would be available for care with notice if needed

I have never had a parent who would expect to pay a term-time retainer for a child who only needs holiday care.

Miffy xx

EmmaReed84
12-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I have never had a parent who would expect to pay a term-time retainer for a child who only needs holiday care.

Miffy xx

What would you do if the school was closed for the day and your space was full and parent expected you to have LO? I know obviously you would not be able to, but say for example you took on a holiday only child, then during that contract you filled your TTO spaces and parent just assumed you would be able to have... Would you tell them from the onset that you dont pay a retainer so dont expect a space?

I havent yet come across a holiday only child, all the queries I had were TTO and I charge a retainer for holidays as I am available to work and have been used on occasions during the hols which was fine.

miffy
12-01-2012, 12:34 PM
It would be clear in the contract that I couldn't do that - but this would probably only arise if the child was under 8 anyway and all other under 8 places were full.

In the past I've had some term-time only work and some holiday only work so have never faced this.

But personally I still wouldn't be able to charge a retainer for school age children who only wanted holiday cover as there is far too much ad-hoc holiday care in my area anyway.

Miffy xx

EmmaReed84
12-01-2012, 12:41 PM
It would be clear in the contract that I couldn't do that - but this would probably only arise if the child was under 8 anyway and all other under 8 places were full.

In the past I've had some term-time only work and some holiday only work so have never faced this.

But personally I still wouldn't be able to charge a retainer for school age children who only wanted holiday cover as there is far too much ad-hoc holiday care in my area anyway.

Miffy xx

Ahhh... I think sometimes this job would be soooo easier if there was just one price for EVERYTHING lol

LisaCat80
13-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for your replies guys.

It definately would be easier if there was a set charge for everything! :)

This is my first Holiday only child too.

I have charged a retainer because she eventually wants the term time placement but is not sure when she will need me to start. So he isnt really a holiday only placement.

I had considered teacher training days but not unexpected school closures, so it definately makes sense to me to charge a retainer for times where I may be needed.

Thanks again :)