PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about letting my Husband be my assistant...

jw19nr
20-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Hello. My husband and I had a conversation today about how it would be good if he became my assistant so we could both work from home etc. At the moment, he works 12hour shifts for an average wage and doesn't particulary enjoy it.

I know it goes on size a bit...are there any particualar space requirments? We have a 3 bed mid terraced cottage, small living room, fairly big back room which is a dining room/playroom, we then have a small ish kitchen and downstairs bathroom. We have 3 bedrooms upstairs, ours, my daughters and a spare room. What do you think our numbers would be?

Also, I am not registered yet, I have my pre-reg next week, do they allow extra numbers if you are a new childminder? I am so keen to be allowed more than one under one as my DD is 5months and have loads of friends with babies the same age.

I have childcare experience and qualifications, but my husband doesn't. He is great with kids and his mum has always been a childminder so has grown up with it.

We are both young (I am 21, he is 23) will this make a difference?

Any advice?

sarah707
21-05-2008, 07:13 AM
You really need to speak with Ofsted about his one... for a start, an assistant wouldn't necessarily mean you get more children... plus like you say you are newly registering and they do take that into account.

A better option might be for him to actually register but even then you are not guaranteed extra children and it's a bit scary if all your eggs are in one basket and no children come along... plus you'd both have to pay the new charges, which would be a lot for 2 in one setting.

Sorry I've given you lots to think about there... hope it helps :D

Tatia
21-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Maybe you could get yourself registered and set up business and then see how it goes. If you start getting really busy and fill your spaces then you can register hubby as your assistant. That way, you have his income to fall back on til you get established but it also gives you somehting to work towards.

Pauline
21-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I would ask Ofsted about getting him registered as your assistant when they come to do your pre-reg, that way you will know for sure and can get all the paperwork done at the same time.

Then do as Tatia says and get yourself up and running first, once you are sure you can get the work then your hubby could look at giving up work. I wouldn't let him give up until you are sure there is childminding work out there.

:)

Blaze
21-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I agree with Pauline...:)

Tatia
21-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Yes that's a much better plan, Pauline. He can still continue working but get all the stupid paperwork out of the way. I'm registering my hubby as my assistant even though he has no intention of giving up work. It just makes school runs and doctor's appointments so much easier.

chez1373
28-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I have have just sent paperwork off for my partner to be my assistant but he would do it for free lol

Tily Bud
29-05-2008, 11:42 AM
My husband has been registered as my assistant since last nov, he still works full time but is there at different times of the week depending on his shifts. Must admit i dont pay him xx It does help when i need to nip on a school run etc when the weather is bad, although he doesnt do much assisting just gets silly with them x

jaz
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Yes that's a much better plan, Pauline. He can still continue working but get all the stupid paperwork out of the way. I'm registering my hubby as my assistant even though he has no intention of giving up work. It just makes school runs and doctor's appointments so much easier.

Thats a really good idea!!

I might try to talk my hubby round to the idea as he is really good with the kids, and it would be really helpful after school etc, then he could look after the kids and I would be able to cook dinner for them all etc.

Is there much paperwork to do to register him as an assistant?

J
x

Pauline
03-07-2008, 09:08 PM
No not much at all Jaz, just the CM2 form to complete and Ofsted do the rest including enhanced CRB if he hasn't got one.