PDA

View Full Version : Chinese New Year activities

SamBaker
11-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I've got one or two ideas (order a huge chinese after work!!) but was just wondering what activity ideas you all had. I've got quite a range of children at the moment. Going to have prawn crackers when the children come home from school and they can all have a go at eating them with chop sticks.

babs
11-01-2012, 01:50 PM
we are tasting chinese food using chopsticks, making dragon masks, doing a large dragon picture little bit each day. making chinese hats.. looking at picture of china, and every day words in chinese writing .

SamBaker
11-01-2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.free-chinese-names.com/index.php?user=charlotte&submit=Create

This is a great site for the childrens names, I done this last year. Print them out and laminate them

It's a small world
11-01-2012, 05:24 PM
*Chinese lanterns with dragons cut out
*Chinese food (basic) with chopsticks
*Chinese money envelopes - with choc coins
*Chinese New Year cards with mindees name in Chinese
*Colour dragons in
*Have the story of how the animals became the animal for each year- table of which animal which year
*Chinese flag and pictures of China
*Chinese hats

Well it does go on for 15 days :laughing:

loopyloopy
11-01-2012, 06:45 PM

This is a great site for the childrens names, I done this last year. Print them out and laminate them

Thank you sam, its a lovely idea :thumbsup:

karensmart4
11-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Thank you, I've just done the children's names and saved them for printing out later.... they translated them all except for 'Esme' it couldn't find it :( we'll have to do something else for her :)

zippy
11-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Try spelling it a different way my lo is called lacei, wouldn't find it but when I Spelt it lacie it came up, ok so in theory is technically wrong but will save her feeling left out

uf353432
11-01-2012, 09:32 PM
One of the activities I am planning is to make fortune cookies using felt circles - you fold then in half like a half moon, sew a little stitch to keep them together at half way and then pull the corners down into fortune cookie shape and sew another little stitch to keep the crease in place that you just created. Then the kids put their fotune slips in and give them to their parents.

You can also make red envelopes and put gold coin sweets in as that supposed to represent good luck.

I bought chinese brocade material today for my fabric stash so that will be out and I also have a beautiful chinese dressing gown that was my mums.

Using chop sticks to eat dinner. Evening meals will be chinese inspired.

I think we'll also do something making dragons as well.

Jiorjiina
11-01-2012, 09:55 PM
If your mindees are able to use chopsticks, you could get them to do the same activities that they use in China and Japan to teach chopstick skills to children.

You need:

2 containers (plastic takeaway boxes are ideal!)
Chopsticks
Jelly beans
Mini Eggs (handily now available in supermarkets everywhere!)

What you do:

Put jelly beans and mini eggs in one container.

Use chopsticks to move them one at a time to the other container.

If you're really good, you can do a race and see who can move the most in under 1 minute!

SamBaker
12-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Thank you, I've just done the children's names and saved them for printing out later.... they translated them all except for 'Esme' it couldn't find it :( we'll have to do something else for her :)

I had this problem with my own daughters name Kerys, even spelt Cerys it didnt recognise it :( Had to be my own childs lol!

SamBaker
12-01-2012, 07:50 AM
If your mindees are able to use chopsticks, you could get them to do the same activities that they use in China and Japan to teach chopstick skills to children.

You need:

Chopsticks
Jelly beans

What you do:

If you're really good, you can do a race and see who can move the most in under 1 minute!

Love this idea, Must not eat the mini eggs, must not eat the mini eggs lol!!!

Stapleton83
14-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi,

Found some really good activities and free colouring/dot to dot etc for the Chinese New Year on the following website.

www.apples4theteacher.com

They have other resources too but some really nice things.

Sam

Toothfairy
15-01-2012, 04:28 PM
This looks good, a handprint dragon.

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/handprint_dragon.htm

Chimps Childminding
15-01-2012, 05:24 PM

You need:

Chopsticks
Jelly beans

What you do:

If you're really good, you can

do a race and see who can move the most in under 1 minute!

Now that might just be an idea that even my mindee who doesn't like doing arts/crafts will enjoy :laughing: some of my schoolies are only here an hour and its such a rush to try and get anything done once they have had a snack and drink before its time to feed babies, so this could work really well!! thanks!!!:thumbsup:

SamBaker
16-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Now that might just be an idea that even my mindee who doesn't like doing arts/crafts will enjoy :laughing: some of my schoolies are only here an hour and its such a rush to try and get anything done once they have had a snack and drink before its time to feed babies, so this could work really well!! thanks!!!:thumbsup:

I kno what you mean I have 3 that are only here half hour time we get home from school.

Carol
16-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I found this site and got my kids names Isla, Darcy from here.....

http://www.chinese-tools.com/names/search.html

Carol

miffy
16-01-2012, 08:27 PM

You need:

Chopsticks
Jelly beans

What you do:

Use chopsticks to move them one at a time to the

I really like this idea - think the older ones will love it too

Miffy xx

Stapleton83
20-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the Chinese name links I did it for all my mindees and they were thrilled!

Sam x